5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed intake, now it hesitates.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Installed intake, now it hesitates.

I bought an Injen off a local maxima forum for my 2000, and decided to install it today. The think is my Max is parked for the winter, but I just could not wait to put it in. So I went at it. Everything went fine, but I had a problem connecting the temp sensor because the pervious owner had it located at a different location on the intake. It was a 2001 I30. So I did not connect the Temp sensor. Anyways, I went to go start the car, and no problem. But I noticed the idle dropped as soon as I started it, and then went back to normal. I gave it some gas, but the car hesitated and died. I started it a total of 3 times, and the same thing every time. Ca it be my MAF, can the fact I don't have my intake temp sensor in the piping make a difference?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Got Retrofit?

Put the temp sensor somewhere in the filter and see if that solves the problem.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:31 PM

did this problem happen before you put the intake on too??
Old 02-09-2009, 04:46 PM

So you hadn't started it at all until AFTER you installed the aftermarket intake? The IAT sensor location won't matter on a cold start. If you check all the hoses and intake duct clamps for being connected and tight and the MAF is installed correctly, then I'm wondering if your intake has anything at all to do with this. Where is the MAP sensor right now.......still on the intake scoop? IF you're satisfied that everything is installed correctly, then with the IGN. sw. OFF, disconnect the battery neg. cable for a minute or so and then reconnect it, then try to start it again and see what happens. How old is the battery?
Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
So you hadn't started it at all until AFTER you installed the aftermarket intake? The IAT sensor location won't matter on a cold start. If you check all the hoses and intake duct clamps for being connected and tight and the MAF is installed correctly, then I'm wondering if your intake has anything at all to do with this. Where is the MAP sensor right now.......still on the intake scoop? IF you're satisfied that everything is installed correctly, then with the IGN. sw. OFF, disconnect the battery neg. cable for a minute or so and then reconnect it, then try to start it again and see what happens. How old is the battery?
I did start my car after the intake install. Before the install, the car was fine. I insured all my connections are correct, and connected. The only thing that is not connected into the intake in the ITS. I believe that the battery is about a year old. I did disconnect the battery for this install. When I give it gas, it idles about 600rpm more, but then hesitates and dies.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM

Hmm, I had the same problem on my 98. Turned out I didn;t plug the MAF back in. I'm sure you thought about that, but I had the same symptoms and it was MAF related.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Well, you won't like it, but you can easily prove if it's the Injen intake, by reinstalling the OEM intake (just hook everything up without actually bolting it it place). It would be really a fluke if your MAF has just failed during this installation. Refresh my memory here........the Injen intake uses the original OEM MAF housing or does the MAF sensor now reside in the Injen air inlet tube? And all three of the air hoses that were attached to the OEM intake adaptor between the MAF housing and the TB are now connected to the Injen intake?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 PM

If you didn't plug the air temp sensor into the CAI tube what in the hole now? Sounds like an air leak to me here a picture of my Injen Intake even though it's a 03 no air temp sensor...
http://
Hope this help you....check all your clamps and connections
Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Well, you won't like it, but you can easily prove if it's the Injen intake, by reinstalling the OEM intake (just hook everything up without actually bolting it it place). It would be really a fluke if your MAF has just failed during this installation. Refresh my memory here........the Injen intake uses the original OEM MAF housing or does the MAF sensor now reside in the Injen air inlet tube? And all three of the air hoses that were attached to the OEM intake adaptor between the MAF housing and the TB are now connected to the Injen intake?
yes, it uses the OEM MAF sensor. all 3 OEM hoses are attached to the injen intake, and yes the housing and the TB are connected to the injen intake.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM

Sounds like a air leak to me...Hopefully your not having an issue with your IACV like me
Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 PM
retired moderator

whatever the problem turns out to be, you'll be better off going back to stock or GAB from the Injen....by far the worst intake for the VQ30 cars in terms of performance. If you got it just for looks.....carry on.

As to your problem: the MAF is a fairly fragile assembly....it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that you damaged it internally during removal/installation.

unplug it and see if the car will start in "safe" mode. If the car starts with the MAF unplugged, then you've solved your problem and need a new MAF. If not...it's something else.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:40 PM

great advice here.

stick with stock.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by dewd
great advice here.

stick with stock.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 AM
It's business time.

My first MAF blew immediately after installing the Berk Intake.

