5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Went with Alex's HID write-up because I always like a challenge...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 07:44 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Installed the HIDs yesterday night and everything went smoothly. The first light took forever because I had to decipher Alex's instructions. No offense, but I was confused with some of the steps because of the wording. I would estimate that it took about 3 hours for that.

The second light was simple because I basically memorized how to set the wiring up... took probably 30 minutes.

I don't have the HID blinking problem when I arm the car... Another funny thing is, I can now turn my H3's on and off anytime (with car on or off). Kind of nice, IMHO.

My auto light switch turns on the HIDs. Does that happen for you guys too?
Old 09-11-2001, 08:30 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Installed the HIDs yesterday night and everything went smoothly. The first light took forever because I had to decipher Alex's instructions. No offense, but I was confused with some of the steps because of the wording. I would estimate that it took about 3 hours for that.

The second light was simple because I basically memorized how to set the wiring up... took probably 30 minutes.

I don't have the HID blinking problem when I arm the car... Another funny thing is, I can now turn my H3's on and off anytime (with car on or off). Kind of nice, IMHO.

My auto light switch turns on the HIDs. Does that happen for you guys too?
Did you use the SCHEMATIC? I think it does a better explanation. A picture explains a 1000 words.

The HIDs do NOT blink, the HI-beam indicator light on the dash blinks VERY faintly unless the lights are on, even if the car is off. The HIDs do NOT flash when you arm/disarm the alarm, but when it's activated(PANIC/Triggered).

The AUTO switch turns on the HIDs when the OUTSIDE lighting is a certain brightness or lack thereof and you switch too slowly from OFF to the RUNNING lights only postion. I haven't tried that with the fog lights, but just call it ANOTHER added feature. I did notice the HI-beams can be turned on ANYTIME(no key required) with just the LO/HI/FLASH lever, I'm not sure if the old headlamps did this.

So, how do they look???? Nice, Heh!
Old 09-11-2001, 08:42 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Did you use the SCHEMATIC? I think it does a better explanation. A picture explains a 1000 words.

The HIDs do NOT blink, the HI-beam indicator light on the dash blinks VERY faintly unless the lights are on, even if the car is off. The HIDs do NOT flash when you arm/disarm the alarm, but when it's activated(PANIC/Triggered).

The AUTO switch turns on the HIDs when the OUTSIDE lighting is a certain brightness or lack thereof and you switch too slowly from OFF to the RUNNING lights only postion. I haven't tried that with the fog lights, but just call it ANOTHER added feature:smile. I did notice the HI-beams can be turned on ANYTIME(no key required) with just the LO/HI/FLASH lever, I'm not sure if the old headlamps did this.

So, how do they look???? Nice, Heh!
Yeah, the schematics definitely helped. I believe a real image would've helped a lot, but it was fun trying to understand what you're talking about. Good job on the write-up!

I thought you guys said the HIDs will flash when the car is armed... I probably misread something. Thanks for the clarification.

The highbeams coming on anytime is a nice feature too!!! We can use those and the fogs if we decide not to turn the HIDs on....... but who would do that?

BTW, don't use the PIAA Plasma wedge bulbs... they don't look that great. I'm planning on switching to Raybrig Hyper Whites tonight (have an extra set), so I'll take some Plasma vs. Raybrig pics to let you see.

Just wanted to mention that the hi beams look nasty... defintely going to get better looking ones.

For all you looking for matching fog light bulbs... PIAA Xtreme White works really well. Again, let me take some pics and post them up tomorrow (no internet connectivity from home because we just moved).
Old 09-11-2001, 09:18 AM

What do PIAA wedge bulbs have to do with the HID install? Did I miss something?
Old 09-11-2001, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by mdeal
color match
Old 09-11-2001, 11:15 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Yeah, the schematics definitely helped. I believe a real image would've helped a lot, but it was fun trying to understand what you're talking about. Good job on the write-up!

I thought you guys said the HIDs will flash when the car is armed... I probably misread something. Thanks for the clarification.

The highbeams coming on anytime is a nice feature too!!! We can use those and the fogs if we decide not to turn the HIDs on....... but who would do that?

BTW, don't use the PIAA Plasma wedge bulbs... they don't look that great. I'm planning on switching to Raybrig Hyper Whites tonight (have an extra set), so I'll take some Plasma vs. Raybrig pics to let you see.

Just wanted to mention that the hi beams look nasty... defintely going to get better looking ones.

