5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Input on frame damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Input on frame damage

Sad but true: In January I sold my 2k3 Max to my sis-in-law, after buying a new car (and staying in the Nissan family ) (and BTW, it's sorta sad to see the car that's been cared for all its life to suddenly be treated normally...)

Anyway, a few weeks ago some **** in a Mustang is going to fast on a slick road, and t-bones the Max on the driver's side. No major damage (doors replaced, some paint), but the frame member at the bottom of the doors was bent in.

So here's my question: Is that metal bar, under the side sills of the of the door, considered to be part of the unibody, or not? Have heard two different opinions, one that it's the "rocker" and not part of the frame, another that it (and the roof etc.) are all parts of the "unibody." I'm concerned because I believe in Texas, when you have unibody damage you have to declare it to a buyer - this is a big hit on value, and I've advised her to go after diminished value. Anyone know if this part is "frame"? Thanks!!!

For extra points , any advice on how to pursue a diminished value claim?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:31 PM

As for diminished valve, it's very hard to do... But I think if there's frame damage, the body shop needs to fix it so there is no more damage or as good as new. If there's still frame damage after fixing it, wouldn't it be still damaged and therefore not fixed?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Very sound, Mike

Aww... sorry to hear that. You seriously should have kept the Max instead of going for the G. Sorry, couldn't help it.

I believe the roof is indeed part of the unibody structure. When i was rear-ended several years ago i had damage to the frame all the way to the front and suffered approximately 10k in damages (roughly, i forgot the exact amount). My carfax report shows it was in an accident but has nothing stating it was a frame/unibody issue.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:24 PM
retired moderator

if it is the frame rail underneath the car (a couple inches inboard of the rocker panels), those would be considered part of the unibody, since they are the lower structural support member.

I'm referring to the square-profile rails that run from just behind the front subframe all the way back to a little rounded "ball" piece forward of the rear axle assembly.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by irish44j
if it is the frame rail underneath the car (a couple inches inboard of the rocker panels), those would be considered part of the unibody, since they are the lower structural support member.

I'm referring to the square-profile rails that run from just behind the front subframe all the way back to a little rounded "ball" piece forward of the rear axle assembly.
Yep, that's it thx. Crap - well, at least it'll be good ammo for the diminished value claim.