5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Remote starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 10:23 PM

Remote starter?

The winter is coming and I start thinking . I have an idea to add remote start feature to the stock remote system. The objective is to start the car remotely by the stock remote with double press on the closing button, for instance, and shut it down by single press afterwards. To do that I'd need to employ my EE experience and to sneak around Smart Entrance Control Unit and ECU with oscilloscope to pick up neccessary signals for custom made circuit, I believe. I'd appreciate if somebody show me the clean way to remove central console to get access to thouse units. If somebody knows about any possible problems along the way - I'd really appreciate any kind of info.

Mike.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mike,

This aint as easy as it looks, I mean you need to get around "FIRST" the freagin Coded key problem. Now Viper offers a 555U module that allows you to bypass that issue. There is no way you gonna get around that without some type of module to bypass it. Or you can go ghetto style and take the 'chip' out of the key and just tape it permanently near the steering lock. Which I seen a couple people do.

As far as you trying to use your stock remote, that aint gonna happen either. When you press the close button, it is the same as if you press it once, twice, thrice, etc..... It gives the same signal everytime, there is no way to differentiate that signal. I mean it can "POSSIBLY" be done with you making some type of custom circuity that knows that is 'close' button is pressed twice within say 2secs, then it will send a signal to the remote starter. That aint something I can help you with, you definetely talking some high tech electronics stuff there with IC chips and what not that I dont have a clue to help you on.

I think it would be much easier if you just disabled the stock alarm and installed a nicer Viper 550esp or similar remote start alarm.

Dixit
Old 10-25-2001, 03:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Mike,

This aint as easy as it looks, I mean you need to get around "FIRST" the freagin Coded key problem. Now Viper offers a 555U module that allows you to bypass that issue. There is no way you gonna get around that without some type of module to bypass it. Or you can go ghetto style and take the 'chip' out of the key and just tape it permanently near the steering lock. Which I seen a couple people do.

As far as you trying to use your stock remote, that aint gonna happen either. When you press the close button, it is the same as if you press it once, twice, thrice, etc..... It gives the same signal everytime, there is no way to differentiate that signal. I mean it can "POSSIBLY" be done with you making some type of custom circuity that knows that is 'close' button is pressed twice within say 2secs, then it will send a signal to the remote starter. That aint something I can help you with, you definetely talking some high tech electronics stuff there with IC chips and what not that I dont have a clue to help you on.

I think it would be much easier if you just disabled the stock alarm and installed a nicer Viper 550esp or similar remote start alarm.

Dixit
there are some people here already who have done this... i'm still interested in this mod... just for kicks... but there are some aftermarket remote starters that work with your present, stock alarm... you can ask the maker what and how you go about/around the keycode thing. i saw a 2K Galant have a remote starter and i know it's got a keycode too... keep us posted.