5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can anyone here get an accurate oil level reading?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can anyone here get an accurate oil level reading?

After years of annoyance, I'm just curious if any of you can get an accurate oil level from the dipstick.

I use the procedure outlined in the manual - operating temp and then cool down - and yet, for both my 96 and my 2k, figuring out the oil level is like reading bones.

I get an oil dipstick with oil all over it, on one side only, etc - and maybe just maybe I can decipher the oil level after pulling it several times.

Is it me? Is it possible I can change my clutch - but yet not know how to check the oil.

Please make me feel like a fool and tell me how to do it.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Pointy Elbows

I have no problems as long as the engine is cold.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:21 AM

You check your Oil??

I just wait till i see this...

Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

That light indicates oil pressure, not level.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
That light indicates oil pressure, not level.

No one can ever make a joke arond here huh...
Old 11-12-2007, 11:02 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by HotMaxx02
No one can ever make a joke arond here huh...
Not while I'm around.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Me too

I just purchased a 2002 Maxima the weekend before last, I felt pretty stupid too not being able to check the oil. I read the manual and it said to wait 10 minutes after the engine has been running to check it. That seemed to help a little. But like you said, one side of the dipstick shows oil all the up and the other side looks like I'm about a 1/2 quart low. Since I just got the car I don't know which side to believe. Either the previous owner really over filled it or I just purchase a Maxima that burns oil. I hope thats not the case. I was really hoping after I did the oil change myself I would be able to read that dipstick better. Sounds like that may not be the case though. Keep us posted if you figure something out.

Maybe we should have all purchased new BMWs, they don't even have dipsticks any more (according to Car and Driver). Just an idiot light. Sounds like the stupidest things I ever heard of.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:45 PM

sounds like the best thing i ever heard of...
Old 11-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by sublunary
sounds like the best thing i ever heard of...
I guess I just don't rust electronics enough. I like to pull the dipstick every once in awhile to make sure things look and smell ok. But then again I do trust the gas gauge so maybe it wouldn't be all bad.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM

i just say that because i have always been frustrated with trying to read the dip on my '92 and its just as hard to get an accurate reading on the '01
Old 11-12-2007, 01:54 PM

It definitely takes a few tries for me. Something on one side.. not much on the other. Its a cluter-f*&k! The damn thing burns oil for sure though, so I know what I need to do!!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by '02_EMILBUS
It definitely takes a few tries for me. Something on one side.. not much on the other. Its a cluter-f*&k! The damn thing burns oil for sure though, so I know what I need to do!!
So how common is it for Maximas to burn oil and how much is typical?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:01 PM

let the car sit for 30 mins... you'll get an accurate reading
Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM

Flat surface + overnight = best reading.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by nk2k2
I'm not sure that's accurate. But hey, what do I know anyway . . ..
Old 11-12-2007, 02:34 PM
absoundlab

correct me if im wrong but does the oil light come at when it reads 5 psi or less?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

+1 That's the best way to do it.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Accurate reading? You can EASILY get that 30 mins after shut-off. but consistant readings? hell no, esp. not with the vq35 dipstick. Every morning my oil level will be in different places, some higher, some lower. And yes, its checked the same way all the time on the same level surface.

I will assume the oil filter holds different amounts of oil each time and thats why the readings are so inconsistant. Keep in mind when you check your level 30 min after shut-off it will be slightly higher than compared to letting the car sit overnight and checking it. The reason is simple: oil expands when its hot.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
After years of annoyance, I'm just curious if any of you can get an accurate oil level from the dipstick.

I use the procedure outlined in the manual - operating temp and then cool down - and yet, for both my 96 and my 2k, figuring out the oil level is like reading bones.

I get an oil dipstick with oil all over it, on one side only, etc - and maybe just maybe I can decipher the oil level after pulling it several times.

Is it me? Is it possible I can change my clutch - but yet not know how to check the oil.

Please make me feel like a fool and tell me how to do it.

