5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima to be built in the US

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 03:19 PM

Maxima to be built in the US

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001..._maxima_1.html
Maximas from the USA At least it is not being discontinued
Old 09-27-2001, 05:42 PM

Re: Maxima to be built in the US

Originally posted by martinf
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001..._maxima_1.html
Maximas from the USA At least it is not being discontinued
Thanks for the article. I heard a blub about it on tonights CBS news but I did not get the whole thing. This article verifies that the Max will be redesigned for year 2003. I can't wait to see it.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:21 PM

hasn't the maxima being made in the US anyways?
Old 09-27-2001, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Green_2
designed in la holla california, built in omaha japan i belive.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:33 PM

No wonder it's a piece od **** ...uhhh...I mean...no wonder it's a great car!!
Old 09-28-2001, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
designed in la holla california, built in omaha japan i belive.
Omaha? No, thats in Nebraska. The name of the city in Japan where ALL the Maximas are made, is called Oppama. I know because I used to live there. Used to go down to this park that was above the Nissan plant and they have this huge test track where all new cars are tested prior to being released. They run the cars through huge bodies of water at high speeds, do huge donughts (sp?) in a parking lot area to test the tires, then they load them right up on a ship sitting right next to the plant so we can have a brand new Maxima. Neat place if you ever get a chance to check it out.

Shadou
Old 09-28-2001, 01:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Green_2
nope...over 95% Japanese made...which means...they mounted the tires in America when they shipped the cars over..
Old 09-28-2001, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by shadou

They run the cars through huge bodies of water at high speeds, do huge donughts (sp?) in a parking lot area to test the tires, then they load them right up on a ship

Shadou
Ohh.. so that's how we get lemon cars....
Old 09-28-2001, 03:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The news article I read also mentions that the '03 Maxima will be built on the Altima platform. That's both good and bad news. It's good because the Max won't grow any larger than it is now; bad because it may be just a dressed up Altima, i.e., what the I35 is to a 2k2 Max.
Old 09-28-2001, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by mingo

:
Old 09-28-2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by shadou

Omaha? No, thats in Nebraska. The name of the city in Japan where ALL the Maximas are made, is called Oppama. I know because I used to live there. Used to go down to this park that was above the Nissan plant and they have this huge test track where all new cars are tested prior to being released. They run the cars through huge bodies of water at high speeds, do huge donughts (sp?) in a parking lot area to test the tires, then they load them right up on a ship sitting right next to the plant so we can have a brand new Maxima. Neat place if you ever get a chance to check it out.

Shadou
bastards didnt check my clearcoat thikness and the quality of windshield glass.
Old 09-28-2001, 06:49 PM

Old 09-28-2001, 09:21 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by mingo

yeah i knew there was still some water left in the a/c and dropping out the exhaust yeah

Old 09-29-2001, 06:10 PM

Re: Maxima to be built in the US

Time for a Q. Sorry Nissan but I drive JAPANESE built Maximas ‘cause the US product just doesn’t cut it. The quality of the Japanese product from materials, craftsmanship and overall fit and finish is FAR superior than anything built ANYWHERE. (ya I’ll raise a flag and buy US built when the product is comparable) but your US built cars are just another P.O.S.
Old 09-29-2001, 06:27 PM

Re: Re: Maxima to be built in the US

Originally posted by MONTARABOB
...but your US built cars are just another P.O.S.
NOT!

The Honda Accord and Toyota Camry are both build right here in the good old US of A. They are some of the best quality cars on the road and are built by Americans.
Old 09-29-2001, 07:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Maxima to be built in the US

Originally posted by jkratzer

NOT!

The Honda Accord and Toyota Camry are both build right here in the good old US of A. They are some of the best quality cars on the road and are built by Americans.
that's telling him, way to go with being patriotic....
but he's kinda right too.....japanese had the best quality management 20 years ago and they havn't dropped since then...however, USA is comming around as well and have made vast improvements on the quality of our stuff....so it's hand and hand and depends on the company as well....
Old 09-30-2001, 06:29 PM

Well...like I once said before, where it is built doesn't determine all of it's quality. Yeah, if you have a bunch of unhappy workers putting together a product that has thousands of parts, then there will bond to be some loose bolts. But if you have pooly designed product, no matter how good the people are, then it will still be a POS. And then there is the supply chain. If a supplier can't produce quality parts or designers can't produce soundly desinged parts, then the end product will still be junk.

Don't judge it based on where it's from or built. Go test drive one and judge with your own set of standards.
Old 09-30-2001, 08:44 PM

As a mngmt. major, the quality of the product is only 5% up to employees. The rest 95% is up to the management and the manufacturing process (Source: TQM by Dr. Deming) If Nissan will continue to cut its costs by sacrificing the quality and poor service, they will loose the business no matter where they assemble the car. Sometimes companies just get too greedy and want to increase their profit margins by painting folks cars with thinner layer of clearcoat.

I think most of us agree that as Americans we'd only be proud to buy American if it is quality-made.

