5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Calling Y2KevSE

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 11:26 AM

Hey I noticed you are running the 3.25" smaller pulley. I'm curious if you had to change out the fuel diaphram in the Auxillary Vortech fuel pump? What's the diameter of the stock supercharger pulley that comes with the Stillen kit because it didn't state the size of the pulley on the parts list? Thanks in advance. How's your car running & any good road kills lately? Does your car spool up more quickly with the smaller pulley or does the boost still kick in around 3500-4000 rpm.

Diederik
Old 07-20-2001, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by DMan_2KMax
Hey I noticed you are running the 3.25" smaller pulley. I'm curious if you had to change out the fuel diaphram in the Auxillary Vortech fuel pump? What's the diameter of the stock supercharger pulley that comes with the Stillen kit because it didn't state the size of the pulley on the parts list? Thanks in advance. How's your car running & any good road kills lately? Does your car spool up more quickly with the smaller pulley or does the boost still kick in around 3500-4000 rpm.

Diederik
it kicks in sooner around 2800??
Old 07-20-2001, 01:15 PM

Diederik
Well I am not Kev once again but...
the stock pulley is 3.60, if you look along the pulley you should be able to verify this along side you may have to start the car again and turn it off so that it stops at a place where you can see it.
Good question diedrek I would like to know what FMU disc he is also using, b/c I was running lean on the stock disc so I had to change it out to a higher one, and I will not know how I am doing untill I dyno again. Kev can you answer this one for us?
Old 07-23-2001, 09:41 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Diederik
Nope, I didn't change the FMU. The stock FMU is either 6:1 or 8:1... more likely 6:1.

Adam is correct on the stock pulley size... 3.60. I begin boosting at about 2500-2800. Fun fun fun!!!

No roadkills except for a truck that tried to play with me. Let's just say it wasn't pretty for him.

The car's doing fine except for the check engine light, but it's no biggie. I have a question for you. What's the highest you've ever boosted? Adam (My 4DSC) tacked out at 7-7.5 psi, Adam (The New CLIMAX) tacks out at 2 psi (hehehehe), and I hit 7 psi. We want to make sure we're not going nuts with the low boost. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2001, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Nope, I didn't change the FMU. The stock FMU is either 6:1 or 8:1... more likely 6:1.

Adam is correct on the stock pulley size... 3.60. I begin boosting at about 2500-2800. Fun fun fun!!!

No roadkills except for a truck that tried to play with me. Let's just say it wasn't pretty for him.

The car's doing fine except for the check engine light, but it's no biggie. I have a question for you. What's the highest you've ever boosted? Adam (My 4DSC) tacked out at 7-7.5 psi, Adam (The New CLIMAX) tacks out at 2 psi (hehehehe), and I hit 7 psi. We want to make sure we're not going nuts with the low boost. Thanks in advance.
I think our FMU is an 8:1 ratio. I'm running about 6-7.5 lbs of boost, it seems to boost a little higher in the colder weather (You know those couple of weeks in December here in Texas j/k). With the triple digit heat I'm running 0.5 on the metric scale.
Old 07-25-2001, 11:17 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Wow, I wonder why Adam and I are having the low boost problem. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-25-2001, 11:35 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Wow, I wonder why Adam and I are having the low boost problem. Thanks for the reply.
Just wondering how hot the 2-tubes that run across the engine bay get. Why two? Stillen had a picture of a filter hooked to the SC on the passenger side and ONE tube running to the throttle-body.

A friend used some special ceramic coating on his turbos that took them from glowing red to almost able to touch. Not sure how much it would help, but cooler air is better.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:11 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Just wondering how hot the 2-tubes that run across the engine bay get. Why two? Stillen had a picture of a filter hooked to the SC on the passenger side and ONE tube running to the throttle-body.

A friend used some special ceramic coating on his turbos that took them from glowing red to almost able to touch. Not sure how much it would help, but cooler air is better.
The piping gets so hot it actually burns if you leave your hand on there after normal driving. Why two? One is the intake piping and the other is the pressure piping (compressed air). The picture you're describing is the 4th gen setup.

