5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MOOG VS OEM Front Sway Bar End Links

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:26 AM

MOOG VS OEM Front Sway Bar End Links

Max'ers:
I have used the search feature and found a few posts on using MOOG vs OEM sway bar end links (both pro and con).

My garage wants to install MOOG because he says they are stronger, have less rubber in them, the joints can be greased, and he can both get them and guarantee them. There is shaft without any rubber bushings in them, and swivel ball joints at each end. He says they cost less than OEM link kits.

The ES poly sway bar mounting bushings are coming in tomorrow and SE sway bar is ready to put in.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Vic
Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 AM

I have MOOG in mine but no noticeable difference. However, longevity might be different.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 PM

I used moog parts on the front end of another car i have, and they appear to be far superior than stock components. Much more solid than stock. Never had any problems either. I endorse MOOG.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 PM

if this is the case ill just get MOOG sway bar end links, i figure its time to replace mine, and i had contemplated on OEM vs MOOG
Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM

i used moog links and es sway bar bushing. no problems. the good think about moog is that they're greaseable, also oem cost twice as much
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 PM

stupid q here- how easy is it to replace the sway bar end links? I probably need these replaced.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ICELANDIC MAX
stupid q here- how easy is it to replace the sway bar end links? I probably need these replaced.
Sway bar end links are a piece of cake.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 AM

Moog is a very outstanding brand, they do alot engineering revisions on there parts to removed the weak areas the OEM overlooked!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:08 PM

Can I just use the ramps vs jacking up the car? what tools do i need? did you guys get the parts from dave b?

Originally Posted by BENMAX03
Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 AM

RESULTS ARE IN!

Max'ers:
The new ES sway bar bushings, the MOOG endlinks (with grease fitting) and SE sway bar were installed yesterday in the GLE.

PRO'S: The car responds instantly to steering input on freeway ramps..no leaning, then turning in. It handles flatter than before.

The MOOG endlinks are beefy and have no rubber give like the stock ones do. The more expensive version have grease fittings on them. From the dealer, they were actually more than the stock Nissans.

The bar reacts instantly to leaning. There is zero play from the ES bushings. Is the high end limit of cornering been raised? Don't know....but it handles flatter getting there! It has more of a high performance feel.

CON's: you can now feel every impact from expansion joints....no give. Also, you now feel every bump...less cushion that before. If you want a complaint ride, do not get the ES bushings for the sway bar.

thanks

Vic
Old 07-31-2008, 11:45 AM
大陆弟弟

More expensive version? I searched Advanced Auto Parts (partsamerica.com) and only found one version for $17 per side.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ICELANDIC MAX
Can I just use the ramps vs jacking up the car? what tools do i need? did you guys get the parts from dave b?
No, you cannot put the car on ramps because you have to take the tires off, you have to put it on jackstands. You will need a ratchet and wrench...forget which size exactly. I cut my hands/arms a lot doing this even though it was pretty easy...I recommend wearing some gloves.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Toolie

I had to zip cut mine off, they were rusted on there pretty bad
Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 PM

You are sooooo right.

I discovered the same thing...until I got the phone call from the shop...South Jersey Auto Parts shipped us MOOG endlinks WITHOUT grease fittings!

It would take another day to get the endlinks WITH grease fittings!!!!

It is a real hassle to drop a car off the exact opposite direction from work...show up late...leave early and try to bum another ride back.

They would up buying the end links WITH grease fittings and charging me a @!#%^ fortune because the other car parts place #2 and to run to 2 locations to get the right ones.

Not much I could do....I was between a rock and a hard place. I was being the nice guy by not buying the endlinks on line for $17-20. Enough whinning.

The bottom line is that they work well!

Originally Posted by n3985
More expensive version? I searched Advanced Auto Parts (partsamerica.com) and only found one version for $17 per side.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM

Actually....mine are still in good shape. Don't know what I am going to do with them yet. I was surprised. However, my stock bushings on the actual sway bar were very worn....guess they took the brunt of the beating.

