5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ECU reset question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 PM

ECU reset question

Ok, so I have a 2k3 maxima, and I swapped the MAF for a new 2k1 MAF and transferred the IAT over to the new MAF. Afterwords I got the P0113 code for the IAT circuit. So I drove around with it for a while (about a month) and I figured it's time to reset my ECU to get rid of that code. I did the ECU reset procedure as follows:

1. Turn the key to the ON position, wait 3 seconds.
2. Fully press and fully release the gas pedal 5 times within 5 seconds.
3. Wait 7 seconds.
4. Hold the gas pedal in for 10 seconds until SES light starts blinking...

The light never blinked. I made sure the engine was fully warmed up every time, and I tried it multiple times, and I could never get the SES light to start blinking. I continued with the process anyway, but the SES light is still there. What's going on? Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 PM
No more Maximas...

Your timing is off. It's a PITA, but you have to be precise.

Merlyn never could get his done right, though it was quite amusing to see him beat the hell out of his gas pedal for a half hour...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:37 AM

^^lol..i just bought a code reader/eraser off amazon for like 60bux, dont have to deal with killing the gas pedal!
Old 02-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The procedure takes many tries to get the timing right, just be patient. Or you can just go to a local auto parts place and have them clear the codes for you.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
The procedure takes many tries to get the timing right, just be patient. Or you can just go to a local auto parts place and have them clear the codes for you.
oh going to autozone and having the codes cleared would be the same as resetting the ECU? i didnt know that.. i already did that after the O2 sim installation to make sure the O2 codes were gone.. and the guy cleared the codes, but the IAT sensor code came back so i guess that means i really have a bad IAT then? crap.. i asked daveb when i was on the phone with him, and he said they didnt make any replacement IATs.. so what are my options from here?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think it is the same, but I just thought you wanted to clear the codes. Unplugging the battery for more than 24 hours and using a generic scan tool will definitely clear the emissions-related DTCs, but I'm pretty sure those do not actually erase the ECM memory, which is what the procedure does.

Here are two more of the same procedures to check your steps:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

EDIT: pretty sure, but don't have time to look up FSM right now.

As for the IAT thing, maybe try a junkyard for a cheap MAF that you can pull the IAT from?

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 02-12-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 AM
大陆弟弟

To date I've never reset my ECU since it auto adapts anyways, is there any real benefit to resetting it other than the old school thought of letting it learn fresh after mods?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 AM

1.Remember, when you count "one", it's actually means "zero".
2.If you did everything right, the last count (manual says 10sec) usually lasts longer. Just wait till it starts blinking.

Last edited by boris; 02-12-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:39 AM

Like others, I invested in a code reader which does the job in 15 seconds.

It's also a must-have for reading Check Engine Light codes.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM

I don't think it is the same, but I just thought you wanted to clear the codes. Unplugging the battery for more than 24 hours and using a generic scan tool will definitely clear the emissions-related DTCs, but I'm pretty sure those do not actually erase the ECM memory, which is what the procedure does.

Here are two more of the same procedures to check your steps:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

EDIT: pretty sure, but don't have time to look up FSM right now.

As for the IAT thing, maybe try a junkyard for a cheap MAF that you can pull the IAT from?

Ok, thanx. See, I was under the impression that resetting the ECU would correct any SES light issues that were MAF related after the MAF and IAT switch. I must have damaged the IAT in some way during the switch. But that's weird, because I paid very careful attenton to what I was doing, and I didn't even touch that little circle in the middle... and it didn't drop anywhere either. The wires got a little bent, but I thought was long as they were in tact (which they are) then I would be good to go since they're just responsible for sending/receiving electrical signals from the actual sensor (that circle in the middle) right?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:04 PM

I went to auto zone to clear a code yesterday and they said their company policy said they couldn't clear the codes anymore because they couldn't actually verify that the work had been done. He also declared there was a chance it could erase the ecu too. This guy was kind of a tard, but i was wondering if anybody else had trouble getting their codes cleared at auto zone lately?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Most won't clear codes because people do it to pass their inspections. Thats what I was told the last time I went. I had just had my inspection and the guy didn't put the gas cap on tight enough and it threw an evap code and they still wouldn't clear it for me even when I showed them the slip from less than an hour before.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Feldman
I went to auto zone to clear a code yesterday and they said their company policy said they couldn't clear the codes anymore because they couldn't actually verify that the work had been done. He also declared there was a chance it could erase the ecu too. This guy was kind of a tard, but i was wondering if anybody else had trouble getting their codes cleared at auto zone lately?
Yup, that their policy now. They do that for the inspection reason and because say they clear a code and something happens to the car, you know how people are now a days... "AUTO ZONE DID SOMETHING TO MY CAR AND IT MESSED IT UP!!" so they try to avoid that, too.

Thankfully, I know a guy that works there so he just clears them for me anyway
Old 02-15-2009, 09:58 PM

I would hate to live in a state with inspections...

Good ole Tennessee as long as it has wheels you can drive it
Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 AM

Does that gas pedal procedure apply to the 2000-2001 models also since its not the 3.5? Just out of curiousity....
Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by klemenz
I would hate to live in a state with inspections...

Good ole Tennessee as long as it has wheels you can drive it
Nashville and its surrounding counties all have emissions testing since 1993.

Enjoy it while it lasts It is surely coming your way in the future. Chattanooga got it a couple years ago.