5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

what to do about my hids

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 PM

what to do about my hids

So I purchased hids from maximabest a little over 2 years ago mostly because of the lifetime warranty. Driving tonight I blew 3 fuses all from the same side. Logging in I see he hasn't had any activity for a year now. Anyone else have this problem? I'm not sure if this is the right place to post This but I'm not exactly sure what else to do or if I'm just out of luck.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 PM

wow thats a new one have you replaced the old one and it does it again? and did the hids come with a wiring harness ?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a huge problem though, I drive a 2002 nissan maxima, and that particular year, this car comes with the HID headlights, or xenon headlights standard, its got this bluish look when you turn on the headlights, I am sure that you are familiar with that.

When I got into the car accident by hitting a dear, the insurance company had to replace both of the headlights, at the beginning, the headlights werent original, and the bluish look is completely gone, when you turn the car on, the headlights turn blue only in the beginning, and then it turns white. Finally, after convincing the insurance company to replace the headlights to its orginial nissan manufacture part, I expected the results to be better, it was not. The headlights were still not as blue, or purplish like the ones before the accident. So they decided to take the car to the Nissan auto parts to diagnose the problem, they said that this is nornal, and this is the nissan original part. Which I do understand that, but a friend of mine, also drives a nissan maxima, same year, and his are far more powerful, and its got more bluish color look like mine before the accident. and his are stock, no after market parts, can you please tell me what is the problem? I would really appreciate if you can help me to solve my problem. thanks

Zack Kurowski

stafford, virginia
Old 07-10-2008, 04:28 AM

I do believe that many HID bulbs increase in color temperature as they age, which may explain why you had blue or purpulish bulbs before your accident. As for why they are not as powerful, I have no explination.

Also, please be aware that the higher the color temperature (the more blue or purplish the color) the less visable light you have. Yellowish bulbs produce the most usable light, which is on the other end of the color spectrum. So just remember that when looking for new bulbs. What you can do is check the balasts, housings and bulbs to see if they are OEM equipment that was purchased new from a liscened Nissan parts dealer. If they are, then just leave it as is because you know you've got what Nissan originally put in Maximas. The color difference it something you can adjust by choosing a different bulb if you are not satisfied.

Also, for your own protection. The restriction on new members is designed to prevent the recurrance of old topics and questions, spamming and trolling. A really bad way to get the 5 or 10 or whatever posts you need to be able to post new threads is to high jack someone elses thread (like your doing now). Find some threads where you can contribute, post there and work your way up. High jacking a thread when you are below the threat threashold is a good way to get perma-banned. I do believe you can post in the members rides and other cars section. Leaving a few posts with positive comments on others cars is good way to fulfill your requirements without breaking the rules. Just fyi.

Last edited by Whitebread; 07-10-2008 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by merovi
So I purchased hids from maximabest a little over 2 years ago mostly because of the lifetime warranty. Driving tonight I blew 3 fuses all from the same side. Logging in I see he hasn't had any activity for a year now. Anyone else have this problem? I'm not sure if this is the right place to post This but I'm not exactly sure what else to do or if I'm just out of luck.
Please explain what 3 fuses you blew? The RH/LH headlight fuses? Im assuming that the ballast does not have an external fuse? Check your wiring..over the 2 years the insulation could have gotten worn off one of the wires and may hit ground...remove your headlight and trace all of the hid related wires back to the factory harness (Im assuming its power source is plugged into that)
Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Drockb418
wow thats a new one have you replaced the old one and it does it again? and did the hids come with a wiring harness ?
Ya, it was a 15 min drive and every couple mins I would pull over and replace the fuse. Came with everything. Bulbs, ballasts, harness, ignitors. I'm just not sure how to go about the warranty on this item. I mean they cost $260 back then and that was a little high but hell it was a lifetime warranty. I'm just not sure if anyone else has had any problems and needed to contact him because I know he sold a lot of kits and he has been gone for a year now.

It was the same fuse 3 times. Fuse in the wiring harness that goes either from the ballast or to the ballast. I would have to double check which direction. I did move all the wires around last night because I assumed the same thing. It was dark though
Old 07-10-2008, 05:01 PM

so I had the car sitting in my driveway, put in a fresh fuse after inspecting all the wires and they are properly attached and none have any holes. With the car off the ran just fine, started the car and now the fuse blows in less then 5 mins.
The cord with the fuse goes from the stock bulb harness into the ballast. This is driving me nuts because I hate halogens and I dont want to get pulled over for having a headlight out. Passenger side btw

edit: Now I have no idea what to think. I tried switching cables betweent he 2 sides after the light went out. When I turned on the lights both lights come on. Both the light that was previously out and the light with the "bad" fuse. ABout 5 min late the same light goes out. So i take out the fuse and put it back in litterally seconds later, the same fuse, lights back on. Aside from switching every piece individually to find out whats going on, i'm not even sure what I can do when I find out what the problem is.

Last edited by merovi; 07-10-2008 at 05:13 PM.