5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car died. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:37 AM

Car died. Please help

I have a 2002 maxima with 64'037 miles and is still under my extends warranty about two weeks ago my car wouldn't start thinking it was my battery jumped the car took it to my mechanic Andre cheked it out after letting the car sit over nite and said everything was fine. However yesterday while sitting at a red light the car just turned off on me and none of the electrical lighting would even turn on. Car wouldn't even get jump started like totally fried. Whatis my problem. And am I also gonna have a problem with the car at the stealership
Old 08-02-2008, 12:11 PM

I'm thinking it is the altenator. Have you tried hitting it with a stick or broom handle? I have seen people suggest that from time to time not sure if it really works. I stay away from dealerships so can't help any there.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by 99Silvermist SE
I'm thinking it is the altenator. Have you tried hitting it with a stick or broom handle? I have seen people suggest that from time to time not sure if it really works. I stay away from dealerships so can't help any there.

This is something that is suggested for a starter, not an alternator.

I would give your warranty a chance to do it's job... but they can always find a reason to not warranty something.

There is a lot of different things that it could be. Like silver said it could be an alternator. If your battery was not in the best of condition and not holding a charge then you could have killed your alternator which would have subsequently drained your battery completely once it stopped working... this would explain the car shutting off when you came to a stop. But I am am no expert with electrical systems that I could figure this out for sure from such a vague description.

If you can think of anything else that you could tell us we can probably help you a little better here.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:53 PM

I would check the positive battery wiring. If there is no current going there, even a jump start is of no use.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Okay this is something that has happened to my wife's car before and it was her battery. Because of all of the computer run items on the car the battery has to be completely up to snuff. If it has any problems a dead cell or anything it just will not hold enough of a charge to run the car. It will either just cut off as you put it in gear or it might go a little while and then just die.

Sometimes the battery even looks okay when tested but in the end it is usually the battery. It just will not hold enough of a charge to run everything. This has actually happened with two of our cars in the past and one I went out and cranked it up and everything started pinging and flashing and it looked like the 4th of July in that car and it scared the hell out of me but in the end we put a new battery and off she went.

Plus like was said in a post above it might have taken a toll on your alternator just trying to keep the battery charged.

Get your battery checked at any auto parts house like Advanced or Auto Zone. Then they can check your alternator when you get it started.

Good luck