5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TSUDO Ebay Catback: First impressions, lots of details

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Sports Button FTW

TSUDO Ebay Catback: First impressions, lots of details

First off, this is my first exhaust work on my 5th gen. So with this addition, I am completely stock performance wise except for this catback and an asmoil cone filter added.

Ok, details about this catback:
First off, my main reason for purchasing this was to replace my old exhaust. Muffler is fine but b-pipe rusted and broke off at a certain point which made my car sound like I already had aftermarket exhaust. I was looking for the cheapest solution that would give me the most and this seemed to be it.

Advertised info on ebay:
SS system
2.5" inlet, 4.5" tip

Actual measurements:
the b-pipe is broken into two bolt on parts. (different from previous exhausts on my 4th gen)
first part of b-pipe (closest to cat converter) is 2.5" and has a nice resonator on it. The other part that bolts onto the muffler is 2.25" inlet. Also the muffler is 2.25" inlet. Muffler DOES have a 4.5" tip.
I compared size to stock and stock is definitely slightly smaller than 2.25" but I'm a little dissappointed because they stated 2.5" and the entire thing is not.

The quality of system however is pretty good. No issues whatsoever with install. Bolted on perfectly, sits perfectly behind muffler and has no movement or rattle or anything of that sort. however, I have a HUGE issue I need to get resolved....

After this install, I seem to hear a slight knock at times. It seems that my B&M short throw shifter is hitting the piping all of a sudden. Also, shifting feels very weird. Its a little easier to shift but when thrown into gear, sometimes it doesnt feel like its in gear....as if i have to throw it slightly longer to reach its destination. I dont feel this with every shift...in fact, first gear and second gear seem to be ok MOST of the time but 3rd gear especially gives issues...once again I can always get into gear but it just feels weird.

I have changed the tranny oil at around 70k miles (currently at 110k)
I see no leaks on the tranny body at all
I have a stage 1 exedy clutch (put in around 80-85k miles)
I dont race much and nothing crazy has happened in the past 2 weeks so I'm sure this strange feeling is coming from the exhaust addition. Maybe its so tight he lifted it up a little higher and its rubbing....?
Also all stock parts, hangers, whatever have been put back. Nothing is missing.

EITHER CASE!!! Onto the good part. Feedback on the feel of this exhaust.
I must admit, I am EXTREMELY happy with this exhaust system as far as sound and setup. On start up, car gives a little start growl just to let you know its there but I PROMISE YOU, the car is extremely quiet at idle. I have never started car when it was cold. I'm at work now and will see how that sounds.

As far as driving, I tried all levels. When creeping into rpm's you tend to hear the exhuast more but it is only REALLY heard between 2k-3.5k rpm. Afterwards, you kind of hear the intake more than the exhaust, especially if you are going at it.

If you go at it from the start, you dont even hear the exhaust much at high rpm. The exhaust is loudest when you are chilling at a high gear on a low rpm....i guess similar to most other exhausts.

As far as looks, i always preferred the oval look (megan, cattman) but for the price and fitment, I dont think you can go wrong with this setup.

ALSO!!!!! Contrary to belief, my car does NOT have an 02 sensor in the catback section. I was following the megan catback thread and seen some issues where an extra hole had to be drilled to add an 02 sensor? I'm in NJ and I believe my car is Fed Spec. I have an 01 and I do NOT have an 02 sensor in the catback. This saved me a huge headache and a few dollars

I broke my camera back in the day so I can not take pics or videos of this setup...YET but once I find a way, I will. In the mean time, any recommendations on fixing the rubbing issue? I was thinking the shield can probably be removed? This may bring more heat into the car but may avoid the rubbing?

If any questions, let me know. If I learn something new, i'll update.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Sports Button FTW

I received great advice to try and adjust the b-pipe hanger to fix issue. I will try to get this bent and hopefully it will fix my problem. Too bad I cant check under car until tomorrow morning.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:12 PM

I have the Tsudo on my '02 and I love it, it has the same statistics as yours with sound quality and loudness, it's basically a Greddy but for 1/3 of the price and really the only difference is mine doesn't say "Greddy" on the tip...lol
Old 06-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Sports Button FTW

hey did you have any issues with your shifter after install? I'm guessing you probably have stock shifter so your answer may not help my situation.

