5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How low can you go

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM

How low can you go

I want to know who in here has a very low drop on 20s? I am lowered with progress on 20s and no rubbing at all. The front is just too high still. I want to get the S-techs which would be a big diff. from 1.5 inch to 2.2. I've seen max's and G sedan/coupes with coilovers on 20s, im just curious what to expect before I attempt this. I'm not so much worried about potholes etc. Im just more worried about turning radius and such
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Offset Is Everything.

youre worried about turning radius?

id be more worried about bottoming out with s-techs. soft spring rates and low drop... well you decide. plus potholes and 20s isnt a very good combo either. youre better off running AS or COs if you want low, but be prepared for other things to worry about.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 PM

wassup Mr D. i'm running illuminas also, i'm just in it for the handling and to cover that ugly gap lol the rear is nice, just needs spacers. i only wanted the s-techs so i wouldnt have buy CO's cuz its costly lol poor mans coilovers=springs+struts. I'm gonna end up doing it anyway (sighs) but just thought i'd get opinions. you've always had the nicest drop to me.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 PM

whats size tire and wheel are you running? im only dropped 1.5f 1.3r on a 245/35 20 and i barely have any room left between the tire and the fender.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by MROTH
whats size tire and wheel are you running? im only dropped 1.5f 1.3r on a 245/35 20 and i barely have any room left between the tire and the fender.

i'm running on the same tire. wheel is 8.5. i can space the rears, so it sits nice. its just the front. it also kinda raised the car but if you stand back, it looks lowered

Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 PM

i have a homeboy with a 5th gen on 20s also. my springs are lower than his eibachs and with him running a 30 sidewall, his car appears lower than mine. i refuse to run a 30 sidewall though lol he regrets it
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Ground Controls. True story.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Majestic Ken
i'm running on the same tire. wheel is 8.5. i can space the rears, so it sits nice. its just the front. it also kinda raised the car but if you stand back, it looks lowered

ya i see whatcha mean... car looks realllly good tho!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Former Vendor

i don't know why you guys with 20s always think lowering is any different for you. if your tire size/width/offset is right you can go as low as anyone else. you got a long way to go before you run into any real clearance issues (frame rail, inner fender, etc.). you just gotta be ready to trade off performance for style and work with the solid rear beam.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:45 PM

good deal. i'll do all i can just to get to where i want. prolly do coilovers (the route i didnt wanna go) tax return may take care of it unless i can find a GD
Old 01-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Offset Is Everything.

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
yes, true story.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
It's business time.

You think S-techs will handle better than Progress?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:31 PM

truthfully i could really care less, a drop is a drop depending what height you want. im not gonna be shimmying around any cones so who cares. (not being an a-hole). i decided to go the coilover route since i want it to sit nice and low with the 20s.

Last edited by Majestic Ken; 01-11-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

truthfully i could really care less, a drop is a drop depending what height you want.
No.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
retired moderator

Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Yea so anybody know anyone in here that has 20s and coilovers? anything outside of my question is ignored
Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
retired moderator

your question has already been answered: The fact that you are using 20s is completely irrelevant to what suspension you use. If you use the correct size tires, and the correct width/offset on the rim, they will have the EXACT SAME overall diameter as an 18" or 16" wheel with the correct tires.

your question should not be about suspension. Any suspension will work with 20s. PERIOD. your question should be about what is the corrrect rim width/offset and tire size/profile to get that will be equivalent to stock.

There are plenty of people here with 20s and coilovers, 20s and spings/struts, 20s and airbags. We have a search feature here. We also have a photo thread here if all you want is how a drop looks (since it is clear you don't care how your ride or handling is).

