5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Headlights need a clip.... (split from locked thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 04:20 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Actually I just heard from Dave that....

The top center clip next to the grill on the 2K2 is a different part number, so the headlamp MIGHT not lock into the clip. He also found that the 2K2 clip is on BACKORDER, f course. I'm still not convinced it's for real.

He will know more on the clip status in a few days.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:34 PM

The unique to '02 clips are on back-order. I'm hoping there will not be a long wait! If I get any feedback from Nissan on when to expect them, I'll let everyone know.
Regards, David Burnette
Old 08-28-2001, 08:11 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

This thread was split from another thread...
Old 08-28-2001, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DAVEB
The unique to '02 clips are on back-order. I'm hoping there will not be a long wait! If I get any feedback from Nissan on when to expect them, I'll let everyone know.
Regards, David Burnette
I do believe that the clip will not help. Because I noticed that the frame below the headlight assembly was being scratched when I dry fitted it. So I had to bang the frame down a bit to make it fit,

Take a look at the pic called lightmmodification.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/dsuthar/2k2lights/
Old 08-29-2001, 12:12 AM

Now that you've got the lights in, I'm curious about their alignment and how much adjustment they needed.

It's difficult to see from your pictures how you would be able to adjust the angle of the beams - are there separate adjustment screws for each light?

Thanks - and it looks nice!
Old 08-29-2001, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Rookwood
Now that you've got the lights in, I'm curious about their alignment and how much adjustment they needed.

It's difficult to see from your pictures how you would be able to adjust the angle of the beams - are there separate adjustment screws for each light?

Thanks - and it looks nice!
No there is only one screw that adjusts both. I put a piece of tape on the wall where the original beams was, and then when I installed the new 2k2lights, just used that screw to line them up.

They were pretty much lined up except that one needed to be aligned about 1" cause it was off on the wall.

Dixit
Old 08-30-2001, 04:17 AM

Re: Actually I just heard from Dave that....

Originally posted by IceY2K1
The top center clip next to the grill on the 2K2 is a different part number, so the headlamp MIGHT not lock into the clip. He also found that the 2K2 clip is on BACKORDER, f course. I'm still not convinced it's for real.

He will know more on the clip status in a few days.
IceY2K1: You ordered the 2K2 headlamp right? If so have you tried to put them in yet and also BigDogJonx stated that he hasn't gotten the HID to stay on when he uses the high beams. you seem to have researched this pretty well do you think you might know how to fix this?

BigDogJonx: Now that you have the lights in, with the slight (hammer) mod you had to make to fit them in are the secure without the clip?

Kudos to both of you and all who worked on this mod
Old 08-30-2001, 08:13 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Actually I just heard from Dave that....

Originally posted by 2000SEMAX

IceY2K1: You ordered the 2K2 headlamp right? If so have you tried to put them in yet and also BigDogJonx stated that he hasn't gotten the HID to stay on when he uses the high beams. you seem to have researched this pretty well do you think you might know how to fix this?
I am not Ice, but have pestered him enough to know that this is the weekend he is going to try his install. He was setting up a relay/wire/fuse system and what not to eliminate that problem.

He is not interested in "adjusting" his car frame piece. He was looking at modifying the bucket instead. But he has not attempted it yet, but will be looking at it in depth this weekend.

So like me, I believe the rest of us will be looking forward to his results to add to the information that BigDogJonx has provided.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:08 AM

Re: Actually I just heard from Dave that....

Originally posted by Colonel

I am not Ice, but have pestered him enough to know that this is the weekend he is going to try his install. He was setting up a relay/wire/fuse system and what not to eliminate that problem.

He is not interested in "adjusting" his car frame piece. He was looking at modifying the bucket instead. But he has not attempted it yet, but will be looking at it in depth this weekend.

So like me, I believe the rest of us will be looking forward to his results to add to the information that BigDogJonx has provided.
Thanks for the update.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:41 AM

I have TWO ways of wiring the headlamps..

One withOUT relays and one with relays.

WithOUT relays:
-------------
You don't have the HID "flicker".

With 2-RELAYs:
---------------
I haven't tested it yet, so I'm not sure if there will be a "flicker" when you switch from LOW/HI or worse HI/LOW. However, you will be able to run more power to your 9005 bulbs for a brighter output than withOUT relays. The wiring will support HIGH wattage bulbs, but I'm not sure if the housing can handle it.
Old 08-30-2001, 02:43 PM

Re: Re: Actually I just heard from Dave that....

Originally posted by 2000SEMAX

BigDogJonx: Now that you have the lights in, with the slight (hammer) mod you had to make to fit them in are the secure without the clip?

Kudos to both of you and all who worked on this mod
Good to know people appreciate this now, unlike before when the post got messed up people were all in my face and thinking I was BSing

Without the clip the headlights seem fine cause they are still held by the two screws at the top and the side peg that goes into the frame. But Still if you push hard enough at the bottom of the headlamp, it will go in a bit. I believe this is what the clip is for and to make it so there is NO movement at all.

