5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Changed the alternator last night

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM

Changed the alternator last night

what a pita, the one that was in there took a dump. Had to remove the radiator to get it out. Saved a bunch of money by not takin it to the shop though. The car seems to be running much better, seems like it has more punch down low, I really wasnt expecting that but I got on it a bit to make sure everything was ok and there was no noticable lag. Just wanted to share my experiance
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

What? No step by step write-up with pictures?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
What? No step by step write-up with pictures?
Not necessary IMHO.... There are some smart assses out here who would say it can be done w/o taking off the radiator or much worse it can be done in a hr, plain and simple. One is better off not hearing all that nonsense, right.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Oh man, my wife would have been pi$$ed if I took pics b/c my hands were covererd in grime and coolant, lol.

And yes, I agree w/ Love, some people would say piece of cake, an hour job, and for some it might be.

I didnt think I would have to remove the radiator going into it, but once it was unbolted and free moving w/ no brackets attached, it just would not come out. We even unbolted the A/C lines and tried to gently bend them outta the way. I was starting to bang the alternator inthe back of the radiator, and it was bending up the fins and stuff so I just removed the fans/shroud & radiator. Just the one radiator had to be removed, not both of them. Then it came out no issues. Installed everything back, topped of the radiator, burped it, and its all good today.

I have a volt meter on my head unit, not sure how accurate it is but it was readling 11.2 before i replaced it and 13.9 after we were done (I had a buddy that works at Firestone help me out). I knew it was the alternator b/c it def wasn't the starter b/c it turned over no issues (no clicking), I replaced the battery b/c I was hoping it was that, but the next day I got the same issues. While driving, the brake light, battery light, and some other light kicked on. Then my radio started turning on and off, basically all electrical componets were working half ***, the windows would barely go up.

Overall it was done w/ basic hand tools, patience, and an extra set of hands. Id say a 5 out of 10 for the medium experienced mechanic. Only difficult b/c of location, nothing that a basic bolt turner couldnt do if it were right on top. Oh yeah, disconnect battery b4 you take off the cap of the alternator, I sent sparks everywhere
Old 06-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well if you check the stickies there's a procedure on how to replace the alternator already plus a link to another page that has pics.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=25552
Old 06-17-2008, 09:55 PM

Damn alternator

I feel your pain. I have been there done that. By far the biggest pain in the *** was that damn alternator 5+hours. I dident have to remove the radiator or ac lines but I did have to un bolt the radiator up top to give me wiggle room down below & when I was all done & bolted it all in & went to plug it in............. it was for a 01 max & had a different electrical connecter so I had to take it back out return it get the right one & do it again. I could have taken someones life that day. Any way being as I have now installed one twice in one day I could do it alone in under a 2 hour span start to finish.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by jkayca
Well if you check the stickies there's a procedure on how to replace the alternator already plus a link to another page that has pics.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=25552
Didnt feel like I needed directions.
Just conversing w/ others, thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by ohannon7
Didnt feel like I needed directions.
Just conversing w/ others, thanks
Actually my post was directed at Scottwax who was asking for directions and pics. Sorry for not being clear.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 AM

yeah, I figured there was a write up so I didnt even think about doing one really.
Honestly, as long as someone has the replacement alternator in hand (which they should if they are replacing it), then you can see exactly where the bolts are that gotta come out. Then its just a matter of figuring out how to get to them.

FAQ's are great though, they really helped me out when I was first trying to learn how to work on cars. I probablly should give back/contribute, thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 07:40 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by jkayca
Actually my post was directed at Scottwax who was asking for directions and pics. Sorry for not being clear.
You must have missed the smilie. I was kidding about him adding extra time to the alternator replacement by taking pictures. I've already seen the thread you linked.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 AM

its soo hard to understand exactly what people mean on teh interweb, lol.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just took the alternator out of my wife's car yesterday. In no way is it that bad. Still necessary (or a great convenience) to take the fan shroud off. You just have to take the A/C compressor off its mount so it hangs lower. The alt. can then be taken out of its braket, pushed towards the drivers side and then down. Very easy. Took more time to get the bolts off the alt. then it did to remove it.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 PM

i had to get mine replaced just a month ago.....
Old 07-18-2008, 12:18 AM

Well you made it harder on your self... you do not have to remove the radiator to change the alternator.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
Not necessary IMHO.... There are some smart assses out here who would say it can be done w/o taking off the radiator or much worse it can be done in a hr, plain and simple. One is better off not hearing all that nonsense, right.

Ummm... it can be done without taking out the radiator. Don't know about done in an hour though, took me two hours, but I was working with no more light than the light from my 4 battery LED Mag Light flashlight, haha. Started at 2am so I could go to the beach that morning with a bunch of friends.

I'm sure if you took your time to look at everything before you started working on it that it COULD be possible to get it done in an hour maybe less, assuming that everything works in your favor.

Anyways I did it without touching the radiator, I just unbolted the A/C Compressor and vwallah everything slides in and out just fine.