I'm going with some sort of cooling when I get a chance because it's WAY too hot under there.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How much did the installation of the supercharger run you on the 5th gen max. I'm seriously considering purchasing one soon.

Is it possible to do the installation yourself?
Old 07-25-2001, 12:36 PM

CFM

I'd thought about trying to make my own "pseudo" supercharger.. one powered by a high rpm rc car engine (12v) and some kind of fan.. probably a RC propeller or several in series.. but anyway..

I'd heard a rumor that an engine generally breathes in 1.5 cfm for every horsepower.. so to make things easy we'll asume 200 hp.. that's 300 cfm... that's a whole pile of air... Is that right? or is it much higher than that?.....
Old 07-25-2001, 12:54 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: CFM

Originally posted by gramenis
How much did the installation of the supercharger run you on the 5th gen max. I'm seriously considering purchasing one soon.

Is it possible to do the installation yourself?
Installation was free (minus Turbo95Max's compensation). We installed the SC over a few days. I wouldn't suggest trying to install this if you're not mechanically inclined and if you don't have a good set of tools.

Originally posted by unferth33
I'd thought about trying to make my own "pseudo" supercharger.. one powered by a high rpm rc car engine (12v) and some kind of fan.. probably a RC propeller or several in series.. but anyway..

I'd heard a rumor that an engine generally breathes in 1.5 cfm for every horsepower.. so to make things easy we'll asume 200 hp.. that's 300 cfm... that's a whole pile of air... Is that right? or is it much higher than that?.....
I'm not sure how many cfm/hp the engine breathes. Remember, you'll have to add more fuel pushing in more air.
Old 07-25-2001, 03:30 PM

ERL Aquamist System Coming Soon . . .

The piping gets so hot it actually burns if you leave your hand on there after normal driving. I'm going with some sort of cooling when I get a chance because it's WAY too hot under there.
Hey Kevin my shop manager is ordering some of the ERL Aquamist systems (He thinks the cost will be under $500) to keep in stock. From what I've read and what he tells me this system is ideally suited for our setup and should cool the intake charge by at least 70 degrees which should translate to 15-20% increase in FWHP. The system uses 3 injectors and a high pressure pump. What is really cool about the system is that it cools the air in the intake tube and therefore you don't have to worry about the air reheating as is the case with a conventional air/air or air/water front mounted intercooler. YEAH BABY!!! The distributor in Houston, TX said that the ideal solution was a 30% methanol to 70% H2O ratio but isopropyl alcohol (readily available) should also work just fine. Why are you running such low boost with the 3.25 pulley?? You should be up around 10 psi. I'm going to be getting this system in the next several weeks and I'll let you know how it works.
Old 07-25-2001, 10:03 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: ERL Aquamist System Coming Soon . . .

Hey Kevin my shop manager is ordering some of the ERL Aquamist systems (He thinks the cost will be under $500) to keep in stock. From what I've read and what he tells me this system is ideally suited for our setup and should cool the intake charge by at least 70 degrees which should translate to 15-20% increase in FWHP. The system uses 3 injectors and a high pressure pump. What is really cool about the system is that it cools the air in the intake tube and therefore you don't have to worry about the air reheating as is the case with a conventional air/air or air/water front mounted intercooler. YEAH BABY!!! The distributor in Houston, TX said that the ideal solution was a 30% methanol to 70% H2O ratio but isopropyl alcohol (readily available) should also work just fine. Why are you running such low boost with the 3.25 pulley?? You should be up around 10 psi. I'm going to be getting this system in the next several weeks and I'll let you know how it works.
Thanks for the info Diederik. I remember you talking about the Aquamist system from another post. Let us know how it goes because that might be another option for me (besides intercooler and aftercooler).

I'm not sure why Adam and I are boosting so low. My boost hits at around 2500-2800, which is way before what the 3.60 gives.