5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got It Back !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 01:57 PM

Got It Back !!!!!

GAWD DAYUM!

I've been driving around a POS '98 Sentra for the last month....Why you ask?

Well, here's the story:

I was driving my sister to move into her dorm in Philly (UPenn) for her freshman year (her first year away from home). She had so much SHIZNAT that I needed to ask my girlfriend to help out and take another car. She just got a new 2000 Mazda Protege (AWESOME transmission/handling) and she's paying for the whole the whole thing by herself.

This was actually my first time driving to Philly and didn't quite know what to expect. We had just minutes ago crossed the Ben Franklin Bridge from Jersey to Penn and were looking for an exit.

I saw the sign for the exit and it was a right lane exit; me and my girlfriend were both driving in the center lane and started to move over to make the exit. Well, as it turns out, there was a bridge ahead which had a pretty steep arc...I came over the arc doing 40-50 and saw all the traffic STOPPED at that exit. I slam on my brakes and the ABS kicks in. I hear my tires squeal as I come within INCHES of slamming into the guy in front of me. Almost instantly, I look back to see if my girlfriend could stop in time...I was totally calm, even though there was a SLIGHT chance she couldn't stop in time.

I look back and see her car approaching FAST...I was thinking, no PRAYING to myself, "PLEASE, PLEASE GOD LET HER STOP". Whew...it was a close call, she was able to stop in time, but she had kinda moved onto the shoulder just in case. I look back at her and I see her giving a shrug like "WTF!?!?". Then it happens.....I can still remember the feeling....you know these things happen, but you NEVER think they will happen to YOU....

SCCCRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEE!!!!BAM!!!!

The next thing I know, my girlfriend's brand new Mazda Protege is rolling next to me on the shoulder. I look over and she's okay, thank GOD, she's crying hysterically. Her car was pushed the ENTIRE length of my car by the impact and she ended up RIGHT NEXT to me...two inches away from the passenger side...

I wasn't even concerned about my car at this time, I knew my girlfriend was okay...I cautiously opened my door to check on the driver of the other car...a tan '92 Honda Accord...TOTALLED...fluids, oils, gas dripping EVERYWHERE onto the freeway...traffic flying by...people giving us looks.

I approach the driver to see if he is okay...he had walked out of the car holding his neck. For a moment I was worried that we might have casualties judging by the force of the impact. Seconds later, I mean seconds, an emergency vehicle (the road construction ones with the big arrows) was behind us with it's lights on to divert traffic on the freeway....a cop shows up.

The driver of the other car tries to blame me and my girlfriend...un uh mister, we both came to a COMPLETE STOP. A cop shows up, literally tells the man to SHUT THE HELL UP, cuz he was trying to blame this on US....my girlfriend is crying HYSTERICALLY....my sister is sobbing in the car....what a first day.

Once everything became relatively calm, I started looking at my baby... the rear right side bumper was hanging off my car, my BRAND NEW clear corner marker had luckily been spared (it got ripped off but not destroyed), my rear right door was jammed shut, and my trunk wouldn't close....sad. My girlfriend had tried to avoid me as much as she could...we were on a bridge and she didn't have much of a choice. The Mazda...FUCT UP! Her rear end suffered MASSIVE DAMAGE! Her bumber was destroyed, her muffler was crimped shut like a ball of paper, her front left was gone, her rear door chipped the paint on the car cuz the frame was pushed foward so far.

Well, after the trooper showed up and all that business was finished, we had to tow my girlfriend's car to my sister's campus right in the heart of downtown Philly...what a sight! A flatbed hauling a Mazda followed by me in my banged up, but drivable Max, followed my another Big AZZ Ford F-series (the one with 6 wheels), and another flatbed. We pulled into the narrow streets of Philly and had to stop traffic while we unloaded all of my sister's stuff from the Mazda and my Max....what a day....what a first day of college!

We both left our cars there in the care of Collex...excellent fellas...I picked it up today. I can't remember the last time I felt such joy. Car looks brand new!

So that's the end of my story...let the modding continue!

And just for the record, I'll take NYC streets over Philly streets ANYDAY!
Old 10-06-2001, 02:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All I have to say is: DAMN!
Old 10-06-2001, 02:58 PM

Damn man, sorry to hear about that. I could almost picture it in my head from your description. Glad to hear everyone was ok. Did the other driver get a ticket?
Old 10-06-2001, 03:24 PM
Got Bent?

wow... glad to hear no one was hurt......

now, on to some mods......
Old 10-06-2001, 06:49 PM

....? But what about your GF