5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 HID wiring sanity check

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 05:54 AM
sixman

Looked over the wiring for the 2k headlights (from Nissan ESM) and plan on wiring the 2k2 HIDs as follows. If anyone would like to look this over and tell me if is going the wrong direction, PLMK.

First, right side and left side will be done as two sides, so I will describe one only.

Will use two relays per side (four total). 20 Amp should be good, but I can get a good price for 30 Amp, so will use them.

Power from the the current headlights will go to the coil side (terminal 1) of the two relays. For the HID (lowbeam), terminal 2 will go to the current lowbeam ground (terminal 2 on headlamp connector). The second relay will have its terminal 2 connect to the highbeam ground (terminal 3 on headlamp connector). This will allow the light switch to activate one of the two new relays and still retain the battery saver function.

The coil side of the HID relay will have a feed from the battery, through a fuse (since HID is 35W, 10 Amp will be adequate, might opt for something smaller for better safety) to the power lead for the HID. Ground will go directly to body ground.

The coil side of the second (new High beam) relay will again feed from the battery, through a fuse (20Amp?) to the power sides of both the HID and highbeam bulb. This should prevent the HID from going out when highbeams are selected. Again, ground will be directly connected.

Will make all the taps form the current wiring with bullet connectors if I ever need to replace the HIDs with the original headlamps.

Again, please let me know if this sounds like a doable solution, or if I am missing something major.

Old 09-01-2001, 10:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by sixman
Looked over the wiring for the 2k headlights (from Nissan ESM) and plan on wiring the 2k2 HIDs as follows. If anyone would like to look this over and tell me if is going the wrong direction, PLMK.

First, right side and left side will be done as two sides, so I will describe one only.

Will use two relays per side (four total). 20 Amp should be good, but I can get a good price for 30 Amp, so will use them.

Power from the the current headlights will go to the coil side (terminal 1) of the two relays. For the HID (lowbeam), terminal 2 will go to the current lowbeam ground (terminal 2 on headlamp connector). The second relay will have its terminal 2 connect to the highbeam ground (terminal 3 on headlamp connector). This will allow the light switch to activate one of the two new relays and still retain the battery saver function.

The coil side of the HID relay will have a feed from the battery, through a fuse (since HID is 35W, 10 Amp will be adequate, might opt for something smaller for better safety) to the power lead for the HID. Ground will go directly to body ground.

The coil side of the second (new High beam) relay will again feed from the battery, through a fuse (20Amp?) to the power sides of both the HID and highbeam bulb. This should prevent the HID from going out when highbeams are selected. Again, ground will be directly connected.

Will make all the taps form the current wiring with bullet connectors if I ever need to replace the HIDs with the original headlamps.

Again, please let me know if this sounds like a doable solution, or if I am missing something major.
Just want to know if this wiring you are talking about here is for making it so both the HID and the HighBeams can stay on at the same time? correct?

If not, why the hell are you using relays? I did the whole thing without any relays, straight spliced everything, only problem now if that when I turn on the highbeams, the xenons cut off. So cant use the highbeams to flash anyone on the highway cause dont want to mess up the balast.

Dixit
Old 09-01-2001, 12:06 PM
sixman

Yes, I plan on using the relays to allow the HIDs and highbeams on together. This way the increased current from both will not need to go through the light switch.