5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Hi/Lo Beam fix yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 08:09 PM

2K2 Hi/Lo Beam fix yet?

Put my 2K2 headlights in today and i was wondering if you guys figured out how to fix that problem with turning the xenon's off when you hit the high beams? Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:50 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I think

yo_its_ok's idea with the diode will do what you want.
Old 10-06-2001, 09:13 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: 2K2 Hi/Lo Beam fix yet?

Originally posted by maxse01
Put my 2K2 headlights in today and i was wondering if you guys figured out how to fix that problem with turning the xenon's off when you hit the high beams? Just wondering. Thanks.
I don't have that problem. Check the Sticky How-To Thread for directions.
Old 10-06-2001, 09:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: 2K2 Hi/Lo Beam fix yet?

Originally posted by IceY2K1

I don't have that problem. Check the Sticky How-To Thread for directions.
What wiring plan did you go with? Cause if you went with ICEs plan you cant have the problem. If you went with my Wiring plan, then all you gotta do is GROUND the Ground wire from the Xenon Plug. Simple.

Just look at my Writeup, the picture shows what needs to be done, The writeup may be off due to the fact I cant access the server since it is down.

Dixit
Old 10-07-2001, 09:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: 2K2 Hi/Lo Beam fix yet?

ok, thanks guys. I'll have some pics up soon.
Old 10-07-2001, 11:05 PM

not to sound like a lemming, but what about the flickering problem of the indicator lamp? i know alex had a theoretical wiring plan utilizing relays, but has it been done? i have the relays and all sitting in my room and the clip for the headlights are gonna get picked up tomorrow =D

thanx in advanced.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mingo
not to sound like a lemming, but what about the flickering problem of the indicator lamp? i know alex had a theoretical wiring plan utilizing relays, but has it been done? i have the relays and all sitting in my room and the clip for the headlights are gonna get picked up tomorrow =D

thanx in advanced.
Are you having this flicker problem with the high beam indicator? Cause I heard him talking about it but I dont have that problem.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Are you having this flicker problem with the high beam indicator? Cause I heard him talking about it but I dont have that problem.
kevin has the prob, i dont' yet because my headlights are also sitting in my room alongside with the relays. still waiting for someone to make some clear headlight covers for them. the 2k and 2k1 headlight covers won't work, the 2k2 is a lil bulgier on the sides.. i tried dry fitting my smoked covers on and it didn't fit.
Old 10-08-2001, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by mingo

thanx in advanced.
Yes, serin used the relays and he didn't report anything fishy.

The relay setup(v2.0) will work fine. After I go to the dealer and I reinstall everything I will add the relays for sure. Trust me, they will work fine.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:12 AM

?

is there a write up on using relays yet?
Old 10-08-2001, 11:32 AM

Re: ?

Originally posted by TimW
is there a write up on using relays yet?
The schematics are on my website. A couple extra connections is all it takes.

Basically, mount the relays as close to the battery as possible. Supply power and ground to the correct terminals. The H4 plug Terminal #1 opens/closes the relay for the High beams.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:46 AM

Yes, serin used the relays and he didn't report anything fishy.

The relay setup(v2.0) will work fine. After I go to the dealer and I reinstall everything I will add the relays for sure. Trust me, they will work fine.
cool, thanx for the reassurance. i'll get to it soon.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:46 AM

is it the HIDs or the H4's

causing the flashing light? I thought it was feedback/bleed from the ballasts.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:02 PM

hrm... i guess i'll be using both diodes and relays to be safe then. can'te ver be too careful
Old 10-08-2001, 12:12 PM

Re: is it the HIDs or the H4's

causing the flashing light? I thought it was feedback/bleed from the ballasts.
Neither. It's the Combination Switch.

On one side of the High-beam indicator you have BATTERY and on the other side you have the combo switch. When I originally thought of this setup I ASSUMED the combo switch would be OPEN. However, they're is apparently some resistance in the switch or something else providing a slight path to ground, thus causing the faint blinking.

The relays will eliminate the combo switch as a path to ground, thus eliminating the indicator blinking. You won't need diodes.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:30 PM

coo.... thanks...

say.. any reason you wouldnt put both headlights on one (beefy) relay? (+12v switched, grounded at each light).
Old 10-08-2001, 02:38 PM

Re: coo.... thanks...

say.. any reason you wouldnt put both headlights on one (beefy) relay? (+12v switched, grounded at each light).
No reason you can't run BOTH Hi-beams off one relay. I'd just like to have maximum power available to each(series not parallel), especially once I get the Xtreme white 9005s. A little overkill maybe. One relay should handle both NO problem.

