5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Grand Prix GTP vs. 2000 Maxima Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 07:40 PM

Guys...I've followed almost this ENTIRE thread and have kept my mouth shut.

I've owned both a 98 GTP and my 97 max (I sold the GTP due to reliability issues....I went through 3 trannies and 3 alternators in 40K miles...for no reason at all...and my car wasn't modded AT ALL besides a drop-in K&N)

I really don't think we should be arguing about which car is faster. Comparing a max to a GTP performance wise is comparing apples to oranges. GTP is truly a straight-line performer....put a Max with $200 in "go-fast" mods against a GTP with $200 in "go-fast" mods against each other in the 1/4 and 9 times out of 10 the GTP will come out on top.

Now put a $200 in handling mods in a max and $200 in a GTP...and put them on an autocross course...and 9 times out of 10 the max will come out on top.

Yes the fastest maxima is faster than the fastest GTP;
Don's 12.2 to I "think" a 12.6 that I read on the Club GP top 10
BUT don's is an exception..there are many more GTPs in the 13s and 12's than Maxs....

My point is that these cars performance wise are fundamentally different which is why we really shouldn't try and compare them...I've owned both...and I have a max becuase I value realibilty, build quality, and handling over straight line speed. My max can outhandle probably almost any GTP, and I am CAPABLE of running high 13s every day without every worrying about my transmisson. I like both cars, but I'm partial to the 5-speed....I appreciate how civilized MOST of the GTP owners that come over here are and hope everyone can continue to have good, informative conversations about each other's cars.

-B
Old 10-07-2001, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Guys...I've followed almost this ENTIRE thread and have kept my mouth shut.

I've owned both a 98 GTP and my 97 max (I sold the GTP due to reliability issues....I went through 3 trannies and 3 alternators in 40K miles...for no reason at all...and my car wasn't modded AT ALL besides a drop-in K&N)

I really don't think we should be arguing about which car is faster. Comparing a max to a GTP performance wise is comparing apples to oranges. GTP is truly a straight-line performer....put a Max with $200 in "go-fast" mods against a GTP with $200 in "go-fast" mods against each other in the 1/4 and 9 times out of 10 the GTP will come out on top.

Now put a $200 in handling mods in a max and $200 in a GTP...and put them on an autocross course...and 9 times out of 10 the max will come out on top.

Yes the fastest maxima is faster than the fastest GTP;
Don's 12.2 to I "think" a 12.6 that I read on the Club GP top 10
BUT don's is an exception..there are many more GTPs in the 13s and 12's than Maxs....

My point is that these cars performance wise are fundamentally different which is why we really shouldn't try and compare them...I've owned both...and I have a max becuase I value realibilty, build quality, and handling over straight line speed. My max can outhandle probably almost any GTP, and I am CAPABLE of running high 13s every day without every worrying about my transmisson. I like both cars, but I'm partial to the 5-speed....I appreciate how civilized MOST of the GTP owners that come over here are and hope everyone can continue to have good, informative conversations about each other's cars.

-B
You are right. I am glad that somebody has driven both cars daily to compare. Although there are two little things I need to point out. I know of at least one bottle fed GTP that ran a 12.2X and I believe there was one faster than him. The second thing is if you can run 13s all day long, which I am not doubting, then you really should change your sig.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by SOLOBLAZER

You are right. I am glad that somebody has driven both cars daily to compare. Although there are two little things I need to point out. I know of at least one bottle fed GTP that ran a 12.2X and I believe there was one faster than him. The second thing is if you can run 13s all day long, which I am not doubting, then you really should change your sig.
I was just going on what I read on the "top ten list" at clubGP....you know better than I do

Well that is my best time at the track...It was REALLY slippery and crappy track....I ran 15.2 off the bottle...and I normally run 14.6-14.7 off the bottle. I'm confident that at the "other better track" in chicago I would be in the high 13s all day....that's why I said CAPABLE
Old 10-07-2001, 09:06 PM

I was just going on what I read on the "top ten list" at clubGP....you know better than I do

Well that is my best time at the track...It was REALLY slippery and crappy track....I ran 15.2 off the bottle...and I normally run 14.6-14.7 off the bottle. I'm confident that at the "other better track" in chicago I would be in the high 13s all day....that's why I said CAPABLE
If I might ask, what is the gym sock mod?
Old 10-07-2001, 10:32 PM

