5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

N00b here, help with catalytic converters!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:35 PM

N00b here, help with catalytic converters!

I did the search, btw...
Could find something I can relate to..

I have this 02 SE, and the engine light is lit.
Went to my shop that I always go to.. He said it's related to 02 sensor and Catalytic. I already replaced my 02 Sensors last month.

I bought the Warpspeed Y pipe and the same shop installed it.
My engine light lit 2 days after. So I thought it was related.

Also I found others have the same noise with warpspeed y pipe like mine when accelerating.

While my car was lifted, we hit the y pipe to see if anything was loose.
There were some noise inside the Catalytic converter.
Turned out that there were lots of those metal "charcoal" chunks in it.

SO I was told to replace all 3 of the Cats.
The 2 before the Y pipe, and the one after Y pipe. Dealer wants $2000 for all three

Where can I buy the 2 before Ypipe? What are they called? Everytime I search it comes back with the one AFTER Y pipe.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 AM

pull your codes first
Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Turbo'd Saab

the ones before the y-pipe are called precats. They are only important for when you car warms up, after the car has reached idle temperature the main cat does its job. There is no reason to replace the precats as they are built into the headers. Most people on here buy headers, which remove them completely.

as for a cat just find one ebay for cheap they all pretty much do the same thing, no need for a high flow either cause its pointless in our cars.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
the ones before the y-pipe are called precats. They are only important for when you car warms up, after the car has reached idle temperature the main cat does its job. There is no reason to replace the precats as they are built into the headers. Most people on here buy headers, which remove them completely.

as for a cat just find one ebay for cheap they all pretty much do the same thing, no need for a high flow either cause its pointless in our cars.
That's probably the best thing for you to do...either buy a aftermarket Header assy (Cattman) and Hi flow converter but pulling you codes first would be highly recommended. But I would pull those codes first just in cause you have another problem like runnning extremely rich due to a leaking injector! Good luck!!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks guys...
I'll ask my mechanic if he can remember the code.
We are still puzzled by those metals in the main cat..
Anybody have had the same experience?

I want to buy a header and get rid of the pre cats completely, but afraid of the CA emissions. Any place where I can buy those other than dealers?

Thank you!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Glory Glory Man United

The only place you can get Aftermarket Headers are from Cattman. Awesome quality and great guy to deal with .

Dont buy those Ebay knockoffs you will have a really hard time with fitment, unless you can find a set of hotshots which are rare.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by dual700
Thanks guys...
I'll ask my mechanic if he can remember the code.
We are still puzzled by those metals in the main cat..
Anybody have had the same experience?

I want to buy a header and get rid of the pre cats completely, but afraid of the CA emissions. Any place where I can buy those other than dealers?

Thank you!
CA emissions regulations vary per county and zip codes. If you're not sure what the regulations are where you live, check out the region specific threads in this forum. There you will find a lot of useful information regarding emission standards, what's legal and what's not, which zips require vehicle inspections prior to smogging, etc...
Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 PM

Thanks guys!
I got my RSB from Cattman, great guy.
As far as OEM pre cats, any place I should look at?

I'll search on the emission regulation tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 PM

Hey, we do emission testing down here in Houston and the surrounding areas and I have a Cattman Y-pipe, Warpspeed Metallic Cat, Cattman Catback and rear Muffler Assy! I Haven't installed my Cattman Headers yet but I sure our test thru out the country are pretty dam close! You can call ABC Nissan (18003731066) they offer wholesale pricing on everything other than Nismo and Nissan Motorsport! But I would definitely spend the money for the Cattman SS Headers!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Hey, we do emission testing down here in Houston and the surrounding areas and I have a Cattman Y-pipe, Warpspeed Metallic Cat, Cattman Catback and rear Muffler Assy! I Haven't installed my Cattman Headers yet but I sure our test thru out the country are pretty dam close! You can call ABC Nissan (18003731066) they offer wholesale pricing on everything other than Nismo and Nissan Motorsport! But I would definitely spend the money for the Cattman SS Headers!
Thanks, Brian also told me to get the complete package and might pass CA Emission.
Contemplating to sell this Max now.
Spent lots of money to get my stereo in it already.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 AM

If you are not worried about emissions, if you have no inspections or just visual inspections, you can just hallow out your cats and get some "spark plug non-foulers" from your local auto parts store buy a package per 02 sensor and install them on the sensors into their stock locations. Have the codes cleared and CEL problem solved. The non foulers will move the sensors out of the gases fumes "simulating" a properly working catalytic converter.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:41 PM

punched out Cats!

Originally Posted by OhOhMax
If you are not worried about emissions, if you have no inspections or just visual inspections, you can just hallow out your cats and get some "spark plug non-foulers" from your local auto parts store buy a package per 02 sensor and install them on the sensors into their stock locations. Have the codes cleared and CEL problem solved. The non foulers will move the sensors out of the gases fumes "simulating" a properly working catalytic converter.
Did you know a test was done proving that punched out a cat actually decreases you power output! Yes you just disturbed the airflow with all thoughs edges and left over cermanic pieces hanging in your exhaust gas stream!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:02 PM

I am not saying that this is not true, I am just suggesting an alternative method of solving the CEL issue if emissions are not a "real" issue, since I don't know where this person is located.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:42 PM

I live in Los Angeles, CA..
I am going to put back my stock y pipe this weekend and reset the code and see what happen..

Thanks guys
Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 PM

its happened to me before! i have an 02 and the precats' insides started to break down causing the last third cat to clog up! the precats are actually welded into teh stock headers and can only be replaced by nissan! so i would defintely replace everything with aftermarket headers im waiting for my car to do it again so i can get some cattman goodies!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:34 AM

Well the thing is, I don't think I can pass smog using aftermarket headers.
I went to my shop and it's P0420, right after I installed warpspeed y-pipe.
So, I took it out and put the original back and reset the code.
It's been 20 miles so far.

It that code shows up again, I will do what everyone says, bring it to dealer, since I already replaced my bank 1 02 sensor.
Or sell the max and get a gas sipper car