5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Temp. Sensor in stock air scoop

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 03:02 PM

Has anyone removed the stock air scoop? I want to get rid of it cuz it looks weird, and I was wondering if I just take out the temp sensor and stick it somewhere near the battery, will I get any CE lights or anything? And for those of you who have removed it, where did you mount the Boost senor then? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2001, 05:12 PM
Got Bent?

Do you mean the one bolted on to the front? That is the MAP (boost) sensor I think.... The one further down sticking in to the tubing is the temp sensor. You can mount the MAP sensor anywhere near there, and it should be ok....
Old 09-07-2001, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Do you mean the one bolted on to the front? That is the MAP (boost) sensor I think.... The one further down sticking in to the tubing is the temp sensor. You can mount the MAP sensor anywhere near there, and it should be ok....
And removing the temp sensor and just letting it hang somewhere is alright?
Old 09-08-2001, 06:36 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

And removing the temp sensor and just letting it hang somewhere is alright?
the temp sensor should be mounted somewhere in the intake path.... I don't know what would happen if it wasn't though...
Old 09-08-2001, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

the temp sensor should be mounted somewhere in the intake path.... I don't know what would happen if it wasn't though...
Whre would the intake path be if the air scoop is removed?
Old 09-08-2001, 10:32 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

Whre would the intake path be if the air scoop is removed?
either the tubing that carries the air, or the cone I think. But, you could probably mount it near the path somewhere....
Old 09-08-2001, 01:20 PM

Woah Woah Woah........There is NO MAP sensor on a maxima. There is a MAF sensor which is totally different. The temp sensor is your AIT sensor (Air Intake Temp). If you mount that sensor somewhere where there is good airflow then you trick the computer into thinking that there is cooler air outside. I removed mine and mounted it on the cross-brace near the grill. The cooler the car thinks the air is the more fuel it sends.

I have tools...i can fix stuff.

cya
Ryan
Old 09-08-2001, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Foglght
Woah Woah Woah........There is NO MAP sensor on a maxima. There is a MAF sensor which is totally different. The temp sensor is your AIT sensor (Air Intake Temp). If you mount that sensor somewhere where there is good airflow then you trick the computer into thinking that there is cooler air outside. I removed mine and mounted it on the cross-brace near the grill. The cooler the car thinks the air is the more fuel it sends.

I have tools...i can fix stuff.

cya
Ryan
I think the MAP sensor is that Boost sensor which is the Mass Air Pressure. If I'm not mistaken.
Old 09-08-2001, 04:38 PM
Got Bent?

Woah Woah Woah........There is NO MAP sensor on a maxima.
really? I was pretty sure there was...
Old 09-09-2001, 08:25 AM

Aight school is in.

A Mass Air Flow sensor is an updated version from a MAP sensor. MAP sensors get their reading from Speed Density. The mass air flow meter (which is very sensitive) has 2 or more filiments inside the tube. These filaments are heated with about 2.0V on most cars(some are different). When you get more air it cools the filament telling the computer to add more fuel. That is why in turn you get a horsepower increase when you add an induction system on your car.

MAP Sensor = older car......not as accurate

MAF Sensor = Newer car........don't drop that sensor on the floor.

If you car is getting up there in miles and you have a MAF you can remove it and buy some carb and choke cleaner. Look into the MAF and hose down the filaments inside. After time those filaments get caked with junk and make your car idle rough and loose performance.

Helpful hints from the maintenance man,
cya
Ryan
Old 09-09-2001, 08:41 AM
Got Bent?

The MAF sensor sits in the intake tube just past the wire mesh grill before the TB. However, there is a 'BOOST' sensor that sits on the intake scoop. I think that is the MAP sensor. I will look into it, but I am pretty sure that it is a MAP sensor in addition to the MAF sensor.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:30 PM
Got Bent?

I looked up what that BOOST sensor is. It is an absolute pressure sensor that reads barometric pressure.
Old 09-09-2001, 05:27 PM

I've never heard anyone call that a "boost" sensor. Yes, that sensor does exist but not directly in the intake path. It runs off of a vaccuum line and the sensor i believe is attached to the intake box via two screws. The vaccuum line runs up to the ugly box that is just before the TB. The air intake temp sensor is probably the one you are talking about. It sits in the intake path and measures.......hold your breath, air temp!

I do this for a living.....i kinda know these things

I'm here to help, not to be a ****.

cya,
Ryan
Old 09-09-2001, 09:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Foglight

Why the hell did Nissan even put that stupid MAF sensor on the Max. Honda's run just fine without them. It ****es me off because Maxima's can have much cooler looking intake tubes if it wasn't for that darn sensor. Can you shed any light on this?
Old 09-09-2001, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by cobymoby
Foglight

Why the hell did Nissan even put that stupid MAF sensor on the Max. Honda's run just fine without them. It ****es me off because Maxima's can have much cooler looking intake tubes if it wasn't for that darn sensor. Can you shed any light on this?
we are not civics
hehe

I just zippy tied mine down to something
i forgot what
Old 09-10-2001, 02:13 PM

They put those sensors on because they are more accurate than the MAP sensors they replace. I haven't been under the hood of many hondas so i couldn't tell you wether they have a MAF or not. About 90% of newer cars have MAF sensors on them.