Old 10-01-2001, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
As a mngmt. major, the quality of the product is only 5% up to employees. The rest 95% is up to the management and the manufacturing process (Source: TQM by Dr. Deming) If Nissan will continue to cut its costs by sacrificing the quality and poor service, they will loose the business no matter where they assemble the car. Sometimes companies just get too greedy and want to increase their profit margins by painting folks cars with thinner layer of clearcoat.

I think most of us agree that as Americans we'd only be proud to buy American if it is quality-made.

Hehe...what you don't realize is that managers are the ones dictating if the employees are happy or not...
Old 10-01-2001, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Magellan
The news article I read also mentions that the '03 Maxima will be built on the Altima platform. That's both good and bad news. It's good because the Max won't grow any larger than it is now; bad because it may be just a dressed up Altima, i.e., what the I35 is to a 2k2 Max.
Good: It'll have the independent rear suspension
Old 10-01-2001, 09:04 PM

Re: Re: Maxima to be built in the US

A car is a pile of parts assembled into an automobile. The quality of the finished product is only as good as the pile of parts going into it. In my original post I simply said the quality of product i.e. materials, craftsmanship overall fit and finish of the Japanese automobile is second to none. Yes USA manufacturing has dramatically improved over recent years but it still is NOT the same quality of the Japanese. I base my opinion on nearly 20 years of selling Nissan parts. In the literally tens of millions of $$ of Nissan parts I have handled over the years I can tell you a part manufactured in the USA is second to that of a Japanese part. From a hood panel to a wheel cylinder, the detail is outstanding. Look closely and compair for yourself. The casting, the machining, the raw texture the consistent clean edges. You’ll see the difference. The biggest contributor to Nissans overall past finical woes stems from there vast network of vendors. With over 4500 part suppliers they literally had ma & pa assembling wiring harnesses in there garages. Yes your Maximas harness was handmade. I bet not one of you has ever had a problem with your original wiring harnesses. And this is just one part of thousands that comprise an automobile. Not to say all Japanese parts are perfect, but overall superior. Japan imports virtually all its raw materials. It has no natural resources. Knowing a quality raw material achieves superior results they tend to purchase top grade. Superior parts make for a superior auto. As more and more replacement parts are procured from US vendors, the mass-produced (more economic = bigger profits) mega-vendors cannot adhere to the quality of a small, "family" manufacturing standard. Well we can’t live in the past. Modernization will allow the company to be profitable and therefor stay in business. This is the passing of an ere. Nissans flagship will not be the same. If given a choice I’ll seek out a quality replacement.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:58 PM

we'll just hafta see what the future holds.. but i am more than happy to know that my car was built in japan..
Old 10-02-2001, 01:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Maxima to be built in the US

Originally posted by MONTARABOB
A car is a pile of parts assembled into an automobile. The quality of the finished product is only as good as the pile of parts going into it. In my original post I simply said the quality of product i.e. materials, craftsmanship overall fit and finish of the Japanese automobile is second to none. Yes USA manufacturing has dramatically improved over recent years but it still is NOT the same quality of the Japanese. I base my opinion on nearly 20 years of selling Nissan parts. In the literally tens of millions of $$ of Nissan parts I have handled over the years I can tell you a part manufactured in the USA is second to that of a Japanese part. From a hood panel to a wheel cylinder, the detail is outstanding. Look closely and compair for yourself. The casting, the machining, the raw texture the consistent clean edges. You’ll see the difference. The biggest contributor to Nissans overall past finical woes stems from there vast network of vendors. With over 4500 part suppliers they literally had ma & pa assembling wiring harnesses in there garages. Yes your Maximas harness was handmade. I bet not one of you has ever had a problem with your original wiring harnesses. And this is just one part of thousands that comprise an automobile. Not to say all Japanese parts are perfect, but overall superior. Japan imports virtually all its raw materials. It has no natural resources. Knowing a quality raw material achieves superior results they tend to purchase top grade. Superior parts make for a superior auto. As more and more replacement parts are procured from US vendors, the mass-produced (more economic = bigger profits) mega-vendors cannot adhere to the quality of a small, "family" manufacturing standard. Well we can’t live in the past. Modernization will allow the company to be profitable and therefor stay in business. This is the passing of an ere. Nissans flagship will not be the same. If given a choice I’ll seek out a quality replacement.
Thanks for the essay! Very well said! I agree with you 100%. Will always love Nissan products even if I never buy another Nissan product as long as I live.

Shadou
Old 10-27-2001, 10:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

us built max

i said the same about not buying another maxima if it was made here, id be willing to bet that the horsepower drops, and quality goes way under. take the dodge intrepid, the ford taurus, and many other american made cars. the dodge intrepids used to have the 249hp 3.5L in all the models of the cars, now only the R/Ts have them. before the cheaper intrepids had the 3.5s now the cheaper ones have the puny 2.7s. and the taurus, theres not even an SHO made anymore. and the power in the new ones suck, like 153hp i think in a 3.4 V6 (not sure but i think thats the numbers). it wouldnt surprise me to see that the three maxima models all have different engines in them, like for example the GXE with a 4 cylinder, the SE with standard 4 cylinder and optional V6 and the GLE with standard V6. i just think that the american switch will totally destroy the maxima.