5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman 3" catback

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Law
Do you have a part number for them?
can get them! But they normal have a book at NAPA for application which includes every single exhaust mount on our car! Getting that banging during hard right turn yet? Sound like a cv axle but it that exhaust swinging into that bpipe exhaust mount stub!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by CMax03
can get them! But they normal have a book at NAPA for application which includes every single exhaust mount on our car! Getting that banging during hard right turn yet? Sound like a cv axle but it that exhaust swinging into that bpipe exhaust mount stub!
Yeah its hitting the underbody of the car right where the axle-back and bpipe meet. I'm going to try new mounts to see if that helps it or not.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:02 AM

bpipe-exh35460
rear muffler- exh35725
These mount are stiff and tough! You might need to add one more mount and hangar on that side to help support it better since the tolerance is even less now! Or wrap your pipe with exhaust wrap and you won't hear it hitting anymore!

Last edited by CMax03; 08-13-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 AM
I R The Law

bpipe-exh35460
rear muffler- exh35725
These mount are stiff and tough! You might need to add one more mount and hangar on that side to help support it better since the tolerance is even less now! Or wrap your pipe with exhaust wrap and you would hear it hitting anymore!

I just hope the store has it. I'll see once I get them installed.

Last edited by The Law; 08-13-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 AM

I just hope the store has it. I'll see once I get them installed.
Or order from thier online store! It has pictures!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 AM
I R The Law

Or order from thier online store! It has pictures!
I'm going to call the other store that is by my work and see if they carry it.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Here are some thoughts about fitment that might be useful to some.

First, and most important, make sure the resonator section is right side up!!! It looks straight, but isn't quite, and if its wrong side up it will subtly throw off the alignment of the entire catback. Identifying the proper orientation is easy since we put a welding bead on the tube right behind the front flange (that bolts to the car). That bead should at 12 o'clock on the car side, not the ground side (6 o'clock).

Of course, there's less clearance with a 3" system, but keep in mind that if the resonator is in the proper position, a rattle can usually be solved by loosening the bolts at the flanges and slightly re-aligning the sections by using the play in the bolt holes.

A bit of exhaust expertise can come in handy when doing a realignment - customers often self-install and then take it in to their favorite exhaust expert to get it aligned just right.

Those NAPA mounts sound just great - the more solid the better!

Finally, I've tried the radiator clamp in the past and that approach can work real well. I put the clamp around the outside of the hanger, so it still has the rubber cushion but the clamp prevents excessive movement.

Brian
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by Cattman
Here are some thoughts about fitment that might be useful to some.

First, and most important, make sure the resonator section is right side up!!! It looks straight, but isn't quite, and if its wrong side up it will subtly throw off the alignment of the entire catback. Identifying the proper orientation is easy since we put a welding bead on the tube right behind the front flange (that bolts to the car). That bead should at 12 o'clock on the car side, not the ground side (6 o'clock).

Of course, there's less clearance with a 3" system, but keep in mind that if the resonator is in the proper position, a rattle can usually be solved by loosening the bolts at the flanges and slightly re-aligning the sections by using the play in the bolt holes.

A bit of exhaust expertise can come in handy when doing a realignment - customers often self-install and then take it in to their favorite exhaust expert to get it aligned just right.

Those NAPA mounts sound just great - the more solid the better!

Finally, I've tried the radiator clamp in the past and that approach can work real well. I put the clamp around the outside of the hanger, so it still has the rubber cushion but the clamp prevents excessive movement.

Brian
I made sure that I read everything correctly and I even had help installing the exhaust. I'm going to try the new mounts to see if it solves the problem. Cause I know that everything was done correctly and everything lined up perfectly, I just think that the mounts are worn out and give TOO much play.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I R The Law

So I went to napa today, well the part exh35725 isn't a solid piece. It looks just like the oem mount.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:02 PM

What were the corrected numbers? The correction logarithms in the dyno software that account for the three "weather" variables - temp, humidity and atmospheric pressure - aren't perfect and they vary between dyno machine companies, but better than dead reckoning. Temp is the #1 factor of the three, but unfortunately a lot of dyno shops don't measure or look up the humidity. Did the same technician do the run each time and were you on the same tank, or at least brand/grade, of gas? These factors are actually quite important.