If I might ask, what is the gym sock mod?
I only had one rattle in my max...it was the roofliner near the rear window....it was especially bad with my stereo on. So one day I was at my buddy Jason's house (MAX2000JP) and we were trying to figure out how to get rid of that rattle and he said..."hey, why don't we just put a sock between the roofliner and the roof....it worked wonders..and his CLEAN gym sock is still in there today
Old 10-07-2001, 11:04 PM

I only had one rattle in my max...it was the roofliner near the rear window....it was especially bad with my stereo on. So one day I was at my buddy Jason's house (MAX2000JP) and we were trying to figure out how to get rid of that rattle and he said..."hey, why don't we just put a sock between the roofliner and the roof....it worked wonders..and his CLEAN gym sock is still in there today
LOL!! That's a good one. My pcm is wrapped in sweatpants and zip-tied to the inner fender of my car. I had to because it usually resides in the stock airbox, and mine isn't in my car right now because I am gutting it to make it less restrictive. Thank God for clothes!

Paul
Old 10-08-2001, 05:13 AM

Hmmmm

Originally posted by Slee_Stack
I feel pretty safe getting 5 years worth of driving (75-80K) out of the GP. Course I don't beat on it and only track it occasionally.
BTW, is it a lincoln or caddy sport sedan that's rumored to have 300hp in 2004?
I am putting on over 30k a year. At the rate I am going I will a car that has 150,000 miles on it when I have it paid off. I can't imagine paying on a car for 4-5 years and only having 75-80 thousand miles on it. Hell...that is still a new car!
Old 10-08-2001, 06:44 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Keep it civil...
Old 10-08-2001, 06:52 AM

Motorcycles own jOO. That is all.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

After hearing the GTP guys out, they make my respect got GTP owners just go sky high. I already like the car and now its really cool that the owners dont have the Acura or Honda complex. They are in the most part more respectful and more 'refined' in their manners than alot of org members. They show respect for our cars and we should return them the favor.
there is no hope for someone to just flat out claim that the Maxima is better cuz its all a matter of opinion

I've driven both, a GTP for a couple of monthes and I own a 5spd Maxima, and I truly liked the GTP but I dont own one cuz its not 5spd, its as simple as that, but its still a great car and we had no problems with it, and people I know have had no problems whatsoever with them
peace
-c_c30
Old 10-08-2001, 12:25 PM

Well said!

Originally posted by carnal_c30
After hearing the GTP guys out, they make my respect got GTP owners just go sky high. I already like the car and now its really cool that the owners dont have the Acura or Honda complex. They are in the most part more respectful and more 'refined' in their manners than alot of org members. They show respect for our cars and we should return them the favor.
there is no hope for someone to just flat out claim that the Maxima is better cuz its all a matter of opinion

I've driven both, a GTP for a couple of monthes and I own a 5spd Maxima, and I truly liked the GTP but I dont own one cuz its not 5spd, its as simple as that, but its still a great car and we had no problems with it, and people I know have had no problems whatsoever with them
peace
-c_c30
I also have a lot of respect for the GTP's. They are a nicer looking car than the max stock..and it looks like they are a better performer stock. I love the HUD!!! I wish Nissan could make that for the Maxima. I would have definetely got the GTP if they had a manual transmision. But....like I sid before I was looking for a car that not is not on every street corner...and that is another reason I bought the 2K max.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:18 PM

LOL!! That's a good one. My pcm is wrapped in sweatpants and zip-tied to the inner fender of my car. I had to because it usually resides in the stock airbox, and mine isn't in my car right now because I am gutting it to make it less restrictive. Thank God for clothes!

Paul
They are "lightweight" too
Old 10-08-2001, 03:17 PM

I am now dumber for readingthis entire thread!! Thank you very much, you all will be getting a call from my boss!! Are we done yet???
Old 10-08-2001, 11:22 PM
Zooomer

Originally posted by Dave B

I'm not flaming you Zoomer, but your car was getting worked over by a group of guys at all times between runs. You got pushed to the line, you were running tiny slicks, and you had quite a few runs in the 13s and 14s due to what sounded like engine problems (if I remember right). You run 12s, but let's not lead people into believing 12s come easily nor reliably in these 3.8SCs.

Dave
The reason we were wrenching on my car is that it had about 20 miles on it when we got to the track. The car got finished 3 hours before we left for KS (11hrs away)and the very 1st pass of it's life it ran 13.28. Yes I ran slicks, and yes I used race gas but when the car is tuned in it will run 12's in street trim all day long and mid 12's at the track. BTW my slowest time was a 13.7 and that was with my other GP which had some problems that got worked out by the end of the night. I ran 13.3 with it at KS, it's a lease so it's not heavily modd'd. I would have been quicker but I used my smallest SC pulley on the '97 not the '99. BTW my leased '99 ran a 12.94 (motor) 12.61 (NOS)2 weeks ago with about 2k in mods and I returned the lease about a week after that pass.

