5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone have a write up on.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 10:08 PM

Anyone have a write up on.....

I just got a hayden Transmission cooler. Actually its at the UPS office but I was wondering how to install one. Anyone know where I can find a write on this for the max. Anyone have pics on the install. I plan to take pics while I am installing to help others. Thanks in advance for your time guys.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:16 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

GregP has done a write-up, but I don't have his current URL.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
GregP has done a write-up, but I don't have his current URL.
You have one don't you Kev? Was it hard to install? And how much fluid will I need?
Old 09-28-2001, 02:31 AM

I found it Kev. Thanks for the info
http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/1999%20Nissan%20Maxima%20SE/Xmission%20Cooler.htm
Old 09-28-2001, 02:32 AM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

Originally posted by Menacer
http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/1999%20Nissan%20Maxima%20SE/Xmission%20Cooler.htm
If he were awake, he would say...You're welcome.
Old 09-28-2001, 06:22 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Jane97SE

Trying to be smart, eh?

The install wasn't too hard, but the most complicated part is getting your hands in positions you never thought possible. You'll probably need about extra 1 quart.
Old 09-28-2001, 03:33 PM

Cool, i thought i would need 11 quarts. So I don't need to drain fluid just catch it? And that one guy forgot his name used extra transmission hose, so did
you do the same and do you mount yours with zip ties? Thanks
Old 09-28-2001, 04:15 PM

Cool, i thought i would need 11 quarts. So I don't need to drain fluid just catch it? And that one guy forgot his name used extra transmission hose, so didi you do the same and do you mount yours with zip ties? Thanks
sorry this isnt' kevin.. but it's advisable to use new transmission hose over stock for optimal performance because of the better flow. the hayden tranny cooler comes with these "zip tie" like mounts with double side adhesive. the adhesive is not to hold the tranny cooler in but to prevent you from over tightening and damaging the radiator or ac condensor's fins. but as far as mounting the hoses, zip ties would work, and it is advisable to either get a hose with a greater diameter and then feed the hoses through where it may contact with metal to prevent the hose from rubbing through, or you can slice open an extra peice of tranny oil line and open it up.. i hope this helped a bit
Old 09-28-2001, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by mingo

sorry this isnt' kevin.. but it's advisable to use new transmission hose over stock for optimal performance because of the better flow.
Thanks Mingo. Help, thoughts, and opinions are always appreaciated. So it's better to use a new transmission hose than the one that came with the 404 cooler. If I buy a hose from an auto parts store how long does it have to be and what diameter do i get. I posted a link in which Greg did what you where describing. i was wondering if i should follow his write up exactly like he did it. Reason i ask is because he has a 4th gen and i have 5th gen. i was wondering if the return hose is in the exact same return hose as the 5th gen one. are his pics represenative of how my car is. I hope i said that right

...and it is advisable to either get a hose with a greater diameter and then feed the hoses through where it may contact with metal to prevent the hose from rubbing through, or you can slice open an extra peice of tranny oil line and open it up.. i hope this helped a bit
Can heating insulation material (not sure what its called but I think i saw this stuff on or around headers) be used or ot it better to put a hose around the main hose or hoses that are cappable of coming in contact with heat. Thanks for your input Mingo. You and Y2KevSE have been great help. i'm starting to get a better idea of what to do. But am still a little worried that i will mess up. I guess i need to be sure of which hose is the return line and what the other hose is for i have no clue. But I will check it out. Thanks again, take care.
Old 09-29-2001, 02:20 PM

So it's better to use a new transmission hose than the one that came with the 404 cooler.

oops sorry for the confusion, but what i meant to say was, it is alot better to use the "new" transmission fluid lines in place of your stock return and feed line. i didn't replace the feed line or return (forgot which one) but it still works. the reason why i said go with a new one is because the hose in the kit wil probably not be enough to replace both lines and do the plumbing for your new cooler at the same time, so you might need extra.. remember to not "center" the cooler because that big metal thing on the middle of the car will block air flow, so i recomend you mount the cooler to the left of the radiator (still on the radiator but just left portion of it) when you're facing the car. .or which ever way is easy for you. That way you get better air flow through that cooler also creating better cooling effects.