Thanks.
i figured mine out a little bit after i got the car... what i do is make sure that the dipstick is in the correct way (in the 2k engine the yellow finger hole is facing up towards the sky, and not out in front of the car) then take it out and turn it around to the side where the H/L indicator is, and the oil on that side is your accurate level... on the other side, it's all over the place and i have yet to figure out how the readings can be so massively different on both sides of the dipstick, but whatever.. lol.. it works, and you can read it accurately that way
Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by wyche89
i figured mine out a little bit after i got the car... what i do is make sure that the dipstick is in the correct way (in the 2k engine the yellow finger hole is facing up towards the sky, and not out in front of the car) then take it out and turn it around to the side where the H/L indicator is, and the oil on that side is your accurate level... on the other side, it's all over the place and i have yet to figure out how the readings can be so massively different on both sides of the dipstick, but whatever.. lol.. it works, and you can read it accurately that way
Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah theres alot of cars that confuse the mess out of me with different readings on the dip stick, on the maxima its just how the dipstick is placed in the oil. its quite simple though if try it enough
Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 AM

I checked mine last night after sitting for a couple of days. I finally got an accurate reading. On one side anyway. The other side was still all messed up. I was glad to see it was full though. I was getting concerned I had purchased a Maxima that burns oil.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Old 11-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by joebangaa
Thank you for taking the time to add such valuable information to the thread.

For some of us this is new. We thought we could ask other Maxima owners for a little help. But apparently this is the wrong forum for that.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:52 PM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by Fargo
Thank you for taking the time to add such valuable information to the thread.

For some of us this is new. We thought we could ask other Maxima owners for a little help. But apparently this is the wrong forum for that.
He's saying this topic has been discussed before.... thats all. Look, it took me 12 seconds to prove his point. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=394952
Old 11-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle00
He's saying this topic has been discussed before.... thats all. Look, it took me 12 seconds to prove his point. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=394952
Yeah, I know. Its been a bad day. But I'm new here and I've found that the forum can be a bit hostile to newbies. It seems unless you are trying to rice out your Maxima or add unneeded bling your questions aren't important. I was just trying to point out that some of us have just purchased Maximas and don't know everything about them. We never have seen this topic come up before because we've never been at the forum before. We just would like some help with the little things. It doesn't seem like we should be told were beating a subject to death when its the first time its come up for us.

Part of the problem is that the search feature is pretty limited, unless you are a supporting member, all you can do is a google search within the forum. This gives a lot if irrelevant searches that you have to sift through. Its not much help. So after a couple of hours of reading useless threads a new thread is posted. It just seems that if the poster couldn't give some useful advice why bother posting. I will say no more as now I am posting a useless post.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:17 PM
WSH for teh cup

Yeah, I know. Its been a bad day. But I'm new here and I've found that the forum can be a bit hostile to newbies. It seems unless you are trying to rice out your Maxima or add unneeded bling your questions aren't important. I was just trying to point out that some of us have just purchased Maximas and don't know everything about them. We never have seen this topic come up before because we've never been at the forum before. We just would like some help with the little things. It doesn't seem like we should be told were beating a subject to death when its the first time its come up for us.

Part of the problem is that the search feature is pretty limited, unless you are a supporting member, all you can do is a google search within the forum. This gives a lot if irrelevant searches that you have to sift through. Its not much help. So after a couple of hours of reading useless threads a new thread is posted. It just seems that if the poster couldn't give some useful advice why bother posting. I will say no more as now I am posting a useless post.
It looks like you know what you should do then. Donate only 20 dollars and you can reap from the benefits. The info is out there. Back on topic....
Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 AM

Leave your car overnight, check it in the morning. Make sure to take a few readings, they should be pretty consistent. This procedure can be performed on virtually any vehicle with a dipstick. We're not doing rocket science...
Old 11-14-2007, 07:56 PM

my dipstick is bent...I have never seen these for sale as replacements. Would the Nissan dealer normally have them in stock being that its not really a part that is replaced?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
my dipstick is bent...I have never seen these for sale as replacements. Would the Nissan dealer normally have them in stock being that its not really a part that is replaced?
My stick is also bent . I mean dipstick...
Old 11-14-2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
i got a dipstick for a chrysler at a dodge dealer, so im assuming nissan would have them too
Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by absoundlab
correct me if im wrong but does the oil light come at when it reads 5 psi or less?
KA24DE motor has 75-85psi oil pressure.

I hope you don't run on 5psi.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by ZIPPIN
My stick is also bent . I mean dipstick...
That's good to know, Jay.