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I had to zip cut mine off, they were rusted on there pretty bad
Old 07-31-2008, 02:04 PM
大陆弟弟

So the version sold in auto stores come with grease fittings then? What are grease fittings anyways?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

part numbers?

Can anyone post the Moog part numbers? That would be helpful to make sure we get the right parts witht the grease fittings. Also, the ES part numbers would help too.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:19 AM

I do not have the actual MOOG part numbers for those with grease fittings (assuming that South Jersey Auto Parts just didn't screw up the entire order and ship the wrong end links).
However, the second parts place (which charges a huge mark-up ) did send those with grease fittings.

Grease fittings are nipples on the ball/socket joint that you can shoot grease into when your car is "lubricated"....something garages don't do much anymore since cars come mostly without grease fittings. It helps the moveable joints last longer. They are getting harder and harder to find on new cars. I own my own grease gun and use it occasionally if the stealers miss a grease fitting on the cars.

As far as the Energy Suspension ES numbers are concerned....there are 2 sizes 22mm and 23mm. Go to the website and look up your model and year so that you get the exact size for your Max.

The car really handles flatter! Again...don't know if the ultimate corning ability at 10/10 is raised...but it is an improvement for 7/10 freeway ramp busting and back road cornering.

Vic

Originally Posted by kgallerie
Can anyone post the Moog part numbers? That would be helpful to make sure we get the right parts witht the grease fittings. Also, the ES part numbers would help too.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:15 PM
大陆弟弟

After reading this thread I ordered Moog endlinks as well from Rockauto, and they are indeed BEEFY compared to the OEMs. However, being a suspension n00b, I don't understand the grease fittings? Am I suppose to inject grease on occasion inside it? The fitting looks like a small opening with a ball bearing which can be pushed back, how am I suppose to get grease inside such a small hole? Thanks for the help
Old 08-08-2008, 05:16 AM

Since you're in Edgewater Park, you can go to the Pep Boys on Route 130 and buy a hand-operated, lever grease gun. I would suggest you get the flexible hose so that you can get in there to better lube those hard to reach grease fittings.

Just slip the nozzle of the grease gun over the fitting, and pump the grease in by pushing the lever on the grease gun.

Or...have the stealer do it next time you get your oil changed.

BTW....Classic Nissan will sometimes give do-it-youselfers a small discount on parts.

I will be probably giving away my used endlinks. They are still usable but since I replaced the sway bar, I replaced the links too.

Thanks

Thanks

Vic

Originally Posted by n3985
After reading this thread I ordered Moog endlinks as well from Rockauto, and they are indeed BEEFY compared to the OEMs. However, being a suspension n00b, I don't understand the grease fittings? Am I suppose to inject grease on occasion inside it? The fitting looks like a small opening with a ball bearing which can be pushed back, how am I suppose to get grease inside such a small hole? Thanks for the help
Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Can someone provide the part #'s for the Moog end links for the 5.5 gen?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM
大陆弟弟

Just buy it direct from Rockauto, they are the cheapest too.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Zack342

I don't have the exact number as my dealer ordered them...HOWEVER, BE SURE YOU GET THE VERSION WITH THE GREASE FITTINGS! The first set they tried to put on my car did NOT have them.

By the way, between the new links and the ES poly bushings on the bar, the car handles much flatter. Now, the limit of adhesion is determined by the outer front wheel...not lean that messes up the suspension geometry.
thanks

Vic
Old 09-05-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zack342
Originally Posted by kgallerie

Thanks.
RH-K90431 / LH-K90432 - the catalog does not list seperate numbers for with or without grease fittings. Most suspension parts will have a small bolt in the grease hole. Remove the bolt and install a grease fitting or use a needle tip on the grease gun. From the illistration in the e-cat, these links should come with fittings. use the link below to look up the parts and click on the "i" in the little box to get a pic.