And for the record: S-techs are, by a large margin, the absolute worst spring you can put on a maxima. The drop is too low (screws suspension angles and destroys handling), the rate is waaaaay too soft (you will be bottoming out...ALOT), and with most struts you will be bouncing down the road and nobody will want to ever ride in your car.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:08 PM

hmm...can't exactly say i agree with you irish. i had stechs and illuminas, and my car drove pretty damn nice. handling was great as well. i was also told that my car rode pretty smooth too. so i dunno.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:10 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by choiiiiiiiiiii
hmm...can't exactly say i agree with you irish. i had stechs and illuminas, and my car drove pretty damn nice. handling was great as well. i was also told that my car rode pretty smooth too. so i dunno.
what else have you had?

also note that the Illuminas at least allow you to adjust rebound a bit to eliminate bounciness. But most of these guys try to put them on with Blues or stock struts

Last edited by irish44j; 01-11-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Not sayin your wrong, but I think it also depends on your area too. Most people down where I am love the stechs and illumina combo. Even paired with AGX they feel great. Road quality and climate have alot to do with it too. Either way, after goin with coilovers, I will never turn back to a spring and strut combo.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
what else have you had?

also note that the Illuminas at least allow you to adjust rebound a bit to eliminate bounciness. But most of these guys try to put them on with Blues or stock struts
that's just asking for trouble.
i knew better than to NOT put anything less than illuminas on.

i haven't tried any other setups, however i have driven many different cars, with many different setups. just my opinion.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
your question has already been answered: The fact that you are using 20s is completely irrelevant to what suspension you use. If you use the correct size tires, and the correct width/offset on the rim, they will have the EXACT SAME overall diameter as an 18" or 16" wheel with the correct tires.

your question should not be about suspension. Any suspension will work with 20s. PERIOD. your question should be about what is the corrrect rim width/offset and tire size/profile to get that will be equivalent to stock.

There are plenty of people here with 20s and coilovers, 20s and spings/struts, 20s and airbags. We have a search feature here. We also have a photo thread here if all you want is how a drop looks (since it is clear you don't care how your ride or handling is).

And for the record: S-techs are, by a large margin, the absolute worst spring you can put on a maxima. The drop is too low (screws suspension angles and destroys handling), the rate is waaaaay too soft (you will be bottoming out...ALOT), and with most struts you will be bouncing down the road and nobody will want to ever ride in your car.

i'll probably just roll with the coilovers then. going down to a 30 tire would make it lower just like when i had my 18s but i refuse to go that route. i care how my car handles, but obviously any drop would handle better than stock height. like stated before, nobodys auto crossing, its just for everyday use.since i want a lower drop i'll just end up buying the CO's anyway so its a done deal.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 PM

that's just asking for trouble.
i knew better than to NOT put anything less than illuminas on.

i haven't tried any other setups, however i have driven many different cars, with many different setups. just my opinion.
i'm running the illuminas w/ progress and i cant complain. i've rode in other cars thats been dropped to slammed and i really dont complain about bounciness or harshness. i run my car full stiff and people do opposite of complaining. half the time i'm riding by myself just goin to work and back during the week so lol
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
they only make these for 4th gens
Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Former Vendor

i care how my car handles, but obviously any drop would handle better than stock height.
so so very untrue. i'm not trying to discourage you here, i am personally of the slam it and live with the consequences frame of mind, but you need to at least have a general understanding of the consequences before hand. if you are talking about really going low you need to have at least a light grasp on what you are going to be doing to your suspension geometry. control arms, tie rods, and cv joints are going to be at exaggerated angles. do some reading in the advanced suspension section. you might not be autocrossing but the guys who are have the most knowledge of function. you just need to take what's relevant to you and leave whats not. you'll be smarter for it.

also, you're unwillingness to run the correct profile tire is going to have an affect on how low you can go.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:48 PM

even h-techs w/ the 20's look decently dropped. Spencediggy on this forum had the 20" Foose Speedsters on s-techs. Search for his thread. This was my 20's on H-techs.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
so so very untrue. i'm not trying to discourage you here, i am personally of the slam it and live with the consequences frame of mind, but you need to at least have a general understanding of the consequences before hand. if you are talking about really going low you need to have at least a light grasp on what you are going to be doing to your suspension geometry. control arms, tie rods, and cv joints are going to be at exaggerated angles. do some reading in the advanced suspension section. you might not be autocrossing but the guys who are have the most knowledge of function. you just need to take what's relevant to you and leave whats not. you'll be smarter for it.

