5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Flashing airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:12 PM

Flashing airbag light

Alright, so today I swapped out my tan seatbelts for some black seatbelts to match my leather. I plugged everything back into the tensioner mechanism, put everything back in place, started the car and there goes a flashing airbag light. I've tried resetting the airbag light (by pressing the DDS, etc) with no luck. Anyone know what it could be? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by philzaga
Alright, so today I swapped out my tan seatbelts for some black seatbelts to match my leather. I plugged everything back into the tensioner mechanism, put everything back in place, started the car and there goes a flashing airbag light. I've tried resetting the airbag light (by pressing the DDS, etc) with no luck. Anyone know what it could be? Thanks.
this works for 2k2 idk about 2k

you can pull the codes out and clear codes using the airbag light and ign key
1- turn ign on (dont start engine)
2- when the airbag light shuts off (after 7 seconds) turn ign off within 1 second
3- wait at least 3 seconds (count to 4)
4- repeat steps 1 - 3 two more times (3 times total)

when you turn the ign switch back to on after the last 3 seconds in "off" the airbag light will go out in about 7 seconds and then start flashing your diagnostic code(s)

hopefully you just have to reset it
after the 7seconds of being on it goes out for 2 seconds back on for 3 secs and repeats off 2, on3, infinitely, it just needs to be reset (scroll down a bit)

if its any other pattern try to write it down and post it
theres 2 other ways it will look
a long flash (3 secs) followed a series of very short flashes followed by a long flash (long flashes indicate start and end of code, short flashes indicate malfunctioning part)
also
after 7 on, 2 long flashes (1.5 secs each with a .5 sec between them then a 2 second pause) followed by a series of short flashes followed by the 2 longer flashes again (same idea as above)

to exit diagnostic mode turn the key to off for more than 1 second (count to 2) and turn it back on
this switches the system back into normal operation (user mode) and clears the codes stored
the light will light up for 7 seconds and will shut off if no malfunctions are found
if not post your results

DO NOT TRY TO FIX IT YOURSELF
the airbag can break your neck
use this to get an idea of how much it will cost to get fixed or hopefully just reset and forget

use this info at your own risk

Last edited by justinny; 09-20-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:48 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Can the airbag light be reset with an OBD scanner?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by justinny
this works for 2k2 idk about 2k

you can pull the codes out and clear codes using the airbag light and ign key
1- turn ign on (dont start engine)
2- when the airbag light shuts off (after 7 seconds) turn ign off within 1 second
3- wait at least 3 seconds (count to 4)
4- repeat steps 1 - 3 two more times (3 times total)

when you turn the ign switch back to on after the last 3 seconds in "off" the airbag light will go out in about 7 seconds and then start flashing your diagnostic code(s)

hopefully you just have to reset it
after the 7seconds of being on it goes out for 2 seconds back on for 3 secs and repeats off 2, on3, infinitely, it just needs to be reset (scroll down a bit)

if its any other pattern try to write it down and post it
theres 2 other ways it will look
a long flash (3 secs) followed a series of very short flashes followed by a long flash (long flashes indicate start and end of code, short flashes indicate malfunctioning part)
also
after 7 on, 2 long flashes (1.5 secs each with a .5 sec between them then a 2 second pause) followed by a series of short flashes followed by the 2 longer flashes again (same idea as above)

to exit diagnostic mode turn the key to off for more than 1 second (count to 2) and turn it back on
this switches the system back into normal operation (user mode) and clears the codes stored
the light will light up for 7 seconds and will shut off if no malfunctions are found
if not post your results

DO NOT TRY TO FIX IT YOURSELF
the airbag can break your neck
use this to get an idea of how much it will cost to get fixed or hopefully just reset and forget

use this info at your own risk
This reset the light. Thanks for the help bro.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM

no problem, anytime
generic scanners cannot
i believe only consult II or the the very high priced snap on or matco tools can ($2000 and up)
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Toolie

or autoenginuity
Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 AM

I am getting a long flash, 2 short flashes, then 8 short flashes then 6 short flashes. Any clue what this means?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:27 AM

also is there a way to just disable the srs system for now? Ide rather it be unplugged then possibly malfunctioning.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 PM

^^How many times have you reset it?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM

a few times, was hard to get the timing right but it used ot just flash constantly, now its always flashing that code.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Matt6speed
a few times, was hard to get the timing right but it used ot just flash constantly, now its always flashing that code.
so if its come back after you reset it, then go get it checked out....i know Nissan replaced my tensioners for no charge, and waived the Diag fee....

its a shot in the dark, but i guess in the process you'll find out what component is at fault
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 PM

well kind of. It didnt go away, it jsut changed form a constant regular flashing to a code. Does anyone know if there is a fuse or something i can pull to disable it for now?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:56 PM

anyone know what that code means?
Old 09-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Long Flash followed by two short flashes then long flash

Gents,

Performed this procedure as read above and I have the following diagnostic code for my air bag light:

One long flash (start of sequence)

two short flashes (sequence)

One long flash (end of sequence/start of sequence)

Anyone previously out there with a similar diagnostic that knows what the problem is?