I've installed and removed the intake dozens of times and have since gone to GAB since then on the second MAF without any problems.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:47 AM

GAB > aftermarket FTW!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 PM

UPDATE. I disconnected the MAF and tried starting it. And yes, it started, but still had the same symtoms as before. I may of touched the screen of the MAF when I installed the intake. So new MAF?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM

The screen? You mean the air staightening screen of the MAF housing? As long as you didn't somehow contact the actual MAF sensor element, or possibly dropped it, then I doubt that you've physically damaged it. Can you not keep the engine running by adding some throttle long enough to get it "warmed up"? How long has it actually run? Does it quit in Neutral or does it quit when you put it in Drive or start letting out the clutch?

Last edited by P. Samson; 02-10-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
Old 02-10-2009, 02:24 PM

The screen? You mean the air staightening screen of the MAF housing? As long as you didn't somehow contact the actual MAF sensor element, or possibly dropped it, then I doubt that you've physically damaged it. Can you not keep the engine running by adding some throttle long enough to get it "warmed up"? How long has it actually run? Does it quit in Neutral or does it quit when you put it in Drive or start letting out the clutch?
It only dies when I give it gas. Other then that, it does not die.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:50 PM

We could carry on all day on this, but the fact appears to be that the ECM is not adding fuel, or enough fuel when you start to open the throttle because it isn't seeing the increase in airflow and/or the idle A/F mixture is so lean that just the initial cracking of the throttle and the increase in airflow is enough to cause an immediate flameout. MAF?......possibly and logically, but IF it didn't have this issue just prior to you installing this intake, I'm still suspicious about that theory. But, again, you can prove it out by reinstalling the stock intake. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence above by having you check your installation, but any air leaks between the MAF and the TB, and any vacuum leaks cause nothing but problems. And I did figure that you had connected it to the TB! Other than spending big bucks on a new MAF or simply going back to stock at no cost for troubleshooting or permanent installation, I've run out of ideas. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that a couple of the chaps above suggested going back to stock, but for the daily driver the stock intake is the way to go. There is FSM service data and troubleshooting info on the MAF but it pretty much requires accessing the ECM and probing some ECM terminals with a multi/voltmeter, which is a PITA. The Absolute Pressure sensor that is/was bolted to the stock intake scoop.......the hose is still connected to it?

Last edited by P. Samson; 02-10-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:45 PM

We could carry on all day on this, but the fact appears to be that the ECM is not adding fuel, or enough fuel when you start to open the throttle because it isn't seeing the increase in airflow and/or the idle A/F mixture is so lean that just the initial cracking of the throttle and the increase in airflow is enough to cause an immediate flameout. MAF?......possibly and logically, but IF it didn't have this issue just prior to you installing this intake, I'm still suspicious about that theory. But, again, you can prove it out by reinstalling the stock intake. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence above by having you check your installation, but any air leaks between the MAF and the TB, and any vacuum leaks cause nothing but problems. And I did figure that you had connected it to the TB! Other than spending big bucks on a new MAF or simply going back to stock at no cost for troubleshooting or permanent installation, I've run out of ideas. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that a couple of the chaps above suggested going back to stock, but for the daily driver the stock intake is the way to go. There is FSM service data and troubleshooting info on the MAF but it pretty much requires accessing the ECM and probing some ECM terminals with a multi/voltmeter, which is a PITA. The Absolute Pressure sensor that is/was bolted to the stock intake scoop.......the hose is still connected to it?
I really appreciate your help. I got the intake for a good price, so I think I want to try it out before I go back to stock, and know for myself that this intake is garbage. I will put back the stock intake tomorrow, and start troubleshooting. I will take pics or a video to easier understand the problem. My car was perfect before the intake install, so I'm guessing somewhere along that time I may have not installed it properly or damaged something. I'm off work, so I will try to figure it out tomorrow. Maybe you guys are right...I'm already starting to hate this injen intake!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:41 AM

UPDATE!!! I put my stock intake back in, and it worked fine. So I reinstalled the injen, made sure all the connections are correct, and it worked! I'm guessing is was a poor connection somewhere. Problem solved.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
It's business time.

Congrats! Feels good to troubleshoot your own problems, eh?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
whatever the problem turns out to be, you'll be better off going back to stock or GAB from the Injen....by far the worst intake for the VQ30 cars in terms of performance. If you got it just for looks.....carry on.
How so just curious
Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Toolie

Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
oh no not you lol
Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MR.Large
oh no not you lol
LOL ... to funny