Cant wait to get the clip.

ICY, I want to say that I dont think you want to make mods to the headlamp to make it fit, I thought about that but it seems that the "BUMP" in the headlamp that causes it not to fit, if it were cut or shaved, you have go into the headlamp since it seems it is only 1/8" thick there. So I opted to instead pull out the hammer and "BANG" my way into getting the bastard to fit, I was not going to give up until the bastard fit.

Dixit
Old 08-30-2001, 05:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Actually I just heard from Dave that....

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Good to know people appreciate this now, unlike before when the post got messed up people were all in my face and thinking I was BSing
I think you took a lot of us wrong. We were not in your face, but thinking it was a PRANK by a certain moderator who has done that to us before. However, you're so HOSTILE it kinda instigated some pun making on my part. Sorry, but chill and things will be a lot easier.

Without the clip the headlights seem fine cause they are still held by the two screws at the top and the side peg that goes into the frame.
That's what I was WANTED to hear!

IceY2K1, I want to say that I dont think you want to make mods to the headlamp to make it fit, I thought about that but it seems that the "BUMP" in the headlamp that causes it not to fit, if it were cut or shaved, you have go into the headlamp since it seems it is only 1/8" thick there. So I opted to instead pull out the hammer and "BANG" my way into getting the bastard to fit, I was not going to give up until the bastard fit.
That's NOT what I was hoping you'd say. Oh well, I guess I find out on Saturday, whether I'm up for hammering on her. Otherwise, I might be selling a COMPLETE housing w/harness on EBAY.

If you need any help on wiring, I can tell you what I'm about to do, but I really would rather wait till I know for sure if it works or not. I don't want ANYONE to blame me for it not working as expected.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:47 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Actually I just heard from Dave that....

We were not in your face, but thinking it was a PRANK by a certain moderator who has done that to us before.
Old 08-31-2001, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Actually I just heard from Dave that....

If you need any help on wiring, I can tell you what I'm about to do, but I really would rather wait till I know for sure if it works or not. I don't want ANYONE to blame me for it not working as expected.
If you need help as far as figuring out what wire is what on the turnsignals and the headlights, email me at dsuthar@sprintpcs.com

And I will email you the breakdown of what wire needs to be connected where.

Dixit
Old 09-03-2001, 11:04 PM

Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

No MAJOR problems and it worked the FIRST time.

No HAMMERING required.

You still need a 2K2 clip, but that's it.

More details ASAP.

Check my website for a few pics.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:17 PM

We need step by step instructions .. there are a lot of wiring dummies out there ... I declare myself the Emperor!

Also a list of relays etc that Dave B doesn't provide will also assist ... maybe u can pick up a bunch & sell them @ a bit of a premium 2 cover your efforts?

Not much though
Old 09-04-2001, 06:02 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

No HAMMERING required.

More details ASAP.

Looks Awesome Alex....
Old 09-04-2001, 09:27 AM

Re: Re: Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Originally posted by Colonel

Looks Awesome Alex....
Thanks!

You have to see them in person though. They really make it a pleasure to drive at night, especially if your blind like me. During the day they just make the car look MEAN. Too bad I can't add the Street Scene grill(without CUTTING) or else this thing would be bad A$$. I can't wait to get some Xtreme white or Super White 9005s for the HI beams and Super Plasma wedge bulbs for the running lamps.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:40 AM

Re: Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

No HAMMERING required.

More details ASAP.

DAMN! You telling me I hammered it for no reason??? SOn of a......

Well I tried to put on assembly in without hammering and I swear the damn thing would just not fit. Well if it is just the clip now, then I will wait for that.

Nice pics, hehehhe...... Like I dont know how they look

Did you do a relay wiring so that the high beams dont cut off the xenons?

Dixit
Old 09-04-2001, 10:03 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

...They really make it a pleasure to drive at night, especially if your blind like me...
Thats the main reason I am getting them. I am night blind so I am hoping that this helps a bunch.

I will wait with anticipation for the write up....No hurry or pressure though!
Old 09-04-2001, 11:36 AM

Re: Re: Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

DAMN! You telling me I hammered it for no reason??? SOn of a......

Well I tried to put on assembly in without hammering and I swear the damn thing would just not fit. Well if it is just the clip now, then I will wait for that.

Nice pics, hehehhe...... Like I dont know how they look

Did you do a relay wiring so that the high beams dont cut off the xenons?

Dixit
Sorry, but YES! You HAMMERED and I didn't find a reason too. I WANTED too a few times though. The clip was the only problem I had, so I tried to modify it a few times with no luck. There just isn't enough set-back room for the headlamp. I'm betting the 2K2 clip will be identical, but have a 1" or so longer base to allow the headlamps' grill-side to have clearance. See the other post concerning the LO/HI and HI/LO question.