http://www.federal-mogul.com/en/Afte...s/Catalogs.htm

Last edited by MerlotMax; 09-05-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks guys for the info i will be ordering these today.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 AM

hey i was looking into getting the front sb bushings. i was looking at this site. seems a lot cheaper than auto zone.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=7.5124
Old 01-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by BENMAX03

does anybody have pictures of the installed bushing endlinks for a 5th generation maxima? I have a 2001 AE. I was gonna change the endlinks I thought today but got to looking and the endlinks don't even have any bushing on them, I don't understand what you guys are changing. any pics would be great. thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 AM

Are you guys talking about the link kit ?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I'd say pretty much every suspension part I've seen that Moog makes is superior to the OEM version. I got outer tie rod end links from Moog and they are definitely beefier than the OEM ones and have a grease fitting. Going to do the end links and ES D bushings next.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by asianstyle
does anybody have pictures of the installed bushing endlinks for a 5th generation maxima? I have a 2001 AE. I was gonna change the endlinks I thought today but got to looking and the endlinks don't even have any bushing on them, I don't understand what you guys are changing. any pics would be great. thanks
I am not sure about the 00-01's but I did the MOOG endlinks and ES sway bar subframe bushings yesterday on my 03. To answer your question, there are no bushings on the endlinks. The es bushings mentioned in this thread are the subfame bushings which hold the sway bar to the subframe.

I had a slight cluck/knock from the front end with every little bump I hit. It was coming from both sides so i figured it was my endlinks/subframe bushings. So based on this tread, I got the MOOG endlinks and the ES bushings. Finally got them installed yesterday without much problem. Took about 3-4 hours... but thats including an oil change, going to the internet to fine torque specs, researching jack stand points, losing tools, and it was the first time I did them. If I do them again i could probably do it in 1-2 hours start to finish.

My car is quiet again. It definitely took care of the clunking I had in the front. I didnt notice to much improvement in handling, but I am on snow tires which probably limits how much I would notice it. It does feel a slight bit tighter around turns and over bumps, but that may be my mind playing tricks on me because there's no more clunking.

I am definitely pleased with the results and recommend it to anyone who has slight clunking in the front. Its a pretty inexpensive and easy DIY thing to try before looking in more expensive solutions (i.e. tie rods, engine mounts, struts/suspension)
Old 02-24-2009, 03:23 PM

sway bar

ok what size is my car 22 or 23mm..its an se model 6spd
Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 PM

IIRC 23
Old 02-25-2009, 05:10 AM

Reminder:

Originally Posted by bs02maxima
ok what size is my car 22 or 23mm..its an se model 6spd
The end link should be the same for both sizes.

Be sure to get the MOOG end links with the grease fittings. Then...be sure they are lubed when your oil is changed. Mine were forgotten by the garage and I had to have then do it later.
Thanks
Vic
Old 02-25-2009, 05:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i like moog parts, they seem to last
Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 PM

oh ya i have moog swaybar endlinks w/the grease fittings and moog lower balljoints and upper strut mounts there beefy looking but do add any better handleing..but ya moog def has good products
Old 02-25-2009, 03:44 PM

dumb question im guessin but what the hell is IIRC ...post #32
Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM

oh lol if i re-call lol...ya its a 2002
Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by bs02maxima
oh lol if i re-call lol...ya its a 2002
I think it may actually be "if I remember correctly"........same thing though.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 AM

Moog never skips or takes the cheap route when producing replacement suspension components they always over engineer every item from bushings to balljoints to end links etc....but I can guarantee you the flaws that exised in the original component have been dealt with in every Moog redesigned part! That's the Moog way! By the way the Nissan endlink was designed for boys, the Moog appears to have been designed for hardcore men!
Old 04-05-2009, 02:28 PM

Does anyone have a pic of what the installed moog endlinks look like?

Quick Reply: MOOG VS OEM Front Sway Bar End Links