5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

01 AE Clutch/Tranny Issue, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

01 AE Clutch/Tranny Issue, HELP!

I have an 01 AE, Bone stock as far as i know as far as the tranny/clutch goes. This just started yesterday, first I noticed the clutch was a little spongy, and it engaged closer to the floor than normal. Then I noticed it was more difficult to get into any gear, especially the lower gears while I am still moving. After it sat for about 4 hours in the cold, it was VERY difficult to get it into any gear. This morning, it WONT go in to any gear, and the clutch is not even engaging I don't think. I can push it in, but it stays on the floor unless I manually pull it up with my foot. Is this a hydraulics issue? Please HELP and give me an Idea of what could be wrong with it.

Thanks a TON for any help you guys can provide.

Thanks again.

-Ryan

Last edited by CaTalyst.X; 02-22-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 PM

Anyone?
Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 PM

i have no idea, but here's a free bump.. good luck man.. as a fellow manual driver, i feel your pain
Old 02-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same problem today...

I had the same problem today. Clutch got slack for the top half, and shortly after, it was entirely slack. I kept going in 3rd gear until I got to a gas station.

It was low on clutch fluid, so I bought some, and then it worked well enough to change gears. I drove to the nearest garage since I didn't trust it.

They found a leak and replaced the slave cylinder and the flex hose. However, after a lot of work, they couldn't get it to function well. you had to press the clutch all the way down, which isn't how it behaved before.

They tried bleeding it extensively, but maybe there is still a problem. I'm going to try to not use it over the weekend and see if I can come up with any explanation.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:16 PM

Good to know, I just did the same exact thing, I added some DOT3 to the reservoir (which was dry) and pumped the clutch about 100 times, it feels better but its definitely not the same and you have to put your foot to the floor for it to shift fairly smoothly.

If anybody has any info I would greatly appreciate it, I am going to try to bleed the slave tomorrow and then keep an eye on it I guess, but that fluid had to go somewhere, so something is awry.

Thanks again for any help.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

After some more searching, I'm going to try bleeding it myself. If that doesn't work, I may bypass the clutch damper.

Here's a couple links:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/274188
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/258820
http://garage.projectraine.com/conte...tchdamper.html

Let me know if you have any success. I'll post tomorrow as well.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:07 PM
And... I'm out

Originally Posted by rich2997
After some more searching, I'm going to try bleeding it myself. If that doesn't work, I may bypass the clutch damper.

Here's a couple links:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/274188
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/258820
http://garage.projectraine.com/conte...tchdamper.html

Let me know if you have any success. I'll post tomorrow as well.
The problem is possibly both your clutch master AND clutch slave cylinders... if you just replace one, and the problem is linked with both, then you have a problem...

my clutch master and slave cylinder went out last year, the car would not engage at all sometimes, and the pedal felt like it had no hydraulic pressure .. even with more fluid (no leaking) it did the same.

I would look into both the master and slave cylinders...
Old 02-23-2008, 07:28 AM

That's right. You're going to have to find out where the fluid is going. You should never lose fluid in a hydrolic system unless there's a problem.

Here's what I'd do:

1st, bleed the system properly to get your car driving right. Keep it topped off until you fix the problem.

2nd, check the slave cylinder for leaks. Pull the boot off and look for any fluid. There shouldn't be any visible fluid under the boot or anywhere on it. If you don't see fluid then the slave is ok. (for the problem you're having) If you do see fluid you need to replace it quickly or risk fluid finding its way into the bellhousing and contaminating the clutch.

3rd, if you don't find a problem with the slave inspect the hose. Again, look for fluid.

4th, if you can't find a problem with the slave or hose it's the master. The master is no fun to remove on these cars and requires more tools and more skill than messing with the slave. It could still have a problem even if you don't see fluid coming out of it right away.

The reason I'm suggesting this order is because it goes from easiest to hardest. There's no point in spending a lot of time and cussing to remove the master if you don't have to. If you find a problem with the slave or hose you can fix it and see if it holds fluid. If so you're good.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bled mine more, and got some air out of it so I don't think the garage did a very good job. The clutch pedal is feeling somewhat better, but not quite normal. I'll try some more bleeding after I warm up. I'll keep an eye on leaks - there had been one on mine where the hose connected to the slave. Although looking at the parts, I'm wondering whether they actually replaced the slave or the branch connector, which is oddly clean looking...
CaTalyst.X - let me know if you have any luck.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Can anyone tell me where I can find the slave cylinder?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 AM

anybody know where its at? Can somebody draw me a rudimentary paint drawing. I have done a ton of searching and come up empty about the clutch hydraulic system

I am going to order the two hoses + Master and Slave cylinder from DaveB tomorrow.
Is there anything else I should replace?

-Ryan
Old 02-24-2008, 02:49 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by CaTalyst.X
anybody know where its at? Can somebody draw me a rudimentary paint drawing. I have done a ton of searching and come up empty about the clutch hydraulic system

I am going to order the two hoses + Master and Slave cylinder from DaveB tomorrow.
Is there anything else I should replace?

-Ryan
Slave is bolted on the side of the trans, it pushes on the end of the clutch fork to release the clutch. Follow the lines from the master, they lead to the slave.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:15 PM

OK cool, I think I have located it. Im not sure what the box that is in between them is, but i suppose I wont worry about that. I just got a NEW OEM Nissan Master Cylinder for $25.50 shipped on eBay, so I am feeling better about this already.

Thanks again for all of your guys' help, if anybody has anything else to add I would really appreciate it.

Ill check back here if I have any issues once I get the parts from DaveB.