Brian

Let's see:

Same Tech
Fuel - Same Grade/Station - New tank
Numbers are not corrected - I guess I should go ask about that.
The humidity is listed for both runs but I'm not sure if the computer calculated it or if it's old data. This was my first dyno run so I don't really know much about the machine.

the weather varies so drastically out here it's nearly impossible to get close to the same conditions. I miss CA so much
Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by maxurlife
Let's see:

Same Tech
Fuel - Same Grade/Station - New tank
Numbers are not corrected - I guess I should go ask about that.
The humidity is listed for both runs but I'm not sure if the computer calculated it or if it's old data. This was my first dyno run so I don't really know much about the machine.

the weather varies so drastically out here it's nearly impossible to get close to the same conditions. I miss CA so much
Was there gain throughout the powerband?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM

Yeah its hitting the underbody of the car right where the axle-back and bpipe meet. I'm going to try new mounts to see if that helps it or not.
i have the same thing with my 3"... i hear it banging every time i go around a bumpy turn.. but bumps or turns alone dont make it hit

and i'm glad somebody posted part numbers for that y-pipe exhaust hanger, cause i broke mine wheel hopping at the track!! lol
Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 PM

So I went to napa today, well the part exh35725 isn't a solid piece. It looks just like the oem mount.
Sorry I got my mounts mixed up with the Nismo in the same bag and some fell out of thier boxes. But the NAPA mount are just as stiff as the Nismo brand if not stiffer, it should help control that big pipe of yours! Try twisting that ****...they're way stiffer than Oem!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Was there gain throughout the powerband?
Dyno says not until you get around 5500-6000. But everything seems to respond so flawlessly I guess it may have something to do with vaccum/more airflow in and out. That although my horsepower gains were "minimal" by the computer. the butt dyno and the distance between me and the other guy says differently. I plan on adding a turbo; but even without one I don't think I'd change my mind on the 3" for a basically stock system. Especially once I get the other add-on's (headers, test pipe and of course the tune). that is probably my biggest mistake right now. Not having a tune.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:44 PM

On the Track after Installing my 3" Catback

Hi Guys: I went to the track last week w/ my son, and both of us did not get a good ET, his ET was in the 2.3 60' on MT street tires, and I did 2.35 & 2.48, and what ever I do I break loose 1st & 2nd w/ Nittos DR 20psi, and the Tockico Illumina adjusted @ fronts 3 rears 5. Last Summer I did 13.36mph @ 106.87. Now after installing the 3" catback, I'm sure I have gained between 15 & 20 Whp, and to prove my point I will get it on the same dyno, and let you know, also I will get the slicks, and show you another Video with a better E.T.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...and_702177.htm
Old 08-29-2009, 11:39 PM

from looking online the solid exhaust hangers are EXH35460(same price as the ones you looked at). They look like they will not budge, which is good.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
from looking online the solid exhaust hangers are EXH35460(same price as the ones you looked at). They look like they will not budge, which is good.
Those were found on the rear muffler right? Even the 375's are super stiff....
Old 08-29-2009, 11:56 PM

Those were found on the rear muffler right? Even the 375's are super stiff....
yeah, looks like it will work for all 3 of the muffler hangers( or exhaust insulators as napa calls them).
Old 08-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
yeah, looks like it will work for all 3 of the muffler hangers( or exhaust insulators as napa calls them).
Go to the store and search thru thier exhaust manual...there are lot of parts that you can find from other cars for special projects for the cheap! Those Nismo are heavy duty but not totally bullet proof for the money spent ...the Napa's are just as durable if not more! Go to the store and do the twist test Napa's hangars are super stiff and the hole is super tight so it won't slide around on the hangar once installed. My Cattman 2.5" exhaust I noticed would contact something in extreme hard high speed, high G, right hand turns...My Nismo rubber hangar was allowing the exhaust hangar to slide thru the rubber hangar and contact the chassis hangar mount with the bpipe. So I shimmed them with old rubber shock mount rubbers and i haven't heard a dam thing since. I love taking thing these highway clovers turns as fast as I can so far 60-65 mph no tire squeal yet!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 AM

scmax2000: Keep us posted!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Play with my balls

What's the verdict on this? Is there anyone still signing up for this catback? I'm on the list and need an exhaust. Would like to see more people in so I can hurry up and get this in.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
What's the verdict on this? Is there anyone still signing up for this catback? I'm on the list and need an exhaust. Would like to see more people in so I can hurry up and get this in.
According to Brian, production should resume in November. I think he said he needed two more to sign up.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
According to Brian, production should resume in November. I think he said he needed two more to sign up.
oh man.. i would love to jump on the wagon for that.. but i wouldnt be able to come up with the funds till after the new year.. so..
Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Good Deal!

Originally Posted by mist max2000
oh man.. i would love to jump on the wagon for that.. but i wouldnt be able to come up with the funds till after the new year.. so..
It'll take a few weeks for them to produce them after the goal has been reached, and also Brian doesn't charge your card until they are shipped out. Jump on the Chariot!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

If we get too late in the year, the production will shift to January - don't want to pay tax on year-end inventory, so we want to have bare shelves on 31 December. That said, we'd be happy to do a small batch of 3" catbacks before then, but I'd need at least 8 orders to do that before the end of the year.

