5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I lost to a PONTIAC!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 11:11 PM
RussMaxManiac

I lost to a PONTIAC!! :(

Man, I can't believe it, well yes I can, but still!!!

First one I have ran in a long time. This GTP was a green colored Grand Prix GTP. IT had loud exhaust, who knows what else. We both got on the highway, but the damn thing that ****ed me off when we ran. he would not slow down from 60-65mph so we could run. I wanted a 50 punch (my good area int he 5spd), but at 60-65 I can't use 2nd anymore because I am at redline already, so I had to start off in 3rd each time. He SLOWLY pulled away from me. By 90-100 he was only 1/2 car in front and it was almost to the point where the pull stopped but he kept letting off before I could get to my power band really!

Oh well

Old 10-26-2001, 11:25 PM
JET Speed Lab

at least.... hmm... at least you had gas.
Old 10-27-2001, 12:36 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

60 is a nice spot for the auto also... I can downshift to 2nd.

It's alright, he was boosted and you weren't (maybe even a smaller pulley).
Old 10-27-2001, 12:39 AM

Re: I lost to a PONTIAC!! :(

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

First one I have ran in a long time. This GTP was a green colored Grand Prix GTP. IT had loud exhaust, who knows what else. We both got on the highway, but the damn thing that ****ed me off when we ran. he would not slow down from 60-65mph so we could run. I wanted a 50 punch (my good area int he 5spd), but at 60-65 I can't use 2nd anymore because I am at redline already, so I had to start off in 3rd each time. He SLOWLY pulled away from me. By 90-100 he was only 1/2 car in front and it was almost to the point where the pull stopped but he kept letting off before I could get to my power band really!

Oh well
I thought those were fast intill a beat one amonth ago
Old 10-27-2001, 12:47 AM
PhatGuy

Oh well
As I always ask... When are you intalling a Y-pipe? Get that and you will wonder "y" you haven't had it all along! No worries on the warranty man! Is there anyone who has had a warranty issue because of an aftermarket Y-pipe? I haven't heard of one yet... Anyways good luck next time!

Old 10-27-2001, 05:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: I lost to a PONTIAC!! :(

Originally posted by PhatGuy

Is there anyone who has had a warranty issue because of an aftermarket Y-pipe? I haven't heard of one yet... Anyways good luck next time!
I don't think there has been a single one yet!
Old 10-27-2001, 08:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: I lost to a PONTIAC!! :(

Originally posted by PhatGuy

As I always ask... When are you intalling a Y-pipe? Get that and you will wonder "y" you haven't had it all along! No worries on the warranty man! Is there anyone who has had a warranty issue because of an aftermarket Y-pipe? I haven't heard of one yet... Anyways good luck next time!
I keep seeing in different places that the y-pipe is not legal for street use. So how is it that so many of you guys have them installed on your cars?
Old 10-27-2001, 09:05 AM
nc00max

Re: Re: Re: I lost to a PONTIAC!! :(

Originally posted by Tanmann9

I keep seeing in different places that the y-pipe is not legal for street use. So how is it that so many of you guys have them installed on your cars?
I'm not sure I've ever heard of them not being street legal. The y-pipe itself still passes emissions and only eliminates one of two pre-cats. Definitely one the the best bolt-ons available IMO. You get some great gains in the mid-high end, and a much nicer exhaust note.

Old 10-27-2001, 11:23 AM

It is against Federal law to remove working Cats. Since the y-pipe removes the precats, it would seem that installing a y-pipe also is against Federal law.

From Cattmans own web site:

1995-2000 Y-pipe applications eliminate factory-installed "pre-cats" and are not intended for use on public roads or highways.
Old 10-27-2001, 11:30 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Oh well
Superchargers, aint they a biatch!
Old 10-27-2001, 01:28 PM

Bah, who listens to Federal law.
Old 10-27-2001, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by jkratzer
It is against Federal law to remove working Cats. Since the y-pipe removes the precats, it would seem that installing a y-pipe also is against Federal law.

1995-2000 Y-pipe applications eliminate factory-installed "pre-cats" and are not intended for use on public roads or highways.
From Stillen's paper catalog:

Stillen Maxima Race Pipe

The "Y" pipe comes with a few warnings: it is not legal for use on the street
Old 10-27-2001, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that's your sorry as$ excuse 4 not getting one?

Originally posted by jkratzer