I sure don't want to be all show and no "go".
Old 09-10-2001, 04:24 PM
C2MAX

DO NOT - DO NOT PUT CARB CLEAN IN YOUR MAF SENSOR - SORRY BUT IF YOU DONT WANT A TRIP TO THE DEALER - FOR THEM TO TELL YOU THAT THEY WONT WARRANTY IT BECAUSE THE CARB CLEANER IS SO STRONG IT MELTS THE FILM ON THE FILAMENT. HOWEVER YOU CAN CLEAN METAL OR ALUMINUM MAF SENSORS. NO TAKE THIS FROM SOMEONE WHO OWNES A REPAIR SHOP AND EXPERIENCE TO BACK IT UP - DONT WANT TO BAD MOUTH ANYONE OR MAKE ANY ONE LOOK BAD - BUT BY DOING THIS I COULD SAVE YOU ALOT MORE TIME AND MONEY OH AND SORRY BOUT THE CAPS - RUDY

Old 09-10-2001, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by C2MAX
DO NOT - DO NOT PUT CARB CLEAN IN YOUR MAF SENSOR - SORRY BUT IF YOU DONT WANT A TRIP TO THE DEALER - FOR THEM TO TELL YOU THAT THEY WONT WARRANTY IT BECAUSE THE CARB CLEANER IS SO STRONG IT MELTS THE FILM ON THE FILAMENT. HOWEVER YOU CAN CLEAN METAL OR ALUMINUM MAF SENSORS. NO TAKE THIS FROM SOMEONE WHO OWNES A REPAIR SHOP AND EXPERIENCE TO BACK IT UP - DONT WANT TO BAD MOUTH ANYONE OR MAKE ANY ONE LOOK BAD - BUT BY DOING THIS I COULD SAVE YOU ALOT MORE TIME AND MONEY OH AND SORRY BOUT THE CAPS - RUDY
then why would ford motor company approve the cleaning of their MAF's with carb clean? And yes I am talking about the plastic ones used on many of their vehicles. I work at a dealership and thats what we use to clean them. and unless you get out the magnifying glass, how would anybody at a dealership be able to tell wether or not you melted off the supposed film on the filament. its hard enough to tell if they're dirty with the reg. eye.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:35 PM

Is there an ideal mounting location for optimum horsepower? My car feels much faster on cool mornings. I know if the engine runs rich all the time you are going to see a decrease in MPG, but i was wondering if it is possible to make it run rich.
Old 09-11-2001, 02:44 AM

then why would ford motor company approve the cleaning of their MAF's with carb clean? And yes I am talking about the plastic ones used on many of their vehicles. I work at a dealership and thats what we use to clean them. and unless you get out the magnifying glass, how would anybody at a dealership be able to tell wether or not you melted off the supposed film on the filament. its hard enough to tell if they're dirty with the reg. eye.
Modern cars require INDUCTION CLEANER to perform the cleaning function carb cleaner used to. It looks, is packaged (spray can), marketed, and even smells (at least to me) like carb cleaner, but this cleaner contains a solvent that is safe for the plastic & electronic components in the newer induction systems. Its on the shelf of your Dealer AND your local auto parts -- NEVER use carb cleaner in a 5th Gen Max!
Old 09-11-2001, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by almason

Modern cars require INDUCTION CLEANER to perform the cleaning function carb cleaner used to. It looks, is packaged (spray can), marketed, and even smells (at least to me) like carb cleaner, but this cleaner contains a solvent that is safe for the plastic & electronic components in the newer induction systems. Its on the shelf of your Dealer AND your local auto parts -- NEVER use carb cleaner in a 5th Gen Max!
well i went to work today and found nothing. Suprise! I could see if you soaked the maf in carb cleaner for days it might start to eat away at the plastic. So, anyway enough of this....im bored now.

No time for love doctor jones......the trade center blew up

My condolences to anybody on max.org that lost loved ones in this horrible day.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:42 AM

It's dependent on the specfic design. Ford designed (or bought) a some components containing plastics resistant to that carb cleaner solvent. In other applications carb solvent would disolve plastics. It pays to check the manuals for solvents to be used. Yes, the coatings in the intake plenum is thin and you might not notice if that material deteriorated, but the plastic components mounted within the intake system - such as the air bypass valve & MAF sensor - would be destroyed if too strong a solvent is used.