5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What mods are out for low end power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 09:31 PM
RBa

I've noticed that everytime I modded something, I gain on the high end and sometimes lose some on the low end...
What can I get to increase low end power?
Old 08-10-2001, 09:46 PM

whoa, i was about to post up something about how much i hated my low end power, but thought about all the people not caring

i was driving around in my moms C320 today and i was surprised how much faster it accelerates than the maxima =\

i was chirping the tires, etc... it was fun, good times, good times.. (i love lease cars)

my cone filter looks and sounds good, but performance sucks for me b/c i rarely drive fast enough to feel the gain. might have to try the OSCAI.

and doesnt a pully upgrade help out the low end?
Old 08-11-2001, 01:40 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by RBa
I've noticed that everytime I modded something, I gain on the high end and sometimes lose some on the low end...
SC
Old 08-11-2001, 06:40 AM
Got Bent?

UDP is supposed to help in low end and midrange..... when I install mine next week, I will let you know if it makes a difference or not...
Old 08-11-2001, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

whats a UDP?
Old 08-11-2001, 08:18 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by MaDxKiLLa
whats a UDP?
UDP = Underdrive pulley... It is a replacement for the stock crankshaft pulley. It is lighter and slightly smaller than the stock pulley.
Old 08-11-2001, 08:37 AM

what is the price range on the Underdive pulley? where can the be purchased?
Old 08-11-2001, 09:14 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by 00Semaxi
what is the price range on the Underdive pulley? where can the be purchased?
i got mine including belts and shipping for $200 from

http://www.ultimatez.com/

scroll all the way to the bottom for the e-mail link for the maxima
Old 08-11-2001, 09:38 AM

Don's VB is also good for some low-end power.

But you guys being 5th gens means the car being out of commission for a weekend.
Old 08-11-2001, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

UDP = Underdrive pulley... It is a replacement for the stock crankshaft pulley. It is lighter and slightly smaller than the stock pulley.
Keep me posted. It is on the Wishlist you know.
Old 08-11-2001, 10:15 AM

yeah same here keep my posted. low end power on my car really sucks
Old 08-11-2001, 10:48 AM
RBa

If you notice.. Most of the times you race, you're about dead even with the other (supposedly slower) cars until 2nd gear/ Sometimes til 3rd... I have tested this theory with a 98 Jetta XLS, 00 Corolla, 93 Integra GS, 00 Camry, 00 Accord DX and a 98 Maxima... Most of times I race, it's on local roads where traffic is heavy and I don't exceed 50mph.. Now, I wanna mod my car so I'll feel a tramatic difference within this speed limit... And it seems that whenever I get a mod (IE Exhaust, Intake), I'm losing alot of power on the low end....
Ppl make it seem like your Max is da $hit after getting a Y-pipe, exhaust ETC... It really isn't... And with my little knowledge with cars, I believed most of them but everytime I modded something, I was never fully satisfied...
It kinda seems like the companies rigged everything on purpose to make more money........
I think it's a conspiracy to rob poor, gullible ppl like me that spend most of their budget on his car..

Maybe I'll get a UDP next so I can support the higher intelects behind this big conspiracy...
Old 08-11-2001, 10:54 AM

you want low end?

you know the left tail pipe on your muffler? Use some wet paper towel and stuff it up, then tape it with strong duct tape. This way, you will have more back pressure, and more torque at low end.
Old 08-11-2001, 10:55 AM
Got Bent?

you guys should wait on the UDP also.... a few guys have said it does nothing for the maxima..... but once mine is on, I will let you guys know. I might even throw it on a dyno later on.....
Old 08-11-2001, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by LoveSick
you want low end?

you know the left tail pipe on your muffler? Use some wet paper towel and stuff it up, then tape it with strong duct tape. This way, you will have more back pressure, and more torque at low end.
Nah, the muffler wouldn't make much of a difference. So much of the flow is already restricted going to the back that gains/losses are negligible.

I think we might have to rely on the UDP to save the low-end...short of the SC that is.
Old 08-11-2001, 11:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree with this, the more flow going out that back the more back pressure you lose. Back pressure helps low end tremendously. That's why the 5th gens have that variable muffler.

Originally posted by LoveSick
you want low end?

Old 08-11-2001, 12:10 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by Ants97SE
I agree with this, the more flow going out that back the more back pressure you lose. Back pressure helps low end tremendously. That's why the 5th gens have that variable muffler.

so your saying the stock muffler is better than an aftermarket one?
Old 08-11-2001, 04:39 PM

Hey Rba..

