5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Qusetion for SE, AE owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 05:55 PM

Qusetion for SE, AE owners

Did your maximas come with a wrap around exhaust tip? What holds it in place? I got one today and i am wondering what size screw it should have come with if it was meant to come with one. it looks like it takes a screw. I will try to post pics. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2001, 05:58 PM

Another pic.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:43 PM

yup, mine has a screw, but i don't know if it doea anything. i wanted to take mine off to clean it, so i assumed the screw would let me take it off, i unscrewed the screw, and i still couldn't get it off. i pulled so hard on the thing too, i thought i was going to pull the muffler off it's hanger.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:21 PM
JET Speed Lab

my whole exhaust is sitting in my boiler room
Old 10-01-2001, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by victor
yup, mine has a screw, but i don't know if it doea anything. i wanted to take mine off to clean it, so i assumed the screw would let me take it off, i unscrewed the screw, and i still couldn't get it off. i pulled so hard on the thing too, i thought i was going to pull the muffler off it's hanger.
they'll come off.. alotta liquid wrench, wd40 and elbow grease.. i took it off but damaged it, but that's ok.. since i was installing my carbon fiber tips in place of them.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:42 AM

Do you have an idea of the size screw it might be?
Old 10-02-2001, 06:03 AM

thanks mingo.

menacer,
i'll go out and get the screw out and check for you, when i get home from school, if no one else has replied.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:15 PM
JET Speed Lab

i checked out my muffler and it was easy to take off. but my exhaust is not hooked up.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:26 PM
jjs

A/E's do not have this tip, the pipes are bent downward from the muffler.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:39 PM

thanks mingo.

menacer,
i'll go out and get the screw out and check for you, when i get home from school, if no one else has replied.
Thank you Victor. I looked at my muffler and don't see how a screw would go into any part of the muffler. Does the screw bolt into the muffler or does it just used to hold it in place and keep it from sliding out, kind of like those rings that hold the weight plates on a weightlifting bar?
Old 10-02-2001, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by jjs
A/E's do not have this tip, the pipes are bent downward from the muffler.
I thought that since an AE was an SE (correct me if i'm wrong)just with some added stuff that it had the same tips. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 10-02-2001, 01:39 PM
jjs

The A/E had different seats (perforated leather if ordered), interior accents, body kit, special key, different exhaust tips, badges, etc.
Old 10-02-2001, 01:41 PM

no

i believe that the AE has no finisher tips and that the stock exhaust tips just face downward.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:02 PM

oh i forgot to mention.. for the se.. we had a bracket that is welded on there it's a peice of flat metal with a nut welded on there.. then u screw it on after you slide the chrome finisher onto the tips.. i had to chop that off.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:21 PM

Re: Qusetion for SE, AE owners

Originally posted by Menacer
Did your maximas come with a wrap around exhaust tip? What holds it in place? I got one today and i am wondering what size screw it should have come with if it was meant to come with one. it looks like it takes a screw. I will try to post pics. Thanks.
Hey Menacer, during the summer I was tired to see this ugly chrome gizmo on my car, I tried to pull it out, it was really though so I ended up breaking it a part, then I and replaced it with 2 separates chrome tips, I paid those tips like 6$ CDN ( 4$ US ) each, I bought those at Canadian Tire, I guess Pep boy should have those too. The nice thing is these chrome tips goes as far as the muffler tubing goes. ( I actually steal the idea from someone in this forum ) You know what, I never saw a 2K1 SE AE Max in my city that have those.

Cheers

doublea
Old 10-02-2001, 06:50 PM

yeah I also wanna know about the chrome tip. my homie works at the countryclub, and they get SE's and GLE's.....and he got his tools with him. I didnt say antyhing.
Old 10-03-2001, 02:54 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Qusetion for SE, AE owners

Originally posted by doublea

Hey Menacer, during the summer I was tired to see this ugly chrome gizmo on my car, I tried to pull it out, it was really though so I ended up breaking it a part, then I and replaced it with 2 separates chrome tips, I paid those tips like 6$ CDN ( 4$ US ) each, I bought those at Canadian Tire, I guess Pep boy should have those too. The nice thing is these chrome tips goes as far as the muffler tubing goes. ( I actually steal the idea from someone in this forum ) You know what, I never saw a 2K1 SE AE Max in my city that have those.

Cheers

doublea
How did you get a tip for downward bent exhausts? You are running an AE, right? Are CA AE's different in exhaust?
Old 10-03-2001, 05:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Qusetion for SE, AE owners

Originally posted by jjs

How did you get a tip for downward bent exhausts? You are running an AE, right? Are CA AE's different in exhaust?
Hey jjs, I have a Canadian SE 20th, the muffler tips are strait, not downward bent. I remember seing some USA-Max with dual downward bent exhaust. You can cut the 2 downward tips at 5-6 inches from the muffler and then screw the chrome tips on it.

