5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How did you guys seal up your HID fogs after install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:30 PM

How did you guys seal up your HID fogs after install?

Hey,

Im just wondering how you all managed to SEAL up your HID fogs after install. I decided to recently swap out my fogs light HID bulbs for some 8k, coming from 10k H3 bulbs. Im sealed mine up by using a square of industrial plastic around the top of the housing, and electrical taping around the entire top of the fog light.

My thoughts on this is............THERE HAS GOT TO BE A BETTER SOLUTION!?!!

No water has ever gotten in my headlights but i DO notice a "BIT" of condensation on one of them so im going to re-do the sealing up...But i just wanted to get some info on how others have CLEANED THEIR INSTALLATION UP TO PREVENT LEAKAGE, AS WELL AS CONDENSATION, on their STOCK Fog light housing, with h3/ H3c (mini) HID bulbs.

i figured i'd start a thread, as i cant seem to find one regarding this issue specifically
Old 06-26-2008, 12:15 AM

I had 2 sets of foglights... the old cracked and the new set! I have a 03 with the glass lense. I took the bulb access **** and opened up the rear with a unibit and fitted the grommet that came with the Xtralights Hid kit, thru the enlarged along with the bulb leads(wires)! The stock grommet was too small to fit the wire lead connectors thru! My digital camera is broke, my wife accidently drop it!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:57 AM

so you were able to push one of your HID wires thru and use the gromet that came with it?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:43 PM

any body got any more ideas?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:09 PM

Silicone maybe?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:02 PM

Haha i said there had to be a better way too. Mine are straight taped in. A lot of electric tape, bad part....they stopped turning on after yesterday. No idea why. I have them wired into my low beams and my low beams work, so idk where to go from here.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nicktard
Haha i said there had to be a better way too. Mine are straight taped in. A lot of electric tape, bad part....they stopped turning on after yesterday. No idea why. I have them wired into my low beams and my low beams work, so idk where to go from here.

lol, tell me about it.....that method worked for over a year for me....RAIN, SNOW, slush...no water got in them, no condensation, and no road debris....but it just looked so PITIFUL ya kno
Old 06-27-2008, 02:31 PM

ok here is a good way. i used silicone but found with the motions of the car it would work itself loose. I made plexiglass covers for the lenses so my glass wouldnt break and that is held on by silicone. works perfect and cant even tell its there. for the wires on the bulb... my h3 hid fog fit in the factory location very well so no mods there. after a lot of trial and error to seal the wires coming out of the back i used the factory grommet that orig held the fact fog light wires. the hid fog wires were much thicker so this is what i did. i took a drill bit and by hand went in the hole to bore a little. not to much but enough to get it thru but tight to seal from water. then i took some bearing grease ( im sure vasoline would work good too.) and lubed the wires and slid them thru, assembled the fittings on the wires and plugged it in. have had it like this now thru the winter, very hard rains.. about 6 months, and have not had a single drop in the fog. oh i also got rid of the glare sheild in the fog. much nicer look with it gone.

oh a side note: make sure to use elec tape to wrp each wire inside the fog so they dont arch. had this happen and couldnt for a month figure why they would go on and off by themselves and the problem was they were arch thru the elec tape. so i had to use more elec tape to insulate the wires and since then not a problem. mine are 5k and look mint

Last edited by jeff5347; 06-27-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
so you were able to push one of your HID wires thru and use the gromet that came with it?
Yes, is was able to use the grommets that came with the kit. I wish my digital camera was not broke I would send you a picture. Does your kit have grommets? The enlarged hole has to be large enough to pass the weather/water proof connectors thru. I was able to use the damaged foglight's connector on the end of my ballast so it would be plug-n-play with the chassis harness! there's also a adjustment screw/hex on the rear of my foglight. There's a recess in the fascia where it sets, you can uni-bit that recess so that a 8mm socket can fit thru and adjust the beam of your foglights! Good luck man....