Old 10-09-2001, 06:37 AM

Guys we're beating a dead horse here!
Give up... there will always be some car that is faster out there!! And honestly does it matter what's faster a GTP or a Maxima?!?! I could think of a few more things a little more important right now! Can't we all just be friends! Just my two sense.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i'm not gonna bother reading through the 10 pages, but i will add in my share. okay, as i've noticed, a lot of you aren't realizing one simple fact. that stock GTP vs. stock Max (5spd or auto) is biased. why?? boost!! c'mon, it's pretty simple. you can take any auto 4th or 5th gen max and add ONLY the supercharger and walk on the GTP. there's no doubt about it. why don't the grand prix fans try comparing the all-natural GT to the Max? it'd be pathetic. the advantage the gtp has is that it can say it's stock with boost and that without "modifying" our max, we don't have boost. that's it!

for the record, i have raced a GTP. it was a stock '99. i have a '98 auto and only intake/y-pipe/exhaust mods (at the time). we raced through a "make-shift" quarter-mile distance and yes, he did win. how'd it go? he pulled hard on the start, maybe car length, but i was already at his rear bumper and gaining hard by the time we finished. my car once again isn't boosted and is an automatic. add that 6 lbs of stillen boost to equal his s/c and then (even without my intake/exhaust mods) let's see how that race woulda ended up...
Old 10-09-2001, 07:02 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 10-09-2001, 07:11 AM

Good morning Kev!! So what's your take on this little arguement??
Old 10-09-2001, 07:25 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Dustyroads

Good morning Kev!! So what's your take on this little arguement??
Good morning! You want my take? Honda rules!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2001, 09:26 AM

hrmm i see you have included 5 images and it lets your post.
Mine won't let me
Old 10-09-2001, 09:31 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by yongjun
hrmm i see you have included 5 images and it lets your post.
Mine won't let me
Me? My sig contains 2 images... the smilie and the collage.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:59 PM

I can't take it anymore

Kill this thread. It is going nowhere. To each his own. I have a 93 Toyta Camry 3.0L with 150,000 and love the old bastard. It is just getting old and I wanted to check out the 2002 Maxima. A man's will do anything to prevent hurting his ego. So, if he has a slower car, he will say something else to make it better. We need to admit that each car has it's star qualities, and that you like your car because it is right for you. I am not even going to keep going because this thread is not worth it. My camry would lose to all of you.
Old 10-09-2001, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by JDM4LIFE
i'm not gonna bother reading through the 10 pages, but i will add in my share. okay, as i've noticed, a lot of you aren't realizing one simple fact. that stock GTP vs. stock Max (5spd or auto) is biased. why?? boost!! c'mon, it's pretty simple. you can take any auto 4th or 5th gen max and add ONLY the supercharger and walk on the GTP. there's no doubt about it. why don't the grand prix fans try comparing the all-natural GT to the Max? it'd be pathetic. the advantage the gtp has is that it can say it's stock with boost and that without "modifying" our max, we don't have boost. that's it!

for the record, i have raced a GTP. it was a stock '99. i have a '98 auto and only intake/y-pipe/exhaust mods (at the time). we raced through a "make-shift" quarter-mile distance and yes, he did win. how'd it go? he pulled hard on the start, maybe car length, but i was already at his rear bumper and gaining hard by the time we finished. my car once again isn't boosted and is an automatic. add that 6 lbs of stillen boost to equal his s/c and then (even without my intake/exhaust mods) let's see how that race woulda ended up...
Did you read the title of the thread? Nobody was talking about N/A GPs.
Old 10-09-2001, 02:09 PM

MODERATOR!!!!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LOCK THIS THREAD DOWN!!!!
Old 10-09-2001, 02:14 PM

I like salty pork rinds
Old 10-09-2001, 02:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Did you read the title of the thread? Nobody was talking about N/A GPs.
yeah, in case you didn't notice, you should read my post again. maybe you'll get my point this time around.
Old 10-09-2001, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

wellll soooooo the Ferrari F360 shouldnt be compared to the Porsche 911 turbo because the 911 is turbo?

the Mercedes Benz C32 AMG sucks because it has to have an SC to run against the M3?

the price plays more of a role, I wish I could get an SC Maxima for 24Gs

oh by the way, I like spam, pork rinds arent my style