I just went for lunch and started the car when cold. It sounds so beautiful. Nice low pur once started and goes back to a close to stock idle. When driving tones change depending on rpm. If i had any other exhaust parts I would probably be a little concerned about loudness but as just a catback, it sounds great.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:23 PM

No my car still shifts fine...but yeah I have the stock shifter
Old 06-29-2007, 12:09 AM

does it look like the b-pipe will be able to fit a stock muffler?

i was interested in this catback mostly for the b pipe.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by AnDyMaN
does it look like the b-pipe will be able to fit a stock muffler?

i was interested in this catback mostly for the b pipe.
yes it does, if you include the second 2.25" part. I'm confident that it will but have not tried it out. However, you can get a b pipe for cheaper than 240 from Budget or even warpspeed....which is full 2.5" and guaranteed to fit stock muffler.

oh yea, i figured why shifting was funny. support rod broke . And the exhaust had nothing to do with it unless I just got more jerk from the few ponies. If anyone can assist me with getting a new one, it would be great....i hope someone on here has one....
Old 06-29-2007, 09:15 PM

I to have a Tusdo cat back. nice deep low tone. my Y-Pipe made it alittle louder. i had 1 issue with fitment on my max. the tip has burnt my bumper so keep an eye out for that otherwise Tusdo
Old 06-30-2007, 09:24 PM

hm...nice...
Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 AM

I wanted to try it but i didnt want that round muffler i like the stock looking muffler and fitment wasnt an issue at all? ill look into it
Old 07-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Can you post a sound clip
Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by meccanoble
ALSO!!!!! Contrary to belief, my car does NOT have an 02 sensor in the catback section. I was following the megan catback thread and seen some issues where an extra hole had to be drilled to add an 02 sensor? I'm in NJ and I believe my car is Fed Spec. I have an 01 and I do NOT have an 02 sensor in the catback. This saved me a huge headache and a few dollars
Contrary to what belief? ALL 2001s are CALI spec. Only 2000s come in Fed and Cali spec. It also does not matter where you are, but on the year of the car. You could have verified that by checking how many O2 sensors you have (Cali spec has 4, Fed has 3), also this information has been in the Stickies since 2001 :

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...5&postcount=25

Anyway, glad to hear that more people are finding success with cheaper aftermarket alternatives. To find exactly where the rattle is, grab the rear section (when it is cold of course) and shake it around to see if you can isolate the source of the rattle.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:27 AM

do u get drone at like 80mph?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:57 AM
The original VQ...

Congrats, im running the same catback.

But i welded on a magnaflow resonator and got rid of the round muffler for a dual 2.5 tip one.( I have headers btw)

For about 350$ I have a nice looking exhaust and it sounds perfect.

When i first installed the catback it was hitting the crossmember, but when the guy put in my resonator he fixed that problem.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
Congrats, im running the same catback.

But i welded on a magnaflow resonator and got rid of the round muffler for a dual 2.5 tip one.( I have headers btw)

For about 350$ I have a nice looking exhaust and it sounds perfect.

When i first installed the catback it was hitting the crossmember, but when the guy put in my resonator he fixed that problem.
max, @ what rpm does your car drone at and how much louder is the drone at that speed as compared to other speeds.

i ask because you have headers and you're a vq3.5 6 speed which is similar to my setup.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Sports Button FTW

just an update now that I see this thread, my bumper has a slight burn at bottom since the tip touches it but not a big deal.

Muffler still working and sounding great but one of the hangers or bolts for hanger seems to rub on exhaust sometimes. I can hear them hitting each other from inside the car but barely outside. I know how to fix issue, just havent had time to. Seems like the screw has to be bent forward a little.

I'm not sure when it drones but when you doing over 100 and flooring, car is a little loud but I also have a y-pipe so thats increasing sound. I will try to get sound clips soon.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:40 AM

sound clip please!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 AM
the org...not what it was

Originally Posted by stronium_95se
sound clip please!
Calm down, he said he's getting them soon.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:31 AM

Looks like a nice exhaust system...Is there any that are out and up? Also does the tsudo have a silencer?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 PM

no silencer, meccanoble i just folded a peace of cloth up and put it in between the muffler and the bumper. quick fix no prob since
Old 11-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Sports Button FTW

NICE! Friday I dont have work so I should be able to get some sound clips. Its been a while, this will be interesting
Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sound clip would be awesome.I am looking into buying this catback too.I want to hear how it sounds on a 3.0.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by meccanoble
NICE! Friday I dont have work so I should be able to get some sound clips. Its been a while, this will be interesting
did you use the gaskets that came with the exhaust? or used different ones?