5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sunroof Leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Sunroof Leaking?

Alright, haven't been in here in ages, but has anyone experienced their sunroof leaking on the driver's side or just inside the driver's door on the headliner? Both those areas will get wet when the car is sitting in rain for awhile and will saturate the headliner and then drip onto the driver's seat.

I pulled the headliner off about a month ago and it seems there is a drainiage system around the bottom of the sunroof and the water exits through a plastic tube and runs down the pillar on the front of the driver's door. Perhaps that is leaking? I tried to tape it up once but I noticed today I still have some leaks.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:04 PM

All Nissan Sunroofs are covered thru the life of the vehicle with or without warranty! Same as the seatbelts!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
All Nissan Sunroofs are covered thru the life of the vehicle with or without warranty! Same as the seatbelts!
Really?

I've never heard that.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Epacy
Really?

I've never heard that.
I know... that is surprising... is it only in the states?

Last edited by vaudeville; 05-08-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:23 PM

Do you have access to a compressed air tank? There are drain holes in the four corners of the sunroof. The front left one is more than likely clogged. Find the hole on the drivers side and blow the compressed air in it. Should unclog it. FYI, I had this exact problem last summer. While you're at it, might as well blow some air in all of the holes to unclog them too.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by AEMAXIMA01
Do you have access to a compressed air tank? There are drain holes in the four corners of the sunroof. The front left one is more than likely clogged. Find the hole on the drivers side and blow the compressed air in it. Should unclog it. FYI, I had this exact problem last summer. While you're at it, might as well blow some air in all of the holes to unclog them too.
You had the same problem as in a wet headliner near the front of the driver's side that leaked down onto your seat?
The compressed air fixed your problem?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:05 PM

Yes, exact same problem. I actually took it to the dealer b/c I didn't know that was what the problem was. They head service tech told me about the drains, shot some compressed air through the holes, and voila!! He didn't charge me, but I can't guarantee anything for you. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by AEMAXIMA01
Yes, exact same problem. I actually took it to the dealer b/c I didn't know that was what the problem was. They head service tech told me about the drains, shot some compressed air through the holes, and voila!! He didn't charge me, but I can't guarantee anything for you. Good luck!
Thanks for the info!
I will try that. Saw the drains earlier tonight. Realistically, you could block off that one drain that is giving you problems cause the water could drain out the other holes.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Haha havent had any problems with leaks, just the one time i opened my sunroof right after taking it through the car wash (cause i was not thinking straight) and water gushed onto my leather...needless to say i was pretty upset
Old 05-09-2008, 01:26 AM

I had a seatbelt retraction reel fail a few years back on my 86.5 Hardbody! that's when one of our many Nissan informed me that thier seatbelts and sunroofs are lifetime warranted, the only thing you pay for is labor cost!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 PM

I'm thinking that I have a sunroof draining issue as well...

Took the car to a car wash today (can't wash them at the apartment) and my son pointed out a leak coming out of the handle at the headliner. It was a pretty steady stream of water. After we got home, I took a look and could see a bit of a water stain around that area. Apparently, it hadn't been bad enough for me to notice before then.

Is it possible this leak is related to the sunroof? If not, where else should I look?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:15 PM

Sunroof air leak

The rubber edges of my sunroof have a definite sealing problem because I hear the wind when driving at highway speeds. Will Nisan's lifetime warranty of the sunroof cover replacing the seals or the entire sunroof?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can probably adjust the sunroof by adding or removing shims. Search, its on here somewhere.

Can someone please post a reference to Nissan's sunroof warranty. I think that one may be a stretch. I tried google and came up with nothing.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by RLStrick756
The rubber edges of my sunroof have a definite sealing problem because I hear the wind when driving at highway speeds. Will Nisan's lifetime warranty of the sunroof cover replacing the seals or the entire sunroof?
Are you just worried about sealing for wind noise, or just air? I'm not familiar w/ the sunroof warranty, but you can buy shims from Nissan. http://www.shiftice.com/sunroof_wind_noise_fix.html
Old 11-12-2008, 07:22 AM

Sunroof air leak

Thanks for the link to a possible fix to my problem. Just to clarify, there is a slight space 1-2mm between the sunroof and the roof. This is probably due to the rubber trim around the sunroof shrinking over time. I wonder if there are shims that will shift the sunroof to seat the rear slightly to make a tight seal? I should not use a hammer if a little finesse will work right?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 AM

I'm not sure how thick the shims are, but I would definitely use them instead of a hammer. And as stated before, this is just to fix the air noise. The rubber trim does NOT keep water out of the sunroof. That's why it has the drain holes in the corners.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:56 PM

My drivers side headliner is stained a little bit but it's never actually been wet as far as I can tell. I was getting a little worried, but now that I know it's covered that's a huge relief!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by PadawanKnight
I'm thinking that I have a sunroof draining issue as well...

Took the car to a car wash today (can't wash them at the apartment) and my son pointed out a leak coming out of the handle at the headliner. It was a pretty steady stream of water. After we got home, I took a look and could see a bit of a water stain around that area. Apparently, it hadn't been bad enough for me to notice before then.