Can heating insulation material be used or ot it better to put a hose around the main hose or hoses that are cappable of coming in contact with heat
actually i doubt you'll need to do that, these lines actually get pretty hot themselves because they're drawing hot fluids from your transmission and cooling them off, so i guess they have no problem withstanding the heat from the engine.. i haven't heard of anyone wrapping them in header wrap, I personally would think it would be a waste of money, and wouldn't know if it's at all benificial, but you definately do make a good point about trying to protect the lines from the engine heat, but i find it unneccary.

in order to check which is the return and feed line, you might want two people to do this.. first you remove one line.. put a oil drain pain under it to catch fluids.. have someone start the car real quick and see if fluids are shooting out of it.. if it shoots out, it's the feed line. if it doesn't it's the return line.. sound scary but it'll be fine. just make sure you shut off the engine instantly after you see fluids gushing out..
Old 09-30-2001, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by Jane97SE

I think so too. I usually see Kev thanking people for compliments so I know hes a nice guy. I think most of the people on the org. are as well. Nice maxima Jane, have you ever raced Kev?
Old 09-30-2001, 01:31 AM

in order to check which is the return and feed line, you might want two people to do this.. first you remove one line.. put a oil drain pain under it to catch fluids.. have someone start the car real quick and see if fluids are shooting out of it.. if it shoots out, it's the feed line. if it doesn't it's the return line.. sound scary but it'll be fine. just make sure you shut off the engine instantly after you see fluids gushing out..
I'm feeling a little more confident about the install. So what is the best way to have it mounted:

This way: M or ->
-> meaning should the cooler be mounted with the part where the hose hooks up to the cooler going downwards or side ways. And which way sideways <-- or -->. oh and the zip ties go right thru the ac condensor without a problem right? I will have to read the instructions again cause i am confused what the other hose insert is for but i will figure it out. Thanks Mingo for the help and did you get your stereo mods?
Old 09-30-2001, 03:46 AM

I'm feeling a little more confident about the install. So what is the best way to have it mounted:

This way: M or ->
-> meaning should the cooler be mounted with the part where the hose hooks up to the cooler going downwards or side ways. And which way sideways <-- or -->. oh and the zip ties go right thru the ac condensor without a problem right? I will have to read the instructions again cause i am confused what the other hose insert is for but i will figure it out. Thanks Mingo for the help and did you get your stereo mods?
yeop.. the zip ties will go through your ac condensoro without a problem. it goes through the gaps of the fins.. if it doesn't go through easy dont' force it, take out the zip tie mounting kit and re-feed it through.. but remember once you get the zip tie mounts to click once then you'll have a very hard time taking it back out, so feed all those zip ties through then put the circular base over it and click it in all the way.. make sure you place those mounts within the loops of the oil lines on the cooler (follow the instructions for mounting the cooler provided with the kit). the way i decided to mount the cooler was, the nipples would stick out horizontally, and the oil feed line would go to the nipple at the highest point, and the return line would go to the lowest point, that way it flows with gravity.. you'll be fine if it's reversed i assume since the fluid is moved by a pump and doesn't rely on gravity.

oh as far as my stereo.. i got all the parts in.. i'm slowly designing my presentation for the system.. going to take alot of restless hours, but it'll or it should be well worth it.. i hope to get it up by the 20th.. (not including upolstry of certain panels)

and hopefully finalized in 3months.. (assuming i get a job by then to buy other accories such as neon lights, sound deadener, electric actuators, digital signal processors, and stuff.. but i'll take it one step at a time.. tahnx for asking thouhg.. g'luck on your install..
daniel
Old 09-30-2001, 12:49 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Oooooo..... lots of useful information.

Good luck with the install!

Jane hasn't raced me (boost vs. boost) because she's scared. Hehehehe
Old 10-01-2001, 01:09 AM

Oooooo..... lots of useful information.
Yeah huh? Thats why I love the org, I have learn alot. Where would I be without the org?