also, you're unwillingness to run the correct profile tire is going to have an affect on how low you can go.
yea. i think its where i posted at first but it got moved. I'll run over there and search around what really needs to be done beacuse i'd like to accomplish this and still pull off 20s. when these raised my car it kinda freaked me out, but like i said from a distant it looks dropped, but looking from the bottom up you could squeeze a fat man under it with no lube

Originally Posted by rkyat
even h-techs w/ the 20's look decently dropped. Spencediggy on this forum had the 20" Foose Speedsters on s-techs. Search for his thread. This was my 20's on H-techs.

thats nice. what size tire were you running

Last edited by Majestic Ken; 01-12-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Former Vendor

your not gonna find the info lookin for droppin on 20s. read up on general suspension geometry.

are you lookin for tuckin wheel low or just general drop so it looks right again? there's a huge difference.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM

maybe a little bit of both. my homeboy with a G sedan is very low on his 20s. which makes it look even hotter. i've got plans for 8mm spacers in the rear, so im thinking if i just put on the coilovers what else would i have to watch for besides axles and what not
Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Former Vendor

i'll give you the cliffs, but you really need to read.

first off, the rear. if you space your wheel out to be flush you are going to need to consider lip to lip clearance. because of the solid rear beam your wheels will not camber. cars with irs can run low and flush because as the suspension compresses the wheels cambers in and clears the 1/4 panel. also, running a stretched is basically necessary if you want to run low and flush for the same reasons. if your tire can not clear the 1/4 (which should be rolled) then you give up another 2-3" of drop.

the front; the major issues are in geometry. the obvious is the harsh angle of the cv joints which will cause accelerated wear. if you can not afford to replace a cv axle at any given time you might want to stay mild. the more technical issues have to do with camber curves and bumpsteer. i'll leave those up to you to research since my level of knowledge is definitely not high enough for me to try and explain them. i understand them well enough for my purposes but i don't want to get into feeding misinformation.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 PM

sounds as if you know your stuff so its fair enough. i was always wondering about stretching tires if it would wear as fast or not. i like the look though. i'll probably have to end up doing that. I'll get with a guy at this new shop i started going to and see what he would recommend me do also. i figure i'd run to the org 1st to get opinions. I'll definitely check over in that thread and look around
Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

I'm not tryin to put you down, but from the looks of the questions your askin, it doesnt look like our ready for coilovers. And If you do get coils, i would recomend you do an "s tech like" drop at the most.

BLACKonBLACK98 gave you some good info. Use it.

Learn how to use the TIRE SIZE CALCULATOR. It makes picking tires a whole lot easier.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

me on progress and 20s. shameless plug.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
I'm not tryin to put you down, but from the looks of the questions your askin, it doesnt look like our ready for coilovers. And If you do get coils, i would recomend you do an "s tech like" drop at the most.

BLACKonBLACK98 gave you some good info. Use it.

well thats what i said i was gonna purchase at first just to at least drop the front more but everybodys like nooo nooo those are too soft blah blah lol i think i'll just do that and be done with it. cheaper. plus i need to get the rest of the kit, prolly doesnt hang as much lower but still. i talked with one of my boys today and he was talking about trading tires. we both have new tires. he's on 225/30 and he wants to go up a size cuz its harsh. but maintains a lower look like when i had 18s. so i was thinking about trading but i change my mind

Learn how to use the TIRE SIZE CALCULATOR. It makes picking tires a whole lot easier.
Originally Posted by Torgus

me on progress and 20s. shameless plug.

yea but you also have a bodykit that hangs low like hell lol so no gap for you. at least the sideskirts

Last edited by Majestic Ken; 01-13-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM

i tried that tire calculator and i think i'm gonna try the 225/35 tires up front because it seems to be even from when i had my 245/40/18s. on top of that I'll still run the s techs
Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Banned

i fit 255/35/19s on my car before the 20s fwiw

225 sounds small...
Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Don't know if I'd go too low, Ken. You and I both know how much the roads in Dallas blow and getting stuck behind some rolling road block because their car is too low for the streets around here kind of sucks. Hate to see someone go nuts and road rage on you.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 AM

i dont care they can go around, im an a-hole just like them nah but when i did the tire calculator 225/35/20 had evened up to about where my 18s were. and theres lots of people running 225. duane is running 225/35s with no problem.