5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TL-S vs 2k2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Maximers,

I am looking for a new car (auto tranny) and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two fine automobiles. RWD is out of the question as it pretty much sucks in Canada and while I love my A4, I need a larger car next and the A6 ceases to be good value in my mind.

Here in Canada the TL-S is about $5000 more than the 2k2 SE and the navi is not available on either one (grrrrr).

When I test drove the 00 TL vs 00 maxima my observations were:

TL adv:
5 spd tiptronic vs 4spd
slightly better styling (personal taste)
more luxury feel inside, luxury nameplate (not a big issue for me)

Maxima SE adv:
smoother shifting engine
better suspension w less body roll
bigger wheels
more sporty feel
larger rear seats with folding capability (although the entry is quite small)

Well, things have changed a bit. To me, while the TL-S looks very appealing, the older TL's are starting to look a bit bland (maybe they always were hehe) whereas the Maxima's actually look better in my mind. Between the TL-S and the Maxima SE, I'd still give the TL-S a slight edge in looks but that is just preference.

Without getting in to a ****ing match and knowing full well that I am on maxima.org, I was wondering if you guys could list your reasons for picking the Maxima (aside from the obvious that it comes in a stick)
Old 08-24-2001, 10:13 AM
jjs

As a 5-speed person, I would say not much more was needed to make my decision other than the fact that the Max had the stick.

Other than that, I liked more of a style to it than something (TL-S) made out of what looks like a couple of small boxes with some paydough (I know about the spelling, don't want to get the trademark people all over this)slapped on to contour some edges, and yes, let's face it, $$$$$$$$$$ difference!!!

Originally posted by Hemants
Hey Maximers,

I am looking for a new car (auto tranny) and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two fine automobiles. RWD is out of the question as it pretty much sucks in Canada and while I love my A4, I need a larger car next and the A6 ceases to be good value in my mind.

Here in Canada the TL-S is about $5000 more than the 2k2 SE and the navi is not available on either one (grrrrr).

When I test drove the 00 TL vs 00 maxima my observations were:

TL adv:
5 spd tiptronic vs 4spd
slightly better styling (personal taste)
more luxury feel inside, luxury nameplate (not a big issue for me)

Maxima SE adv:
smoother shifting engine
better suspension w less body roll
bigger wheels
more sporty feel

Well, things have changed a bit. To me, while the TL-S looks very appealing, the older TL's are starting to look a bit bland (maybe they always were hehe) whereas the Maxima's actually look better in my mind. Between the TL-S and the Maxima SE, I'd still give the TL-S a slight edge in looks but that is just preference.

Without getting in to a ****ing match and knowing full well that I am on maxima.org, I was wondering if you guys could list your reasons for picking the Maxima (aside from the obvious that it comes in a stick)
Old 08-24-2001, 10:13 AM

Reliability record:
Honda's automatic trannies don't have a very good track record. They shift harder than most and tend to have problems frequently. ESPECIALLY the CL-S and TL-S trannies.
I used to own a legend, and the auto tranny had to be rebuilt at 70K miles.

Torque:
Honda engines just don't have it. I'm addicted to it. Therfore I got a Maxima.

For Value, I'd get a 2K2 Max before a TL-S. 5K is ALOT of money. for 1 extra gear and 5hp.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:40 AM

Well I had that choice my self when i was getting a car either the TL or the Maxima. The Tl has the sporty look, but the maxima is different. It stands out. The price difference was the same, 5Gs. I personally like the handling in the Maxima, since my dad got a TL. I don't like the auto/tri-tonic shift in the TL. Also the seats for the TL are leather and I'm not a leather kind of guy, it's not as porous as cloth. One key thing to look at is the cost of maintenance for services or doing it urself. The maxima cost less to maintain than TL. Reason:

1-the maxima are timining chains
2-the tranny filter is just a mesh
3-there is no need to change the fuel filter since it's in the fuel tank.

where as the TL are using timing belts that needs replacements during the 60,000 services. Not sure about the tranny filter.

Overall I still like the Maxima. that's my 2 cents.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:42 AM
PhatGuy

The Max being $5000 less is all I need to know. Haven't heard too many good things about the Acura auto trannies either.

Old 08-24-2001, 11:47 AM
Administrator

I was going to say TL-S due to the 5spd AUTO..

but nizmomx has very good points that makes me say maxima
Old 08-24-2001, 11:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hmmmm.

Actually, I've been lurking the TL-S forums and no one has complained about the transmission. In any case, extended warranties are pretty cheap for either car up to 7yr 160,000km (unlike my A4 where they are )(*%(& expensive) so that would be a non-issue for me.

Thanks for the replies....still undecided
Old 08-24-2001, 12:42 PM
jjs

Call around to car rental places. Depending on where you live, you might be able to rent a Max (maybe even an Acura) and play with both for a couple of days. That should give you and idea of what real world life is like with both.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:09 PM

Aside from the obvious . . .

wherein the number of under $30k cars with the combination of 4 doors, a 6 or more cylinder engine, and a manual transmission is rather limited . . .

very smooth engine
impressive performance for normally aspirated 3.0 liters
decent cornering grip

and 170,000 miles of experience with a 1987 Maxima SE

Norm
Old 08-24-2001, 02:49 PM

Choices

I am also looking at a 2002 SE, and a TL-S. Have ruled out cars like A4, IS300, etc.

My 99 SE is on lease which will be due next June. It has not given me any problem, except for reprogramming of the key. The looks of the newer Max is controversial, but with the right color and spoiler they look great.

On the TL board there have been numerous posts regarding rattling seat belt, squeaking roof, misaligned bumper and trunk, warped rotors, actuator, CD eating disc, etc. Also, check Wards regarding their testing of engines. The VQ has been on there for a long time. This year it's up along with the BMW's 6, Audi's 1.8T, and the S2000's 4 cyc.
Old 08-24-2001, 04:08 PM
RussMaxManiac

WWW.ACURA-CL.COM Read the forums. I see about 5 posts complaining about Tranny's right now dieing. The cl-s has the same drivetrain.

Originally posted by Hemants
Hmmmm.

Actually, I've been lurking the TL-S forums and no one has complained about the transmission. In any case, extended warranties are pretty cheap for either car up to 7yr 160,000km (unlike my A4 where they are )(*%(& expensive) so that would be a non-issue for me.

Thanks for the replies....still undecided

Old 08-24-2001, 05:40 PM

its you want more power

you want that extra 5 hp, go get a stillen intake, that will give you six more, save $5,000 and spend $150 and get that hp back. or you can get the stillen supercharger and still get some of your $5000 back. its not like the acura name resembles a sign of luxury to me. if you want real luxury go with the big 3. lexus, bmw, or mercedes-benz. trust me, friend has a fully loaded tl-s and nobody says its a luxury car, they just say it looks nice, but my friends c280 gets alotta compliments even though its an entry level luxury car. so i say go with the maxima, its not less luxurious than the acura, and well worth the money.