5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Annoying suspension noise..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008 | 12:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Annoying suspension noise..

I have maxspeeds on stock struts. I have the car loaded down cuz im driving back to my house in Lubbock for a day for a pit stop before driving to Breckenridge, CO for a ski trip. It sounds like a squeeky bird chirping almost, metal on metal, but not grinding. The sound is coming from the passenger rear wheel well area. Its weight sensitive too, because with nothing in the car its virtually not there, but with weight its almost a constant sound. Its driving me crazy and i have to get it fixed before the drive to CO. Sorry for not searching extensively. Im half way to Lubbock at my dads so i thought id start this. Im gonna put stock springs in the rear back on for the rest of the drive when i get to my house tonight, hopeflly it will fix this, but what could cause this? Could the springs be compressed so much that a coil in the spring is grinding against another one or could it be something in the strut mount assembly? I checked and the sleeves on the bottom of the springs are fine, they arent rubbing at all against the bottom. Hopefully i can figure this out.

Last edited by huffdaddy2008; 01-02-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2008 | 04:57 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

U will have to check the sleeves at the top too..... good luck
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:02 PM
大陆弟弟

You sure it's not brake squeal? As in seized caliper maybe? Or even low pads?
Old 01-03-2008 | 10:54 AM

I have the same problem and I am trying to figure it out .... initially when I replaced my suspension it helped out alot but now it's baaack
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:11 AM
--+--

I have a suspension noise on the right rear of my car also. I have maxspeed springs also. Its more of a popping noise rather than a squeak.

To the OP: I would check out the sleeves on the springs. If it sounds like metal on metal it could be the spring perch.
Old 01-03-2008 | 04:09 PM

yeah i have the same issue. it sounds like a bird chirp. i only happens when its cold out and i noticed it when i shut my door. i thought it was the hinges so i lubed them but the noise is still there. i can hear it sometime when driving over bumpy roads and its primarily from the drivers side. i havent been able to pin point the exact location.
Old 01-03-2008 | 05:37 PM

Thanks everybody for the responses. Praise the Lord! I figured it out! It was the black rubber sleeve that goes around the strut at the top, underneath the dust boot and bump stops. Im not sure what its exactly called but its a little black hard rubber piece, one sides circular which fits into the top hat and the other sides jigsawed and has indentions like teeth. It was flipped around so it was upside down and rubbin and grinding on the top hat. I could see the grinding marks and also marks of how it was supposed to be so it was an easy fix.

Its funny it took this long to happen though. I put the rear springs on about 2 weeks ago. The squeel was almost constant at highway speeds. Thanks again everybody for ur input and help. Now if i could only fix the exhaust rattle...
Old 01-04-2008 | 02:07 PM

hey huffdaddy, do you have any pictures of the part by any chance. i have the same problem so i just want to make sure i replace the right part.
Old 01-11-2008 | 11:33 AM

No permanent fix for this problem i guess...
Old 01-11-2008 | 12:37 PM

i have the same noise its insane!!!! im going insane!!!
Old 01-11-2008 | 01:34 PM

I have a somewhat similiar problem. When im turning into a driveway or something, and i go in a little fast it makes a squeeling sound. its pissing me off.
Old 01-12-2008 | 11:19 AM

The noise came back. It was gone for a few hours even with a bunch of weight in the car but it eventually came back on the drive to denver. I had to deal w/ it for 24 hours of driving! Im gonna try and fix this once i get some spare time. The noise isnt there when its just me or 1 other passenger in the car, its just there when theres a lot of weight.

Originally Posted by nk2k2
hey huffdaddy, do you have any pictures of the part by any chance. i have the same problem so i just want to make sure i replace the right part.
Ill take a picture for ya the next time i work on the spring/struts. Its a little black round piece, probably 2 inches in length total, but if this isnt the problem then it wont really help taking a picture of it.

Originally Posted by dAAmax
i have the same noise its insane!!!! im going insane!!!
Have you altered your suspension set up at all? How long you had the problem? Can you elaborate please?
Old 02-28-2008 | 01:18 PM

I can't find a permanent fix for this noise. I fixed it again last weekend and its now back....again. I switched the struts from one side to the other, so now the noise is on the drivers side. I've figured out what is causing the problem, i just dont know how to fix it. Referring to the FSM, it's the distance tube that goes inside the two bushings that is causing the squeak. It somehow becomes crooked so that it doenst sit flush with the bushings which causes one end of the tube to come in contact with the washer at the top of the strut hat. The more compression and weight on the spring, the more it makes contact and annoys the shiz out of me. I lubed everything up last time, im at a loss. I'm thinking about buying illuminas, was going to anyway, and having the rears installed somewhere so that if this noise does come back, the shop can troubleshoot it instead of me. Should i also buy new strut assemblies from Dave B? Any insight or advice, as always, is appreciated. Thanks yall

Last edited by huffdaddy2008; 02-28-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2008 | 02:10 PM
the org...not what it was

Originally Posted by huffdaddy2008
I can't find a permanent fix for this noise. I fixed it again last weekend and its now back....again. I switched the struts from one side to the other, so now the noise is on the drivers side. I've figured out what is causing the problem, i just dont know how to fix it. Referring to the FSM, it's the distance tube that goes inside the two bushings that is causing the squeak. It somehow becomes crooked so that it doenst sit flush with the bushings which causes one end of the tube to come in contact with the washer at the top of the strut hat. The more compression and weight on the spring, the more it makes contact and annoys the shiz out of me. I lubed everything up last time, im at a loss. I'm thinking about buying illuminas, was going to anyway, and having the rears installed somewhere so that if this noise does come back, the shop can troubleshoot it instead of me. Should i also buy new strut assemblies from Dave B? Any insight or advice, as always, is appreciated. Thanks yall
this morning after my 15min warm up when the car was really cold I just started to hear mine as I made my way out of the garage, hooray for me with another suspension problem....I have the KYB GR2's.
Old 03-02-2008 | 09:52 AM

I'm going to buy illuminas and I had a question all of you illumina owners can hopefully answer. Besides the actual struts, what other parts come with them? Going off of this picture - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...em380000880168 it looks as if you get everything but the top hat and dust boots? I dont know if this is accurate or not though. If so, that would be great because I would get new parts that would hopefully solve my squeaking problem!!!

Also, wheres the cheapest and most reliable place to get them?