5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clay bar mess

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 06:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just tried the Meguiar's Quik Clay kit. How is this stuff supposed to work?? It leaves clay streaks wherever you use it. I had to scrub hard with a cloth to remove the streaks. I followed the instructions (not too difficult), so what is wrong with this clay bar thing? It's especially bad on edges. It leaves a clay covering over the entire edge. You have to scrub like a madman to get the stuff off. I hope I'm not damaging my clearcoat using this stuff. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-15-2001, 06:47 PM

dont clay bars come with a spray?

you spray first then clay then wipe?
Old 09-15-2001, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by DooBall
dont clay bars come with a spray?

you spray first then clay then wipe?
Yeah, I sprayed that stuff on liberally. Still got clay streaks all over the place. I had to spray more of the "quik detailer" on to scrub the clay streaks off. What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-15-2001, 08:12 PM

I just finished claying my car like last week.
I would spray on the stuff that came with it,
and wipe the bar lightly like it says in the
directions, going over the spot continuosly,
until you hear less noise which means you are
removing the crap. Again I gotta stress to
do it light and in sections. Once it sits for
a bit, you will notice the two produtcts formed
a waxy coat over the paint. Once that sits for
a bit, it shouldn't be too difficult to get off.
Old 09-15-2001, 08:30 PM

Maybe the bar is bad or not good quality.?.?
Old 09-15-2001, 09:19 PM

no, i just did mine this past week. it was my first time, so i didn't know what i was doing at first.

i did the rear bumper where i knew i'd see a difference, and i was getting the same problem as you, streaks of crap. but after a while i got everything going nice and smooth.

what i did was work the bar for a little bit before i continued until it got really soft and from there on it was easier to rub and it didn't leave marks.

i worked or kneaded the bar(just fold it and streatch it) while spraying some stuff every once in a while so it didn't stick to my hands.
Old 09-15-2001, 09:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I used this thing called Clay Magic. That crap didn't work! What if the "residue" has been on for a long period of time, will the clay car still work? That's my thinking of why the clay bar didn't work for me.
Old 09-15-2001, 09:35 PM

Hey, thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try again and see if I can get it right. The clay gets dirty pretty quick!

On another note, Meguiar's tire gel seems to work pretty well. The applicator makes it easy and the shine is beautiful. Hopefully it stays shiny for weeks, like it says on the box.
Old 09-15-2001, 11:19 PM

Well, I tried the clay bar again and it didn't streak anymore once I took victor's advice and kneaded the clay for a little bit. I can't really tell if it's doing anything. Maybe my car is already clean?

Guess my main point is, save yourself $10, the clay bar seems to do nothing.
Old 09-15-2001, 11:28 PM

this reminds me to clay my car...
Old 09-15-2001, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by irvine78
this reminds me to clay my car...
So you actually see\feel a difference after using the clay? I'll sell my clay kit to anyone who wants to give it a try Do I hear a bid for $10, anyone?
Old 09-16-2001, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by Tanmann9
Meguiar's tire gel seems to work pretty well. The applicator makes it easy and the shine is beautiful. Hopefully it stays shiny for weeks, like it says on the box.
Don't u hate how it makes your hands feel though? yuck! smells so good though
Old 09-16-2001, 12:11 AM

the bar did wonder for my car, well for the rear bumper it did. i have the icelandic pearl so i can see the carbon and the rest of the crap that get's onto the paint easily. i'm not sure if the rest of you get it, but on the rear end of my car i get little black dots after a few months, and the bar cleaned those right off.

i think if the bar is getting dirty it's working. i just need to polish and then wax my car, and the process will be complete.

after the bar gets dirty and you work it a little it turns back white.

oh, and that meguirs tire shine is the best stuff i've used in regards to shine, in a gel form.
Old 09-16-2001, 03:36 AM

Zaino Clay Bar

I've used the Zaino clay bar with excellent results. You mix your own spray solution (Zaino car wash and water). Spray the solution on and then gently rub the working area with the clay. A couple of points though: I wash the car thoroughly first, work only on a small area at a time (2' x 2'), use once or twice per year. Wash the car again when your done. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2001, 06:14 AM
OG and counting...

Clay Bar 101

Purpose:

Clay bars are designed to remove bonded cantaminants from the paint. Those contaminants include some tree saps, some tar, Rail dust, and industrial fallout.

How to use:
After washing the car, spray the lubricant over a 2' by 2' area. Take the clay bar and knead it into a patty. Rub using a linear motion until you no longer feel the clay "grabbing." After doing an area, knead the clay. For our Maximas, it should not take more than 1 hr-2 hrs.

Storage:
Put the clay in a sealed baggie or a tupperware container to prevent drying out.

Good Clay Bars to use:
Pinnacle Poly Clay: Expensive, but worth it.

Mother's: Results are excellent and it can be gotten anywhere.

Zaino Z16 Clay Bar

I used the Meguiar's before and ran into that streaking problem. I wound up washing the car a second time to get the residue off.
Old 09-20-2001, 05:15 AM
Conecarver

I too used the Mothers clay and it worked great. Keep spraying as you work it and be patient. I did larger sections like 20" x 20" and still got good results.

Clay starts to deteriorate after use - try cutting it into 2-4 smaller chunks before you start. Toss the used ones after they die.
Old 09-20-2001, 05:20 AM

I used the mother's bar and it worked great. Key was to liberally use the spray. There were streaks and a coating - I did the whole car in one shot - but they washed right off.

I don't know that the results are always something you can see. But if you are going to follow with Zaino, for example, it'll get the finish very clean for big time shine.
Old 09-20-2001, 05:39 AM

i did my car, that is clay bar-ed it, in the rain, so i didn't have to keep rewetting the surface.

but definately felt the difference on my rear bumper. i haven't gotten a chance to rewash it though, so i coud poilish and wax it.