Originally posted by RBa
WEll i finally got a tracking number for my UDP...let CLEE know if we can install UDP over his house next thursday. Hogan is gonna do the job and he is down for next thursday... then you can take my car out for a drive see if you think it does something, since i am terrible in noticing power diff.
Roger
Old 08-11-2001, 05:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well for those of you who are 5sp, I would say that a high performance clutch and a lightened flywheel will help out on the low end.
Old 08-11-2001, 05:41 PM

It seems that just about any modification we can make to our Maximas short of forced induction sacrifices low-end power for the sake of high-end power. I too will be interested in finding out if the UDP actually makes a difference in providing improved low-end torque. I hope someone will take the time to dyno their cars before and after they install their UDP. That's the only way we'll know for sure.

I've played around with my Maxima quite a bit, principally in the areas of intake and exhaust, and I also took a low-end performance hit when I installed a Stillen Intake and a modified, straight-through exhaust system. When I removed my Stillen Intake and installed the OSCAI, my low-end performance seemed to improve. It improved further when I re-installed a stock rear section on my exhaust system. It seems as if my engine simply performs better at low rpms with a relatively stock intake and the presence of some backpressure.

I'm pretty satisfied with my current intake/exhaust setup. I may not be squeezing the last drop of horsepower out of my NA engine at high rpms, but I can certainly feel the difference with the OSCAI, Y-pipe, RT Cat and custom b-pipe throughout the torque curve. I realize I'm sacrificing some high-end performance for improved low-end performance. But the tradeoff is worth it . . . at least for me.
Old 08-11-2001, 06:50 PM

NOS

turbo or SC too expensive for the everyday driver, welcome to the world of nitrous, hehe, its hella cheaper than SC or turbo setup, only problem is limited amount and that its not always on.
Old 08-11-2001, 08:28 PM
JET Speed Lab

he meant for normal driving i dont think he meant racing purpose's
Old 08-11-2001, 08:34 PM

if the stillen loses low end due to the wide cone intake, wouldnt a OSCAI have the same problem?

it would be letting in more air, while a stock intake would restricts it.

im gonna try some stuff tomorrow, duct tape my stillen intake maybe i can restrict some air flow with sacrificing the cool cone. muahaha
Old 08-11-2001, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by DooBall
if the stillen loses low end due to the wide cone intake, wouldnt a OSCAI have the same problem?

it would be letting in more air, while a stock intake would restricts it.

im gonna try some stuff tomorrow, duct tape my stillen intake maybe i can restrict some air flow with sacrificing the cool cone. muahaha
It's the length of the intake that gives it the low end power. That's why bmw's have a variable length intake, long for low rpms and short for high.

So if we used the tubing for the supercharger and just put a cone filter on the end of it, then we may be able to get back that low end power.
Old 08-11-2001, 09:22 PM

low end power

The stillen s/c will not add an incredible amount of low end power. Boost is dependent on rpm. We need to have Jackson Racing make a kit for our cars (Eaton Supercharger). It will make our maximas feel like a v8. They develope max boost right off idle to redline. They have them for the Civic and some other cars. I know there is one for the Camry as well. IT is the same type of sc that is on the Pontiac GTP and some of the buicks (and the mercedes sc'd cars) I have a positive displacement sc on my mustang, and it has over 400 ft/lbs of torque by 2200 rpms.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:21 AM
RBa

Re: low end power

Originally posted by raynist
The stillen s/c will not add an incredible amount of low end power. Boost is dependent on rpm. We need to have Jackson Racing make a kit for our cars (Eaton Supercharger). It will make our maximas feel like a v8. They develope max boost right off idle to redline. They have them for the Civic and some other cars. I know there is one for the Camry as well. IT is the same type of sc that is on the Pontiac GTP and some of the buicks (and the mercedes sc'd cars) I have a positive displacement sc on my mustang, and it has over 400 ft/lbs of torque by 2200 rpms.
Wow!!! I need something like that now..
Old 08-12-2001, 10:31 AM

Re: Re: low end power

Originally posted by RBa

Wow!!! I need something like that now..
Here is the link to Jackson Racing, we NEED this company to make a sc for our maxima's.

http://www.jacksonracing.com/pages/supercharger.html

It is the same sc that come on the sc'd Nissan pickup, Ford Lightning and Mercedes vehicles.

I emailed them to see if there is a chance of development, though I doubt it.

--Ray
Old 08-12-2001, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by DooBall
No. Based on posts I've read in the past, the issue at low rpms has more to do with intake geometry than to flow. I'd suggest you do a search under "intake geometry" in the 5th Gen Forum and see what you come up with.