For all you looking for matching fog light bulbs... PIAA Xtreme White works really well. Again, let me take some pics and post them up tomorrow (no internet connectivity from home because we just moved).
Hey Kev, does the "high" indicator light illuminate faintly as like Alex prior to the relay?

I too am doing Alex's write up. More solid, and more safe. And I can understand schemo better than the write up. He he he
Old 09-11-2001, 01:44 PM

So the HID is on low beam only? and Halogen for high beam?
Old 09-11-2001, 01:51 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
So the HID is on low beam only? and Halogen for high beam?
That is sorta correct. HID is only low, 9005 is high. The way Alex wired BOTH are on when High is activated and only HID when lows are activated.
Old 09-11-2001, 02:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am glad you like them as much as everyone else. My auto switch does turn on the HIDs when it is dark enough out.
Old 09-11-2001, 05:04 PM

[B]

B]
What if you use PIAA Xtreme White 168 Wedge bulbs. Do you think that this will offer a better color? BTW, how hard is it to change the foglight bulbs?
Old 09-12-2001, 06:35 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by mdeal
The wedge bulbs are used for the driving/running lights (the small white circle above the turning signal).

I forgot the disk at home so all the pictures won't be uploaded anytime soon. We're hoping to get internet connection today from 3-5 PM... will try to upload then.
Old 09-12-2001, 06:36 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Colonel

Hey Kev, does the "high" indicator light illuminate faintly as like Alex prior to the relay?

I too am doing Alex's write up. More solid, and more safe. And I can understand schemo better than the write up. He he he
Yes, the indicator faintly blinks. I'm hoping the relays will fix that problem.

I agree, the schematic is easier to follow.

j/p Alex.
Old 09-12-2001, 06:38 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

What if you use PIAA Xtreme White 168 Wedge bulbs. Do you think that this will offer a better color? BTW, how hard is it to change the foglight bulbs?
The Raybrig Hyper Whites match well. The color isn't exact, but close enough. Xtreme White 168? Hmmmmm..... I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:18 AM

Re: .

Yes, the indicator faintly blinks. I'm hoping the relays will fix that problem.

I agree, the schematic is easier to follow.

j/p Alex.
The relays will fix the HI-beam indicator problem with NO doubt. I should find the wire to cut soon for a bandaid fix.

Plus, with the RELAYS you could SAFELY run 80-Watt bulbs if the housing can handle the heat. I haven't been able to find 9005 Xtreme Whites in the 80-watt version.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:30 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: .

The relays will fix the HI-beam indicator problem with NO doubt. I should find the wire to cut soon for a bandaid fix.

Plus, with the RELAYS you could SAFELY run 80-Watt bulbs if the housing can handle the heat. I haven't been able to find 9005 Xtreme Whites in the 80-watt version.
Were you able to find Xtreme Whites? The best I can find are Super Platinums (I don't have my bookmarks at work).
Old 09-12-2001, 11:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: .

Were you able to find Xtreme Whites? The best I can find are Super Platinums (I don't have my bookmarks at work).
60-Watt bulbs(Expensive though!)
http://www.hitechimportlighting.com/piaa.htm

I was considering trying to find a 9000-series bulb or similar that fits in the 9005 housing, but that has a 2-filament bulb like the H4 for BOTH High and Low.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:54 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: .

60-Watt bulbs(Expensive though!)
http://www.hitechimportlighting.com/piaa.htm

I was considering trying to find a 9000-series bulb or similar that fits in the 9005 housing, but that has a 2-filament bulb like the H4 for BOTH High and Low.
Thanks for the link. I couldn't remember the exact URL of the site you posted for my life...

You'll need quite a bit of modifying to get another bulb in there. If you want 80W, I believe Razo has some. I wonder if Raybrig has any...
Old 09-12-2001, 12:06 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

OK, I think I'm wrong about the Razo 80W bulbs... doing a search but can't find any.
Old 09-12-2001, 12:10 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Found some high wattage 9005's, but they're not PIAA

http://www.google.com/search?q=9005+80+watt
Old 09-12-2001, 12:21 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Heres's an interesting site:
http://www.nascarplace.com/piaa/itmidx1.htm
Old 09-12-2001, 01:19 PM

PIAA Only.....

I've only had PIAA, so I'm not sure what is the look or quality of the others.

Let me know if you find 9005 PIAA Xtremes for cheaper or 9005 style TWO-element bulbs.