5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 SE Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 12:35 PM

2002 SE Issues

What's up folks? I'm new to posting on this forum but have been lurking for about six months (while I waited to get my new car!). Anyway, a couple of observations I've made with the 2002 SE Maxima.
  • Heated Steering Wheel: When I turn on the heat to my steering wheel, I've noticed the heating element is turned off after about 5 minutes. I've read posts about the heated seats utilizing a thermometer while on the 'high' setting to regulate the seat temperature. I've not had occasion to drive my car for an extended period with the heat on yet. Does the steering wheel also have a thermometer to keep the temperature at a certain level? If so, does anyone know what that temperature might be?
  • Speed Sensitive Volume: I've been able to "break" this feature on the Bose premium sound system with consistency. If you drive at highway speed while listening to a CD and either skip to the next or previous track, the volume control resets itself to the "stand still" low volume setting. If you leave it be, the volume will eventually (and suddenly) increase to highway level. You can manually re-engage the speed sensitive volume by adjusting the volume right after you've made the track change. This to me is a big annoyance because of the sudden variances in volume. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Another quick question. I've read some different things on wheel care, etc. I was thinking of applying some glaze to my stock SE wheels for winter protection, if it is appropriate. Has anyone else done this (I have Klasse All-in-one & sealant glaze), and if so, were you pleased with the results?

TIA,
Kerr
Old 10-12-2001, 12:42 PM
Got Bent?

welcome to the board

i don't know about the first two issues, but about the rims:

I clean mine with soap and water only. I use wax on them and it makes cleaning really easy. Just be sure not to use anything harsh and they will be fine
Old 10-12-2001, 12:49 PM

Heating sterring wheel- I have no idea

Speed Sensitve Volume- I cann't imagine why it would be much use on a Maxima... they are very quite cars. The one on my Corvette helps, b/c of much more road noise and the loud sound of my aftermarket exhaust.

Wheels- Keep them waxed good with standard type wax. Try to use car soap or such to keep from stripping the wax while cleaning. If you use a harsh wheel cleaner, you must re-wax. Probably a good idea to wax wheels once or twice a month, it will protect them and make cleaning much easier.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:49 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: 2002 SE Issues

Originally posted by haylo75
  • Speed Sensitive Volume: I've been able to "break" this feature on the Bose premium sound system with consistency. If you drive at highway speed while listening to a CD and either skip to the next or previous track, the volume control resets itself to the "stand still" low volume setting. If you leave it be, the volume will eventually (and suddenly) increase to highway level. You can manually re-engage the speed sensitive volume by adjusting the volume right after you've made the track change. This to me is a big annoyance because of the sudden variances in volume. Has anyone experienced this issue?

I just read sometime today someone having the same problem as you stated. Seems to be a "feature" Welcome and many happy returns!
Old 10-12-2001, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by c5hardtop
Heating sterring wheel- I have no idea

Speed Sensitve Volume- I cann't imagine why it would be much use on a Maxima... they are very quite cars. The one on my Corvette helps, b/c of much more road noise and the loud sound of my aftermarket exhaust.

Wheels- Keep them waxed good with standard type wax. Try to use car soap or such to keep from stripping the wax while cleaning. If you use a harsh wheel cleaner, you must re-wax. Probably a good idea to wax wheels once or twice a month, it will protect them and make cleaning much easier.
I agree, the feature is annoying to me because the increase in volume is definitely higher than the increase in road noise when getting up to speed in the Maxima. Oh well, the stereo will be coming out soon anyway.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:22 PM
Very sound, Mike

Hmm.. i have the 2k2 SE but haven't encountered that problem. You do have the option to specify the level of sensitivity (and thus volume) of the radio. I set mine to "High" and from what i observed the radio doesn't go up until i hit 80mph. Since that's pretty much the speed that i can't hear the radio as much anymore i decided to stick to that setting.

Oh btw, i don't have the Bose radio so i don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
Hmm.. i have the 2k2 SE but haven't encountered that problem. You do have the option to specify the level of sensitivity (and thus volume) of the radio. I set mine to "High" and from what i observed the radio doesn't go up until i hit 80mph. Since that's pretty much the speed that i can't hear the radio as much anymore i decided to stick to that setting.

Oh btw, i don't have the Bose radio so i don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Don't know about the first issue, I have a 2K, congrats on the 2K2.

For the wheels:
I use Meguiars hot rims, then a little wax after each cleaning.