Cheers

doublea
Old 10-03-2001, 06:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I never liked the wrap around thing on my exhaust either. I will probably take it off now that I see what people have done on this thread. But then again I been delaying it cause I want to get a muffle also.
Old 10-04-2001, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
I never liked the wrap around thing on my exhaust either. I will probably take it off now that I see what people have done on this thread. But then again I been delaying it cause I want to get a muffle also.

What do you want to do with it- I'd put it on my GXE, better than nothing. I'll be at Cap raceway tomorrow, so we could talk about it there...
Old 10-04-2001, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

What do you want to do with it- I'd put it on my GXE, better than nothing. I'll be at Cap raceway tomorrow, so we could talk about it there...
Well I aint taking it off just yet. But once I take it off, I will let you have it. I either want to get TIPS or get a whole new muffler.

Dixit
Old 10-04-2001, 07:16 PM

Well I aint taking it off just yet. But once I take it off, I will let you have it. I either want to get TIPS or get a whole new muffler.

Dixit
i like my muffler with tips on it.. and the resonated tips make it sound just a tad bit different.. not louder, but deeper
Old 10-04-2001, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by mingo

i like my muffler with tips on it.. and the resonated tips make it sound just a tad bit different.. not louder, but deeper
What kind of tips, i want to check some out, send me pic or something of what it looks like?
Old 10-04-2001, 10:02 PM

menacer,
i don't know if you've been reading this or not, but i haven't posted the size yet.

i've been really really busy this past week hopefully i can get to it this weekend. i've had to write a program for one of my classes and i have had some quizzes, plus one tomorrow. sorry.
Old 10-05-2001, 02:44 AM

menacer,
i don't know if you've been reading this or not, but i haven't posted the size yet.

i've been really really busy this past week hopefully i can get to it this weekend. i've had to write a program for one of my classes and i have had some quizzes, plus one tomorrow. sorry.
It's all good Victor. I understand. What are you studing for (major)? I wish i was going to school this semester. I'll probably find out what size screw it takes this Monday. But, do you know how many screws bolt on the tip to the muffler? Is it 3, 2, or 1. It looks like one at first but after looking at it, it looks like it could take more than one. Anyways, take your time and good luck with your quizzes. Take care.
Old 10-05-2001, 04:24 AM

i'm majoring in computer engineering. i'm taking some hardass classes. oh well, i guess that's what i get for picking engineering.

ok. i just went out real quick to take a look at the tip and it's only one screw. actually it's a bolt and nut. it goes in the middle slot not the two holes.
Old 10-05-2001, 04:52 PM

Dixit
Hey BigDogJonx, your car just look awesome. I am wondering why you want to replace the max original muffler ? Maybe because of the look, sound, performance ? just changing the muffler itself wont give any noticeable performance gain. If you replace the tips by 2 chrome tips @ 5-10$ each it will look much better and you will save few hundreds.

Cheers

doublea
Old 10-06-2001, 12:25 AM

Hey BigDogJonx, your car just look awesome. I am wondering why you want to replace the max original muffler ? Maybe because of the look, sound, performance ? just changing the muffler itself wont give any noticeable performance gain. If you replace the tips by 2 chrome tips @ 5-10$ each it will look much better and you will save few hundreds.

Cheers

doublea
Thanks for the compliment.
Yeah you are kinda right about changing a muffler, kinda is pointless since it wont give me any performance gain, if anything maybe a slight mileage drop and more noise. I dont need more noise.

Thanks for the tip, now I am just gonna get Tips, but know i need to figure out if the tips go on, most likely the bigger tips might touch or be VERY close to the bottom of the bumper, you think it might melt it?

Or you think since it is only a tip, it wont get to that heat intensity?
Old 10-06-2001, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the tip, now I am just gonna get Tips, but know i need to figure out if the tips go on, most likely the bigger tips might touch or be VERY close to the bottom of the bumper, you think it might melt it?

Or you think since it is only a tip, it wont get to that heat intensity?
Hey BigDogJonx, the tips has a perfect fit on my max, there is a distance of 1/2 to 3/4 inch between the muffler tips and the bumper. Concerning the heat I though of that too but when I checked it out there was nothing there.

Cheers

doublea
Old 10-06-2001, 02:05 PM

Hey BigDogJonx, the tips has a perfect fit on my max, there is a distance of 1/2 to 3/4 inch between the muffler tips and the bumper. Concerning the heat I though of that too but when I checked it out there was nothing there.

Cheers

doublea
What tips you got? Got Any pics?
Old 10-09-2001, 01:25 PM

What tips you got? Got Any pics?
Hey BigDogJonx, I got it at Canadian Tire, for 6$ CDN each, they are about 8 inch long, you will find equivalent at pepboys or I guess any Wallmart or big store. For the picture I will try to borrow a Digi cam this week and perhaps post it later.

cheers

doublea