Again, there are SEVERAL ways to wire this system. I just chose one and ran with it. You guys might combine parts of Dixits' install with mine or maybe go with Hogans'. You guys have the advantage of knowing several ways to do this, so use what's best for you.

I'm not even done yet. I still have to add relays and I'm adding a 7-fuse block that combines with 3-4 relays, so I can power the HIDs, Hella Horns, and more later on. This setup is definitely going to evolve over time. Please keep the feedback coming though on my installation directions.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:46 PM

yeah yeah.. I know...

and as one of the few people who've done the install (and have the FSM), I really appreciate your insight. At this point, I'm trying to make my install as clean as possible and eliminate any chance of losing my lights at speed on a desolate highway no really, just plan on taking a very conservative approach, even as bad I want to hook them up. As much as the lights are (to buy AND to replace) I want to save them from any possible power problems and not have any reliability issues. Long story short, me = wuss..

you and Jonx are like the John Appleseeds of 2k2 HIDs
Old 10-08-2001, 02:56 PM

I have a question about the wiring. Will the stock wiring be able to handle both the Hi and Lo beam being on at the same time? I don't want to be melting the harness and the wirings. It just seems like it would put tremendous power through the wires.
Old 10-08-2001, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by nizmomx
I have a question about the wiring. Will the stock wiring be able to handle both the Hi and Lo beam being on at the same time? I don't want to be melting the harness and the wirings. It just seems like it would put tremendous power through the wires.
There is MINIMAL chance of power handling problems, because I have LESS power than stock running over the stock harness.
Old 10-08-2001, 03:50 PM

Re: ..

There is MINIMAL chance of power handling problems, because I have LESS power than stock running over the stock harness.
Anyone know what the wiring harness's are like on the 2K2 maxima? If they're the same as ours, then we prob. wouldn't have any problems. And I definately agree with TimW that I'm a wuss about doing all this. I don't want to ruin the lights or fry anything else. The easier the install, the better for me.
Old 10-08-2001, 04:17 PM

Re: Re: ..

Originally posted by Keh mon

Anyone know what the wiring harness's are like on the 2K2 maxima? If they're the same as ours, then we prob. wouldn't have any problems. And I definately agree with TimW that I'm a wuss about doing all this. I don't want to ruin the lights or fry anything else. The easier the install, the better for me.
Harnesses on the 2002 are different. HID low beam and 9005 high beam each have their own feed and own fuse in the under-hood fuse/fuselink box. In addition to the fuses in a 2001 (fuses #68&69), the 2002 also add fuses in spaces #54 & 55. When assessing how large a load is, keep some basic electrical formulas in mind. Watts = volts X amps is useful or Amps = watts / volts (Ex. a 60 watt high beam draws 60/12volts = 5 amps. One Hella #87106 relay rated at 30 amps DC can easily switch two 60 watt lamps (5+5=10 amp load) with a safety factor of three. Also keep in mind fuses are sized to protect the wire from overload, not protect the device. Make sure wire gauges are adequate and fuses are sized properly.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: ..

Originally posted by 2maxguy

Harnesses on the 2002 are different. HID low beam and 9005 high beam each have their own feed and own fuse in the under-hood fuse/fuselink box. In addition to the fuses in a 2001 (fuses #68&69), the 2002 also add fuses in spaces #54 & 55. When assessing how large a load is, keep some basic electrical formulas in mind. Watts = volts X amps is useful or Amps = watts / volts (Ex. a 60 watt high beam draws 60/12volts = 5 amps. One Hella #87106 relay rated at 30 amps DC can easily switch two 60 watt lamps (5+5=10 amp load) with a safety factor of three. Also keep in mind fuses are sized to protect the wire from overload, not protect the device. Make sure wire gauges are adequate and fuses are sized properly.
Maybe I'm not completely understanding, but would that mean that if we just used everything from the fusebox to the lights from a 2k2 on our 2k or 2k1, then it would work? I haven't had a chance to see if the fuse box's are the same and they just added fuses in those locations, or if the fuse boxes are completely different, if they are, maybe the 2k2 fusebox would work as long as the non-headlight related stuff is the same.