5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Growing concern on 5th gen Max's

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 10:10 AM

Growing concern on 5th gen Max's

hey guys.....what is a coilpack? I read soemthing about the possibilty of a problem with them on a lot of 5th gen Max's
but the manufacturer doesn't want to recall them.

Anybody else hear about this?
Old 11-12-2001, 10:21 AM

Ignition coils I would assume...
Old 11-12-2001, 10:25 AM

coil packs are the coil system, that produce the high voltage for the spark plugs. nissan have individual packs on each plug.

i have an intermitten ping that maybe related to a defective coil (no codes were thrown) from this group i gather info and was able to get my dealer to replace all 6. problem is they are back order ....now that by its self is not a good sign (deman is up).

when i have mine replaced i will post and let you guys know the outcome.

car is 2k with 28k miles. i keep ontop all of the TSB and get them done ASAP.

neil p
Old 11-12-2001, 10:51 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by neil
coil packs are the coil system, that produce the high voltage for the spark plugs. nissan have individual packs on each plug.

i have an intermitten ping that maybe related to a defective coil (no codes were thrown) from this group i gather info and was able to get my dealer to replace all 6. problem is they are back order ....now that by its self is not a good sign (deman is up).

when i have mine replaced i will post and let you guys know the outcome.

car is 2k with 28k miles. i keep ontop all of the TSB and get them done ASAP.

neil p
In regards to your problem, I know yours is severe. But did it start out as a slight issue?

Mine currently (9200 miles) "chugs", hard to explain but like a small stuttering. At first I thought it was being in the incorrect gear but have noticed it happening more frequently. First it was only when cold, then its when I "get on it" when I am on the highway. Additionally my fuel mileage has started to decrease with same driving parameters in place.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:01 AM

actually mine is not too bad .. car drives great .. once in a while when yu floor the car in second gear yu would get the pinging ... but i dont drive like that everyday ..... i wouldnt have noticed the pinging if i wasnt "enjoying" the car one day ...other than that the car drives great mileage is about 21 mix and all is welll with the car ...no hesitation ect ... i changed by air filter at 10k then 20k then now i have the K&N drop in filter ... i also put a bottle water remover in the tank and now i have a bottle of chevron gas concentare to help clean out a bit ....

someone mentioned something about cleaning the injectors and such.

but no systoms like yours and no early signs, thats all i have on mine (knock on wood)

neil
Old 11-12-2001, 11:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine seems to Knock sometimes....

I wonder if this knocking has something to do with the coils, I am using the right octane gas. it seems to go away if i apply more throttle.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:22 AM

i have been using 93 octane since day one ...as the knocking comes up you can feel the timing is being retarded and the car loses power a bit. with the dealer there is no code to go on and no info, however the tech went to nissan tech line and there was something about it. if you bring it to the dealer, let them know that NNA is aware of the problem. thats how i approach the problem thanks to a few guys from here .... also, my dealer has been really good about it all and always willing to work with me.

neil
Old 11-12-2001, 11:25 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by neil
actually mine is not too bad .. car drives great .. once in a while when yu floor the car in second gear yu would get the pinging ... but i dont drive like that everyday ..... i wouldnt have noticed the pinging if i wasnt "enjoying" the car one day ...other than that the car drives great mileage is about 21 mix and all is welll with the car ...no hesitation ect ... i changed by air filter at 10k then 20k then now i have the K&N drop in filter ... i also put a bottle water remover in the tank and now i have a bottle of chevron gas concentare to help clean out a bit ....

someone mentioned something about cleaning the injectors and such.

but no systoms like yours and no early signs, thats all i have on mine (knock on wood)

neil
Thanks for the info! Hmmmm, not sure whats up then. I was getting ~24mpg mixed driving, now only about 21 mixed, which is what you are getting. I cannot hear the motor as I am partially deaf and its getting worse(read: need shift light). Anywho have to keep researching....
Old 11-12-2001, 06:32 PM
RussMaxManiac

Hmm no ping here, 12k of miles 2001.

Old 11-12-2001, 10:30 PM

This seems to be a rare problem. I haven't seen many complaints on it. I'm not saying it exists though. For the record... I didn't see it on my 2000 and not on my 2002 either.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:28 AM

PingPing Knock Knock …let's put an end to it!
Old 11-13-2001, 03:34 PM
Maxima06071

yeah mine pings like crazy too. the dealer also put me on back order, he said about 3 weeks. my fuel economy has also suffered and my max hesitates and twitches. I guess I have a lemon

Old 11-13-2001, 04:32 PM

some ping is normal....

I have the 95 max and the 2000 I30. Even though I use 92 octane in both cars I have always noticed some ping in both cars.So I suspect some ping is normal since both cars are otherwise fine.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm still waiting for a coil for my 2K.

All summer I noticed a slight intermittent ping. I called the dealer and they told me to make sure I was using the highest octane (I have been all along).

Last week I had a coil failure. The bad news is I was told that I shouldn't drive the car and the part is on back order (I'm told the ETA is 11/30/01). The good news is they gave me a loaner.

I spoke to a friend of mine on Saturday and she had her check engine light come on last month on her 2K. When she brought it in they told her that there was a problem with a coil and that they couldn't get one because the are on back order. She was told it was ok to drive it and to ignore the idiot light (at least that's what she told me).

I have been assured by the dealer that the bad coil was causing the pinging. I can't wait to get it back to see if he's right.

Dan
Old 11-14-2001, 02:22 PM

Re: some ping is normal....

Originally posted by sascuderi
I have the 95 max and the 2000 I30. Even though I use 92 octane in both cars I have always noticed some ping in both cars.So I suspect some ping is normal since both cars are otherwise fine.
In your 4th gen too? I have never noticed anything like that. When is it you seem to notice it at?

SuDZ
Old 11-14-2001, 06:43 PM

Re: Re: some ping is normal....

Originally posted by SuDZ

In your 4th gen too? I have never noticed anything like that. When is it you seem to notice it at?

SuDZ
I actually notice it more in the 95 than the 2000 I30. It will happen once in awhile, but if it does it will happen when I am accelerating slowly from say 10mph to 30mph going up a hill. On the 95 I would also notice it at the end of a 12 hr non-stop trip when going slowly up a small incline.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:41 PM
seansimon

TSB for Coil and knocking

My car is awaiting this service cause it runs really rough (knocks, poor acceleration) but only on occasions. Had my car serviced 2x by one dealership (****ty dealership), and had to take it to another (Northwest Nissan, Lynnwood WA = Excellent!) to get them to do something. The Lynwood dealership had a Nissan mechanic who had been working on em for 20 years. I explained the symptoms and the information furnished here on the BBS. He then had me drive up a very large hill at about 2000RPM. The knock was slightly evident then (but not to the extent I had felt on previous occasions).

He found the TSB for it as NTB01-059.

My coils are on backorder...so that should say something eh? I am going to start a thread on this in an attempt to get a paper copy of it.

Cheers!