5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suspension Noise? Maybe Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suspension Noise? Maybe Motor Mount

I just started getting a click/clunk noise that is most noticable when I'm in 2nd gear going straight doing 20-25 mph and let off the gas abruptly. It kind of lags my letting off the gas by a split second or so. However, it may still do it letting off the gas smoothly. At first it sounded like it was coming from the passenger rear, but now I'm not quite sure. I'm thinking it is either a motor mount or a suspension mount. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 11:25 AM
WhiteMAX02

I think that your all over the place with this. First you thought it was coming from the passenger rear, now its a motor mount. Do you notice the noise going around a consistent turn (like an exit ramp)? Do you get the noise when you take off from a dead stop? Do you hear it going over speed bumps or any type of bump in general? How many miles does the car have on it? Describe it better, is it a clunk or a noise that sounds like when you pull styrofoam packing out of a box ( you would notice a noise like that going over a speedbump very slowly) Do you notice anything different in driveability? Does it only make the noise in 2nd gear and does it only do it when letting off the gas? Do you notice any problem taking off from a dead stop (ie chattering clutch)?

Old 06-19-2007, 05:37 PM

Alright, let me clarify the situation. The noise appears to be coming from the passenger side front. It sounds like a click or a pop. What happens is I'll get going and it'll make this sound when I take off, then if I back off the throttle, it'll make the sound again, and around we go. I can also get it to happen if I use the parking brake and try to get moving when stopped. What's interesting is that if it I get it happen by using the parking brake, I need to use reverse to get it again, and again around. So, it seems like something is popping in/out of position between the 2 different loadings. I've inspected the motor mounts and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong. I've also inspected the struts, and again nothing obviously wrong. Any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:48 PM
retired moderator

check the main hub nut. I had the same type of noises when it had backed off a bit and the end of the axle had a tiny bit of play inside the hub.

also inspect the brake calipers to make sure everything is tightened down.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:05 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=525759
Old 06-19-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
check the main hub nut. I had the same type of noises when it had backed off a bit and the end of the axle had a tiny bit of play inside the hub.

also inspect the brake calipers to make sure everything is tightened down.
by chance...you know what size it is? so i can have my friend grab the impact from work?...thanks
Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MyBlue02
by chance...you know what size it is? so i can have my friend grab the impact from work?...thanks
I want to say it's a 32mm...but it might be a 34. I have too many huge sockets around here
Old 06-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the info. In the mean time, how bad is it to continue to drive the car like this? So far, I haven't noticed any consequences, but that doesn't mean there won't be soon.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:26 PM

Have you had any of the parts in question apart lately? Done a suspension swap, or motor mounts, or brakes or anything?? If you have I would look to that area first. Make sure the top nut on the strut mount is tight, I've had mine back off a little before.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by sooner02r1
Have you had any of the parts in question apart lately? Done a suspension swap, or motor mounts, or brakes or anything?? If you have I would look to that area first. Make sure the top nut on the strut mount is tight, I've had mine back off a little before.
I haven't worked on any of that stuff in at least a year.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 PM

More inspection today. The noise seems to be coming from the hub area and is a pretty sharp click. When trying to pinpoint the location, I had to load the drivetrain in 1st and then go to reverse to get it again. It won't continue to do it in 1st or reverse once it has already done it. I'm not sure what could be wrong such that there is just enough play to do this once in each loading rotation. I inspected the wheel nut and it looked like it was on pretty tight. I'll need to buy the proper socket before I can really check by torquing it myself. Anyhow, just another problem with this car.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:55 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Y2K2Driver
More inspection today. The noise seems to be coming from the hub area and is a pretty sharp click. When trying to pinpoint the location, I had to load the drivetrain in 1st and then go to reverse to get it again. It won't continue to do it in 1st or reverse once it has already done it. I'm not sure what could be wrong such that there is just enough play to do this once in each loading rotation. I inspected the wheel nut and it looked like it was on pretty tight. I'll need to buy the proper socket before I can really check by torquing it myself. Anyhow, just another problem with this car.
That makes me even more suspicious of it being the hub nut loose.

Other possibility (longshot): bad swaybar endlink. Unlikely though.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:05 PM

How 'loose' would it need to be? I see in the service manual that it is torqued to 180-240 ft-lbs. I have no idea how tight it is on currently, but it's not loose in the sense that I can turn it by hand or anything. As I said, I'll have to get my hands on the proper tools this weekend and see. Thanks for the help irish, I appreciate it.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Well, here's an update with varied results. I initially didn't have access to a torque wrench that could go to 240 and so just tightened the axle nut to what I thought was about the right torque. While torquing the nut, I would get clicks from the area. Anyhow, the sound went away at this point. The next weekend I had access to a good torque wrench and tightened the nut to 240ft-lbs. I got one click while doing this and was done. At this point, the noise came back. So I'm at a loss here. How did torquing the nut on the 1st go around help the siutation while the 2nd made it worse?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 AM

Well, did you find out what the source of the noise was? (I Would like to know ... )

My 2 cents: I would also check out the passenger side axle/CVs.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K2Driver
I just started getting a click/clunk noise that is most noticable when I'm in 2nd gear going straight doing 20-25 mph and let off the gas abruptly. It kind of lags my letting off the gas by a split second or so. However, it may still do it letting off the gas smoothly. At first it sounded like it was coming from the passenger rear, but now I'm not quite sure. I'm thinking it is either a motor mount or a suspension mount. What do you guys think?

Thanks
I have experienced similar noise, coming from the right side of the engine compartment, or suspension. In my case, rustling/lisping was happening whenever I went ON/OFF gas. In addition, clunking noises when hitting manholes/bumps. I thought I have two different problems.

Well, I was wrong. I had the Right Engine Mount Replaced earlier today, and both the clunking and the rustling/lisping noises are gone. With 117K miles on the odometer, the car now drives like new.

My engine mount looked OK and my mechanic was hesitant to replace it .... this is the best ride improvement for my money (~ $150 labor and the part).