5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ABS sensor problem with a low budget...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 AM

ABS sensor problem with a low budget...

My ABS light is on and I can't take it to Nissan to pay them 300 bucks to read which sensor it is. Is there a way to figure it out on my own? Also, is there a place to get the sensors cheap? I've tried searching but a lot of the results go to threads which aren't the right one (I think you know what I'm talking about concerning older threads)
Old 07-22-2008, 11:50 AM

This might sound stupid but have you check fluid level?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:52 AM

No I haven't. Would it be brake fluid in the engine bay, if so, that's fine. If not, where is it?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:42 PM

1st what year is your car?
2nd were are you located?
Did the dealer really tell you 300 bucks to read the code and tell you which sensor it is? ROFL holly ****sa, an abs sensor is gonna run you around 130 bucks i think thats how much i paid for mine. Try finding someone locally that maybe has a hook up at nissan. If you have any mechanical abilities its pretty easy to install takes about a half hour to an hour.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:22 PM
retired moderator

go to autozone, they'll read the code for free...

then look up the code in the stickies here to see what it means....

if it's a bad ABS sensor (very unlikely) go get one for $10 at a junkyard....if not that, call DAVEB for the best price.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:30 PM

I would take the ABS sensor off the wheel, spray brake cleaner and put it back. Be nice to the sensor, once the 2 10mm bolts are off the sensor, use a screw driver to dislodge it and then pull gently off the knuckle. The repair manual details getting the axle off the knuckle before removing the sensor but I realized it is unnecessary as the sensor is far off the axle teeth to result in damage.

Stay away from cheap semi-metallic pads, the dust can get stuck to the ABS magnetic sensor.

I recommend cleaning the sensors every 60K miles and always sticking with ceramic pads to prevent metallic dust accumulation.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:05 PM

First, do exactly what Love_00_Max has suggested, and check each visible sensor harness and the connector for damage and the sensor body for cracks/damage. But, the problem could be something else. Any indication (pedal pulsing or a clicking noise) of a brake being released during slow speed braking? If cleaning/checking the sensors doesn't resolve the issue (the light doesn't go out after a couple of driving cycles) then you are going to have to get the system scanned for codes.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
I would take the ABS sensor off the wheel, spray brake cleaner and put it back. Be nice to the sensor, once the 2 10mm bolts are off the sensor, use a screw driver to dislodge it and then pull gently off the knuckle. The repair manual details getting the axle off the knuckle before removing the sensor but I realized it is unnecessary as the sensor is far off the axle teeth to result in damage.

Stay away from cheap semi-metallic pads, the dust can get stuck to the ABS magnetic sensor.

I recommend cleaning the sensors every 60K miles and always sticking with ceramic pads to prevent metallic dust accumulation.
you need to be extremely careful taking them off...mine were so brittle they cracked right off, plus they were seized to the spindle with rust (they worked fine, i was just putting new spindles in). Hit them several times with PB blaster or something if you're going to take them off.

As to the pads....while in theory I agree, I have put 500,000 miles on cars with semi-metallic pads (not cheap ones though) and never had an ABS sensor issue. Ceramic pads are ok, but I've never liked their lack of bite and poor fade resistance. But that's another discussion for another thread....
Old 07-23-2008, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the help, I will check it out.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM

I don't believe you can pull the codes w/ a OBDII scanner.
Download the FSM ( its free- do a search) there is a section that tells you how to pulls codes from the ABS/TCS module, it involves grounding one of the leads of the OBDII port. Its fairly easy to do, pretty comprehensive and will give you the reason why the light is on. the fact that the light is on means that somthing is wrong/broke, since everytime you start your car the ABS module does a self diagnostic - if everthing is OK no light...if somthing is wrong it illuminates the ABS light.
I had to do this recently, i left my car sitting in the garage for 2 months, during that time for reasons i dont understand my front right abs sensor broke- $130 from daveB
And Irish is right somtimes those sensors will seize right to the spindle - i had to drill out the old one w/ a 5/8" bit then grind off the remainig bits stuck to the cavity.
goodluck
Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 AM

I had broken a front sensor as well a while back changing a wheel bearing (37k), lt was very brittle. When I called the dealership for a quote for the part they wanted my vin. I asked why and they said there were differant sensors based on vin for my year> BS? I have no idea. As far as I'm concerned everything a service manager ever tells me is a lie until proven otherwise.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
go to autozone, they'll read the code for free...

then look up the code in the stickies here to see what it means....

if it's a bad ABS sensor (very unlikely) go get one for $10 at a junkyard....if not that, call DAVEB for the best price.
I work at autozone, you cannot pull an ABS code with OBII. We cannot pull ABS codes at all, and I'm bummin cause my lights on too.