5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maf went out 2k2

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:48 PM
down with Bing

Maf went out 2k2

I have been searching and reading on here about the maf and the different ones ex. 2k1 or the am600. I dont really want to spend 400ish on the am600 but dont know how to do transfer the sensor out of the 2k2 so the cel does not come on. I searched but could not find a true write up on this and was wondering if anyone had a write up on how to do this with some pics. I am mechanically inclined and have done all kinds of stuff but when it comes to a little sensor that could cost 400 bucks i dont want to screw it up.

Thanks for the help

Tim
Old 06-16-2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by nismo2ner
I have been searching and reading on here about the maf and the different ones ex. 2k1 or the am600. I dont really want to spend 400ish on the am600 but dont know how to do transfer the sensor out of the 2k2 so the cel does not come on. I searched but could not find a true write up on this and was wondering if anyone had a write up on how to do this with some pics. I am mechanically inclined and have done all kinds of stuff but when it comes to a little sensor that could cost 400 bucks i dont want to screw it up.
Tim
I just replaced the MAF on my 2000 Maxima. It's a different MAF than yours I believe but mine is easy to replace, if you are mechanically inclined. If yours is removed/replaced like mine, all you do is loosen the big round clamp holding the MAF into the intake thing, then remove the air box. The MAF may be tightly stuck in the intake connector; you can squirt some WD-40 oil around the outside of it. Then it should pop right out when you pop the airbox out. There are four bolts holding the MAF onto the air box. Remove the MAF electrical connector, remove the four bolts, replace the MAF, replace in reverse order.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=258878
Old 06-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I went through this thread and its more of a "what's the difference thread" than a "how to" thread. Good reading though. There's some posts on the third page which goes into detail about how to do the thermistor thing.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:03 PM
down with Bing

yeah that is the thread i read and got all the info on. but like jkayca said their is not really a "how to"
Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

That is the most informative thread on the subject, in my opinion. It's very straightforward, so I'm not sure what more you would need.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask here.

They key is to be very careful when transplanting the thermistor. Other than that, it is plug and play as far a the actual MAF sensor goes.

I keep an extra 01 MAF in my toolbox 'just in case'.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:45 PM

Can we back up a step?

How do you KNOW your MAF is bad in the first place?

Have you cleaned it and then tested it on the car?

Also, from everything I've read--once you replace the MAF on a 2002 you MUST have the computer reprogrammed at the dealer.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
They key is to be very careful when transplanting the thermistor. Other than that, it is plug and play as far a the actual MAF sensor goes.
When replacing the MAF in my 2K Max recently, I considered this option instead of replacing the whole MAF. I even got a Torx T20 to try to remove the thermistor. It would fit the keyed screws on the new MAF I bought, but for some reason the screws on my original MAF's thermistor were not completely drilled out. I could not get a Torx wrench or anything else in there, as far as I could tell. Anyway, once I figured out how to remove the air box (which made me a bit nervous at first), replacing the actual MAF was incredibly easy, and if I have to replace it again I wouldn't even bother trying to switch the thermistor.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by maximomo
Can we back up a step?

How do you KNOW your MAF is bad in the first place?

Have you cleaned it and then tested it on the car?

Also, from everything I've read--once you replace the MAF on a 2002 you MUST have the computer reprogrammed at the dealer.
You have a code for it, or are seeing common intermittent problems (hesitation / no rev about 2.4k), possible lean codes.

There is a way to test it:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=335327

I have heard that it is not necessary to have the ECU reprogrammed. It is only necessary if the car does not run correctly (rough, etc) after the MAF was changed. Hit or miss.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ahallmaxima
When replacing the MAF in my 2K Max recently, I considered this option instead of replacing the whole MAF. I even got a Torx T20 to try to remove the thermistor. It would fit the keyed screws on the new MAF I bought, but for some reason the screws on my original MAF's thermistor were not completely drilled out. I could not get a Torx wrench or anything else in there, as far as I could tell. Anyway, once I figured out how to remove the air box (which made me a bit nervous at first), replacing the actual MAF was incredibly easy, and if I have to replace it again I wouldn't even bother trying to switch the thermistor.
I wasnt aware that 2k's had a thermistor
Old 06-16-2008, 03:01 PM

You have a code for it, or are seeing common intermittent problems (hesitation / no rev about 2.4k), possible lean codes.
Yeah, I could assume this is the reason as well. But I don't see this from the OP. Maybe a neighbor just mentioned the MAF to sound smart or something.

I hate to see someone throw parts at a problem when there are SO many great tests that can be done for these cars to find out if a part is really bad.
I mean, if it was a GM product you wouldn't have much choice but to throw parts at it or junk it.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

I agree. A lot of members come on asking about something but hardly ever give any background.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:32 PM
down with Bing

I ran the codes and it came up as the maf. Sorry guys i guess i should have mentioned that before. And yeah it has all the symptoms no rev past 2.4 and all that crap. The past month it has been kinda hesitant so i cleaned it about a month ago and sunday i went to start and it did the ruff idle and the no rev past 2.4. So I checked all the codes on the car and checked the stickes on here to figure out what was wrong. Then i tryed to clean it again and reset the ecu but same thing happened. So today i bought a 2k1 maf it should be here tomorrow and that is when i will do the install.

The ecu code reset is all i have to do or do i have to unplug the battery and let it reset the whole ecu so it will relearn everything?

Thanks again for the help everyone!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM

I wasnt aware that 2k's had a thermistor
Sorry, I thought you meant the element inside the MAF - guess the newer MAX MAFs have something else...
Old 06-17-2008, 06:19 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by nismo2ner

The ecu code reset is all i have to do or do i have to unplug the battery and let it reset the whole ecu so it will relearn everything?

Thanks again for the help everyone!
In your case, just the ECU reset procedure is necessary. I wouldn't do the battery thing.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:59 PM
down with Bing

everything is done and engine code is gone and runs great!!! Not as hard as I originally thought and saved a boat load of money!

Thanks for all the info and help.