Is it possible this leak is related to the sunroof? If not, where else should I look?
...anyone?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 PM

The sunroofs are designed to leak... into the drain lines. Depending on the angle of the car decides which hose to drain through. If one is clogged or ruptured, you will have serious problems.

To save hassle on going to the stealership, blow it out with compressed air gently without rupturing it then use a pressurized water nozzle to ensure it is draining properly.

I'm curious what is covered by warranty though. Someone post after taking their car in for it. I'll ask my Nissan service buddy.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:43 AM

I happened to open my sunroof and take a look at the channels.
And there was so much garbage and leaves in there. I cleaned it out and cleaned out the drains as well.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 AM

yea i went to the wash the other day and high pressure water for sure came in through the sun roof...not happy
Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey new to this forum but known about it for years. Bought my baby a year ago and never had a problem with her till now! ('95 4th gen Nissan Max.) Just recently moved from Seattle to Philly and afraid the weather changes have cause some minor problems like dead battery, and small rock chip turning into a cracked windshield but today was the worst of it!!! My maxima was flooded *CRIES* not completely no seat damage or floor thank god but ther was watter pooled in the center console and change holders... There was water coming in through the interior headliner from the light fixture from around the dome lights and sunroof switches. Some water damage to the liner gunna dry it out before it gets messed up. But where to start i have no clue..... I'm afraid that it might be the sunroof but not 100% sure. i've come across a few post talkin about drains and possible clogs to the tubs. But i have a sneeky suspision that its not it.

Had it parked facing downward on a slightly hilled driveway my sunroof has a rainguard along the front of it, not sure if the water pooled up in it and caused the leak due to the angle (it had a large puddle in the rainguard). I have never really parked on hills facing downwards most if not all areas have been flat till recently. The seals around my Sunroof are in GREAT condition so i am at a totaly loss at what to do. I was told to test and see where the water is leaking in, also told it might be a shruckin gasket due to weather that will need to be replace at a local auto glass place or go to a dealership! UGH..... So i've removed the rainguard off and parked it in the same fashion it was sitting wanna see if water comes through but any ideas or suggestions might be nice just wondering if anyone has had this problem *sighs*

Just anotha Maxima LOVER!!!
~Alicia

Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM

edit

Last edited by Klutch; 01-16-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 AM

i have the same problem with my 95' gle. it leaks at the headliner and top of a pillor cover. ill check out the drain holes after the rain stops. thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:31 PM

thought i might let you guys know, my hose came undone from one of the corner drains, so it was dumping on to my ceiling.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had this problem a few years ago. Their was a block in the drainage system. Long story short; the dealer found the block and everything is cool now.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:04 AM

did they do it for free? that would prove if it is covered.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 AM

The sunroof drain goes to the right rear qaurter panel then drains to the ground on the 4th gen it goes to a T connector with the power antenna,The T rotts and the water will drain into the right rear qaurter panel causing it to rust. On the 5th gen it drains behind the right rear wheel look close and you will see it.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm getting some minor leakage onto the sunroof headliner and can hear the wind a little more than I think I should. It appears I have something broken on drivers side track. It works, but with the sunroof closed, I can push from underneath and get the one side to come up another 1/4". I can't see what's going on with the track. Any Ideas? Is it easy to remove the sunroof to see whats going on with the track?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM

put the sunroof back you can get a good look at the track then?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not good enough I'm afraid. There is linkage that is patially visible and is part of the track, however, I can tell this linkage is loose on one side where it is rigid on the other. Just can't get a good look.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM

check the FSM's for your particular year .ie mine is an 2003 so many points of interest regarding the sunroof are contained in the BT section of the .pdf from adjustments to drains ... here's the link to the FSM's I would suggest download all that you can for your particular year and burn to disk for safe keeping, just to many links go dead.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2003/

Last edited by Ghost_54; 01-28-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The sunroof on my 2003 is leaking. It rained all day yesterday and during the rain I removed the headliner enough to see the drain hole tube and assure that it was not clogged. I could see the water dripping from just beyond where the tube meets the port. PLEASE HELP!!! Is it a seal, gasket, etc.?
Old 01-13-2015, 11:53 PM

I had a seatbelt retraction reel fail a few years back on my 86.5 Hardbody! that's when one of our many Nissan informed me that thier seatbelts and sunroofs are lifetime warranted, the only thing you pay for is labor cost!
I was at my Nissan dealership the other day and I was inquiring about the seat belt retraction reel on the driver's side (mine hardly works) and I was not informed whatsoever of this supposed lifetime warranty.

And I agree with Reizy, I kinda doubt that warranty exists.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sunroof and Seatbelt warranty.

I just called the Nissan dealership and the sunroof warranty is only a 3 year warranty and the seatbelt warranty is only for 100,000 miles.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tamtam_ar1
I just called the Nissan dealership and the sunroof warranty is only a 3 year warranty and the seatbelt warranty is only for 100,000 miles.
Well for some people 3 years is a lifetime, being that alot of people trade them in after that time.

FYI, the compressed air trick works for clogged a/c drains as well.