5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Using 89 Octane Fuel (10% ethanol blend)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:15 PM

Old 05-30-2008, 05:53 AM
Turbo'd Saab

oh snap....we are suppose to use unleaded fuel
Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 AM
wat

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
oh snap....we are suppose to use unleaded fuel
:O my car doesnt have that sticker, therefore i use c16 leaded fuel
Old 05-30-2008, 06:34 AM

dealership gave me the car with 87 octane fuel and told me it was ok to use it - i ran for a week with it and didn't experience any issues.

after that first tank i always use 91 octane. whatever helps to prolong the life of my motor and have it perform at the highest level it can.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 AM

SOME DATA not Douchebagery...

I was HOPING someone would contribute some compelling DATA on the advantages/disadvantages of E10 and longevity of use in our vehicles.

I NEVER said I couldn't afford premium fuel, and I specifically stated that I have used it for the life of my car, until this past month.
It was EXPERIMENTAL -- not a proclamation of a lifestyle!

Did ANYONE happen to notice that I observed a MARKED REDUCTION in my OIL CONSUMPTION RATE over the course of 2000 miles?????

Did anyone notice that I said I can feel NO or MARGINAL DECREASE in the performance of my vehicle....even after running 93octane PREMIUM fuel for over 5 years in my Max???

Now - back on topic....even for those that are tired of seeing these threads....

I did a few searches on info related to E10 usage in U.S. cars and found the following:

A. Ethanol has a LOWER energy potential (btu) than pure Petroleum refined fuel, but a higher OCTANE value. (see lower fuel economy)
1. Ethanol (alcohol) is hygroscopic, and absorbs water more easily than regular pump gas -- which makes E10 or other variants BAD for marine use.
2. Ethanol has recently replaced MTBE as an oxygenating agent in MOST modern fuels in the u.s. due to MTBE being a carcinogen, and hi-incidence of seepage into water-tables from underground storage units.
3. Ethanol/alcohol has higher detergent properties than straight petroleum gas -- which can be beneficial for cleaning internal engine components.
4 Contrarily: older, dirtier engines can be damaged with the release of internal pollutant build-up, but this is only in extreme conditions.
5. E10 blends typically elicit 5-7% WORSE fuel economy.
6. Most U.S. sold vehicles are capable of utilizing E10 blends, but E15, E20, & E85 blends may require engine component upgrades.
7. Ethanol is a RENEWABLE, DOMESTIC energy resource.
8. E10 fuel is currently .10-.20 cheaper PER GALLON in the u.s. market.
9. Demand for E10 fuel will likely reach FULL SATURATION (12million gallons yr.)by 2012...where Demand Exceeds supply = prices go up!

As it stands -- i could find NO Major studies or supported information that claims or supports that Ethanol is either good or bad for the long-term health of our vehicles.

There is ALOT of OPINION regarding the true USEFULLNESS of E10 and other ethanol blended fuel in the world and u.s. market -- but I think, if there is NO OTHER TRUTH about this fuel: it's here to stay.

I'm looking for a REASON that my oil consumption has been cut in-half recently....and more importantly -- is this fuel Better for my vehicle than the RECOMMENDED Premium???
Other than lower fuel economy (which is ALMOST a wash economically) I can see no ill-effects to my vehicle from using this fuel....thusfar.

gr
Old 05-30-2008, 08:51 AM

Yes, ghostrider, I can understand your dilemma. Perhaps (and once again I'm not actually forwarding any empirical data) the decreased oil consumption is due to the better cleaning properties of the E10. Maybe it washed the cylinder walls a little more and caused the rings to seat better due to some oil being washed off. If that's the case, then the next concern might be cylinder and/or ring wear at a faster rate than you previously experienced. Once again, pure conjecture.

But except for the oil consumption issue, in our cars, it still doesn't appear to make any economic sense to switch to E10, 89 octane. Losing 5-10% in fuel mileage translates to 20-40 cents per gallon at the current $4.00+/- price. That's losing more than the 15 cents per gallon savings at the pump for using 89 instead of premium.

The oil consumption issue is certainly interesting, but I have to agree with Soonerfan otherwise.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:14 AM

what he said lol
Old 05-30-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
I was HOPING someone would contribute some compelling DATA on the advantages/disadvantages of E10 and longevity of use in our vehicles.

I NEVER said I couldn't afford premium fuel, and I specifically stated that I have used it for the life of my car, until this past month.
It was EXPERIMENTAL -- not a proclamation of a lifestyle!

Did ANYONE happen to notice that I observed a MARKED REDUCTION in my OIL CONSUMPTION RATE over the course of 2000 miles?????

Did anyone notice that I said I can feel NO or MARGINAL DECREASE in the performance of my vehicle....even after running 93octane PREMIUM fuel for over 5 years in my Max???

Now - back on topic....even for those that are tired of seeing these threads....

I did a few searches on info related to E10 usage in U.S. cars and found the following:

A. Ethanol has a LOWER energy potential (btu) than pure Petroleum refined fuel, but a higher OCTANE value. (see lower fuel economy)
1. Ethanol (alcohol) is hygroscopic, and absorbs water more easily than regular pump gas -- which makes E10 or other variants BAD for marine use.
2. Ethanol has recently replaced MTBE as an oxygenating agent in MOST modern fuels in the u.s. due to MTBE being a carcinogen, and hi-incidence of seepage into water-tables from underground storage units.
3. Ethanol/alcohol has higher detergent properties than straight petroleum gas -- which can be beneficial for cleaning internal engine components.
4 Contrarily: older, dirtier engines can be damaged with the release of internal pollutant build-up, but this is only in extreme conditions.
5. E10 blends typically elicit 5-7% WORSE fuel economy.
6. Most U.S. sold vehicles are capable of utilizing E10 blends, but E15, E20, & E85 blends may require engine component upgrades.
7. Ethanol is a RENEWABLE, DOMESTIC energy resource.
8. E10 fuel is currently .10-.20 cheaper PER GALLON in the u.s. market.
9. Demand for E10 fuel will likely reach FULL SATURATION (12million gallons yr.)by 2012...where Demand Exceeds supply = prices go up!

As it stands -- i could find NO Major studies or supported information that claims or supports that Ethanol is either good or bad for the long-term health of our vehicles.

There is ALOT of OPINION regarding the true USEFULLNESS of E10 and other ethanol blended fuel in the world and u.s. market -- but I think, if there is NO OTHER TRUTH about this fuel: it's here to stay.

I'm looking for a REASON that my oil consumption has been cut in-half recently....and more importantly -- is this fuel Better for my vehicle than the RECOMMENDED Premium???
Other than lower fuel economy (which is ALMOST a wash economically) I can see no ill-effects to my vehicle from using this fuel....thusfar.

gr
No one ever reads threads. They see a post about gas and someone makes a snarky comment and the rest of the followers post

While I don't have any evidence one way or another I don't like Ethanol b/c it's not as good for the environment as it was touted to be. Not to mention its affect in raising food prices.

Do what you want and WGAS about what some dude on the Max board thinks of you.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Turbo'd Saab

some of us can't ever go back to 89 or 87, that is the point. Some of us have ECU upgrades that only allows us to use 91/93

I appreciate the data and its very informative.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by jasonmax
the other thing we can do to get better gas millage is what you can do best, Scottwax, detailing. clearner the car is, less friction the air will produce when doing high speed
...except mine was filthy from all the rain we had when I was in Kentucky!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:47 PM
retired moderator

1. please keep it civil
2. gas threads are played out