Good luck with the install!
Thanks. I feel more confident about doing this install. I am going to take my time and take pics so that other org members will hopefully benefit. Thanks for the info on the org member with the write up, I did a search and found it. Thanks to Mingo for all of his knowledge and advice. He explain things so clearly, and answered questions that i had after reading the write-up and cooler instructions. Thanks Mingo.

Jane hasn't raced me (boost vs. boost) because she's scared. Hehehehe
Old 10-01-2001, 01:53 PM

Thanks to Mingo for all of his knowledge and advice. He explain things so clearly, and answered questions that i had after reading the write-up and cooler instructions. Thanks Mingo.

thank you for your kind words.. now i'm all embarassed.
Old 10-02-2001, 04:01 AM

thank you for your kind words.. now i'm all embarassed.
Your welcome. I just installed the cooler and boy did it take me forever. I think it took me 6 hours...don't ask why lets just say i took my time and had a hard time with some stuff. I was supposed to take out the stock return line right? Just making sure. My cousin started my car and fluid came out of the radiator. I then hooked up the hose from the top nipple of the cooler to the radiator and the hose from the bottom nipple of the cooler to the transmission. I tested it out and in all gears it seems fine. I added an extra 3/4 quart of synthetic ATF. Even though about 4 oz spilled out i felt the need to add extra to compensate for the longer path the fluid has to take thru the raditor, thru the cooler and back to the tranny. I will check the fluid level tommorrow and will check for leaks and again in about a week or so. I really hope I did it correctly. Thanks again for your help. I also took pics and will eventually post a writeup. (Dang my back really hurts)
Old 10-02-2001, 03:14 PM

my hands got cut up from the install.. but oh well the battle scars just builds character.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Menasor

or this link: http://tinyurl.com/ro7sb
Old 06-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi,

I'm also thinking of putting a transmission cooler and oil cooler as well. I'm looking at different types of coolers. Hayden model 404 is about $50, the price for Stillen's cooler is not even listed. I'm gona call tomorrow and see how much it is. Also there is one shop here in houston, that will build me one custom made for $400. What other brands of cooler are ther for 5.5Gen Maxima?

I'm trying to figure out who make a better quality cooler. I don't mind paying a little more for a better product.

By any chance anyone has the Stillen transmission cooler? if so how much are they??

Thanks,
Old 06-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Quoted from a web page
"Description
B&M's SuperCooler low pressure drop coolers reduce the risk of lube system failure. A controlled amount of ATF is allowed to bypass the stacked plate core, passing through a self-regulating orifice which monitors resistance to flow. Controlled by viscosity, the thicker ATF is returned directly to lube through two open bypass openings in the stacked plate core. As operating temperatures increase, more of the ATF flow is directed through the core. Resulting in a highly efficient cooling technology that combines improved protection against lube system failure with the required levels of optimal heat transfer.
Key features
the smallest size & lightest wieght cooler relative to cooling capacity you can buy.
Better cooling than ordinary fin & tube coolers.
Rigid stacked plate design resistant to damage from clying rocks or other debris.
Pressure tested to 200 PSI.
Low pressure drop feature included on #70255, #70268, & #70264.
Includes installation kit.

Applications
70255 SuperCooler 16,000 GVW 11"x5-3/4"x3/4"
70268 SuperCooler 19,000 GVW 11"x7-1/2"x3/4"
70264 SuperCooler 24,000 GVW 11"x6"x1-1/2"
70266* SuperCooler 28,000 GVW 11"x8"x1-1/2"
70273* SuperCooler 15,000 BTU 11"x5-3/4"x1-1/2" (new size)
70274* SuperCooler 29,200 BTU 11"x11"x1-1/2" (new size)

*Racing model doesn't include installation components and has female 1/2 NPT fittings. Can also be used as an engine oil coolers. Note: GVW stands for Gross Vehicle Weight (total weight of vehicle including trailers or towed vehicles)."
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 PM
maxS

i don't see why complicate such simple thing as a tranny cooler. most of the time the atf is REALLY hot, the tranny itself gets hot, well, everything under the hood is not freezing, so unless a tranny cooler is of size of the cooling system radiator, i say in reality it will not do any miracles. What meant to say is the more cooling capability the better.