5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Which way to go for brakes...?
00/01 Brembo Blanks (Cheapest)
59.09%
04/05 Rotors/Pads/Calipers (More Expensive to Much More Expensive)
40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Opinion for Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
I'm wondering, as well. It seems to me that they'll possibly clear with spacers, but the jury's out on this one. I'd say the rotor will definitely clear, but it's the caliper that'll hit the rotor. I'll do a test-fit once I get them installed, probably with new brake fluid. 136k on the original fluid is probably look enough...
Honestly, it's hard to tell because every wheel design is different. You could have almost as much clearance as my 17's did. If I were you, I'd at least go and check the measurement shown in the link I posted and see if your wheel has enough clearance. That way, you won't be buying parts for nothing. Offset you can fix through the use of wheel spacers...if the diameter is too small, however, you're gonna need some new wheels. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:14 PM

By the way, those with the '02-'03 SE wheels, here is how the 6th gen brakes clear:

Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Honestly, it's hard to tell because every wheel design is different. You could have almost as much clearance as my 17's did. If I were you, I'd at least go and check the measurement shown in the link I posted and see if your wheel has enough clearance. That way, you won't be buying parts for nothing. Offset you can fix through the use of wheel spacers...if the diameter is too small, however, you're gonna need some new wheels. Good luck!
Oh, trust me, I've checked that link to see that the rotors/calipers stick out about 7 and 5/8" or so... It's the perpindicular to the "end" of the rotor/caliper assembly that I'm concerned about. Actually, if someone could measure from the center to either end of the caliper...

By the way, those with the '02-'03 SE wheels, here is how the 6th gen brakes clear:

Holy crap! That's some ridiculously tight clearance! I knew some people had reported them barely clearing, but damn!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:23 PM

Oh, trust me, I've checked that link to see that the rotors/calipers stick out about 7 and 5/8" or so... It's the perpindicular to the "end" of the rotor/caliper assembly that I'm concerned about. Actually, if someone could measure from the center to either end of the caliper...
I think we're talking about the same measurement. Unless you're talking about the measurement from the face of the rotor to the inside of the wheel spoke? If so that has more to do with the wheel offset/spoke design and can be remedied by use of a wheel spacer.

If you are, indeed, referring to the same thing I am, you're talking about the distance from the very center of the hub to the outer-most edge of the caliper (measuring radially to determine the smallest inner diameter your wheel can have), then that is 7 5/8". If the inner diameter of your wheel is smaller than that, the brakes won't fit.

Hope that cleared up any confusion.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:49 PM

since this thread about converting the 6th gens' brakes into 5 and 5.5 gens, i would like to get some input about the spacers. i have '00 with 17" wheels. i have read if those brakes dont fit under '00 and '01 17 wheels. in order to make them fit, i need to have spacers. so my question is this: which size of wheel spacers do i need? 5mm, 10mm, 15mm, or, etc.

thanks
Old 02-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I think we're talking about the same measurement. Unless you're talking about the measurement from the face of the rotor to the inside of the wheel spoke? If so that has more to do with the wheel offset/spoke design and can be remedied by use of a wheel spacer.

If you are, indeed, referring to the same thing I am, you're talking about the distance from the very center of the hub to the outer-most edge of the caliper (measuring radially to determine the smallest inner diameter your wheel can have), then that is 7 5/8". If the inner diameter of your wheel is smaller than that, the brakes won't fit.

Exactly, the latter: From the center of the hub to the outermost edge of the caliper. If that is 7-5/8", then a 16" wheel should clear, as that distance should be 8". Spacers may be necessary, depending on the offset, of course. I've seen it mentioned to try the 300Z 16" wheels (either 7.5" or 8.5") to avoid using spacers.

Edit: Didn't realize you had taken the photo in this thread!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:29 PM

Exactly, the latter: From the center of the hub to the outermost edge of the caliper. If that is 7-5/8", then a 16" wheel should clear, as that distance should be 8". Spacers may be necessary, depending on the offset, of course. I've seen it mentioned to try the 300Z 16" wheels (either 7.5" or 8.5") to avoid using spacers.

Edit: Didn't realize you had taken the photo in this thread!
This may be true, but the curvature of the inside of the wheel may not be exactly 16". I would definitely measure just in case. Won't take but 10 minutes.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

This may be true, but the curvature of the inside of the wheel may not be exactly 16". I would definitely measure just in case. Won't take but 10 minutes.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh... I see, said the blind man. You mean to measure the inner diameter of the rim... I'm going out to the shed right now!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

Update: That's a negative, Ghostrider. The inner diameter of the 00-01 5-spoke 16 is right at 7", which is 5/8" shorter than necessary. Crap. Guess it's time to go shopping for a pair of lightweight 17s and some fat AX rubber...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:26 PM
BARF

I just did the 2005 front brake upgrade and here is what i did and the price.

$42.50 each for new 05 front calipers (work discount)

All from AuToMaX_95
$100 for the Front 2k5 xdrilled/slotted rotors
$80 for the Front hawk hps
$85 for RTP xdrilled/slotted rotors
$64 for Rear hawk hps pads
$45 for shipping

Picture of the parts:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...icture0071.jpg
Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Revs2hard, did you use your 00/01 brake line to hook up to the 04+ calipers?

I just got the 05 calipers/rotors and dear God these things are heavy! I didn't fully realize how freakin' massive the newer Maxima hardware is! Unfortunately, the rotors were basically covered in rust, so I need to spend some QT on them with a steel brush and see how usable they are. The calipers should be OK, though.