Since I know people will see my post count and immediately become enraged out a common topic, I have used search and found a lot of useful information, but this specific question remains unanswered.

If no one knows, I'll fork out the 100 bucks for the dealership to read code and I'll post my own answer.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by awolfinwater; 09-21-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:13 AM

here you go IT worked for me and many others.click here
Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by danger300z
here you go IT worked for me and many others.click here
Thanks for the help. I used that procedure to enter diagnostic mode.

I definitely have a problem with the SRS system, I am trying to determine what part of the SRS system is throwing a fault.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:00 AM

my airbag light started flashing after i replugged my battery cable.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 AM

My airbag light was flashing. So i tried the airbag light reset. Now the airbag flashes at a slower time interval than before. Does anybody know what that means?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 AM

subscribing,

can't get mine to turn off, just came on one day at random...

post what the shops tell you if you end up going folks...

J
Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by awolfinwater
Gents,

Performed this procedure as read above and I have the following diagnostic code for my air bag light:

One long flash (start of sequence)

One long flash (end of sequence/start of sequence)

Anyone previously out there with a similar diagnostic that knows what the problem is?

Since I know people will see my post count and immediately become enraged out a common topic, I have used search and found a lot of useful information, but this specific question remains unanswered.

If no one knows, I'll fork out the 100 bucks for the dealership to read code and I'll post my own answer.

Thanks guys.

Hi, I have the same issue as above. does anyone know what this means? 1 long , 2 short, 2 short, 1 long.
thanks in advance.

Last edited by neverendingz; 12-15-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM

Well I went to the Nissan Stealership and they informed me it would $1228(plus NY tax) to fix this flashing light issue. They will have to replace the "Airbag Control module" which they say is $900 and the "Clockspring" on the steering wheel for $25. Does anyone know if this is legit enough to do?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by neverendingz
Well I went to the Nissan Stealership and they informed me it would $1228(plus NY tax) to fix this flashing light issue. They will have to replace the "Airbag Control module" which they say is $900 and the "Clockspring" on the steering wheel for $25. Does anyone know if this is legit enough to do?

mine has been coming on and off for over a year.....I RESET IT EVERY SINGLE TIME...last time i took it to the stealer, they replaced my "tensioner" on the drivers side FOR FREE.......if mine is infact the ACM, and the clockspring....ill just live with it until RESETTING it stops working and the short has gone to a point wheres just NOT working all together, then ill pay to get it fixed
Old 12-16-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
mine has been coming on and off for over a year.....I RESET IT EVERY SINGLE TIME...last time i took it to the stealer, they replaced my "tensioner" on the drivers side FOR FREE.......if mine is infact the ACM, and the clockspring....ill just live with it until RESETTING it stops working and the short has gone to a point wheres just NOT working all together, then ill pay to get it fixed
Hi, how exactly did you fix this issue? I have tried all of the methods from these forums I could have. I want to give it 1 more shot tomorrow if you can let me know what you did to fix this. I got 1 of them to work but as soon as I shut my car off and turned it back on it came back... any help on this would be EXTREMELY helpful. I do have a 2001 Maxima if that means anything.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Anyone tried plugging a resistor into this sensor
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 PM

Not a good idea to screw around with them. Airbags are a tricky thing to work with. If nissan says you need a new control module then yea i would think you should trust them. Also its a federal offence to disable airbags. I hate them. Darn things are scary as hell when they deploy....i have seen a few set off and holy crap...Sometimes i wish i could disable mine. Also the module will hold power for a short time after you disconnect the battery incase the battery gets damaged in the crash. So you may unplug the battery and think your ok when your really not.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:10 PM

my friends maxima has the same issue he just leaves it alone and doesnt really wanna mess with it.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:16 AM

going to give this shot as we speak, dealer reset it once already...
Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 AM

The door opening and shutting worked for me that Danger300z posted but you don't actually have to open and shut the door just work the door switch.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I recently replaced my starter (disconnected the battery). A few days later and a couple of hundred miles the light started flashing.
I also had a couple of codes that appeared, I checked w/ my scanner P0100 & P1165, looks like MAF. I reset them thinking this had to do w/ disconnecting the battery and changing the starter.
I performed the steps mentioned earlier in this string on reseting the air bag light, code that I got was long, long, long, long, etc. that is it. I tried it again thinking I didn't do the steps properly and got the same thing. I waited a few minutes, started my car and the light was off.
Not sure if this helps, but that was my experience.

Last edited by jdeak99; 09-09-2011 at 10:33 AM.