Brian
Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Play with my balls

If we get too late in the year, the production will shift to January - don't want to pay tax on year-end inventory, so we want to have bare shelves on 31 December. That said, we'd be happy to do a small batch of 3" catbacks before then, but I'd need at least 8 orders to do that before the end of the year.

Brian
Thanks Brian. Anything to get this moving faster for the few that are awaiting would be great. How many do we have at the moment, and how many more do we need?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM

to the people with banging problems, seriously try the hose clamps method. You can put the clamps on every hangar and use the adjustability in the clamps to move the exhaust quite a bit. Even if you only hit in one place, messing around with all the hangars will make it pretty easy to avoid that. An added bonus is that you can make the muffler sit really still, even during wheel hopping, which obviously will help you keep from ruining exhaust gaskets while your exhaust is hopping around (and you wont look like a huge ricer having your exhaust flail around)
Old 10-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Gemner
to the people with banging problems, seriously try the hose clamps method. You can put the clamps on every hangar and use the adjustability in the clamps to move the exhaust quite a bit. Even if you only hit in one place, messing around with all the hangars will make it pretty easy to avoid that. An added bonus is that you can make the muffler sit really still, even during wheel hopping, which obviously will help you keep from ruining exhaust gaskets while your exhaust is hopping around (and you wont look like a huge ricer having your exhaust flail around)
What is this wheel hop you speak of?

Chime in here hotshot about the HLSD
Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 PM

Lol. It's for noobs
Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 AM

Brian
sounds good to me sorry others who are waiting.. but after the new year.. i will be in
Old 10-20-2009, 01:14 AM
And... I'm out

In regards to the "fitment issues" some of you are experiencing:

Listening to Brian is your best bet. I didn't want to listen because I thought there was no room for play in the exhaust and that the half inch adjusting it would give me was not enough.

I got under my car, loosened every bolt from the cat back had pmohr holding the muffler and different sections solid while I moved / aligned different parts.

i.e he held the b-pipe while I moved the straight pipe to see what clearance that gave me.

Before that I tried a ton of things to get the rattling to go away, after spending an hour on my back aligning the 3" I didn't hear another rattle...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 AM
And... I'm out

You could go this route... except with my limited expertise, there is a reason exhaust mounts have play in them, and that is because they are not suppose to be mounted in 1 location. Due to the motion of the engine... the exhaust needs to have play in it or else something could / will snap (a hanger, a flex section in your y-pipe, etc). Also by doing this there is no fluid motion to the exhaust anymore, no way for the mounts to cushion a jolt from another area... I would read my above post for a better solution.

just my 2 cents
Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Sorry to bring a dead thread back, but has anyone dynod yet? i see maxlife's dyno but its pretty much useless to have an uncorrected dyno that only states some peak numbers...I really want to see a real comparison here
Old 11-04-2009, 09:21 PM
And... I'm out

Sorry to bring a dead thread back, but has anyone dynod yet? i see maxlife's dyno but its pretty much useless to have an uncorrected dyno that only states some peak numbers...I really want to see a real comparison here
http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...44-ft-lbs.html

This link was posted on the first page of this thread...

2.5 Inch Exhaust
4,500 RPM 191.88 HP 223.94 Torque
5,000 RPM 216.38 HP 227.29 Torque
5,500 RPM 231.13 HP 220.72 Torque
6,000 RPM 237.81 HP 208.17 Torque
6,500 RPM 221.92 HP 179.33 Torque

3.0 Inch Exhaust
4,500 RPM 209.32 HP 244.30 Torque
5,000 RPM 232.01 HP 243.71 Torque
5,500 RPM 244.90 HP 233.87 Torque
6,000 RPM 244.15 HP 213.72 Torque
6,500 RPM 239.31 HP 193.39 Torque

some numbers for you as well

and to quote my friend pmohr (don't take any of it personal as it was directed at someone else)
The '07 runs are 2.5", '08 runs are 3". Did you look at any of the runs?

Hell, did you read the thread? First page: http://forums.maxima.org/6241702-post29.html

Sure, it doesn't state specifically that it's 2.5" vs 3". However if we use our reading skills, we go down to this post: http://forums.maxima.org/6249548-post33.html

To which we find the answer directly following: http://forums.maxima.org/6249980-post34.html

What I'm saying is, if you actually read the thread, you won't have to ask questions that have already been well explained.

Last edited by Merlyn; 11-04-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:10 PM

Those WOT #'s are impressive, what's the part throttle street operation like? Anyone please!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Merlyn
http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...44-ft-lbs.html

This link was posted on the first page of this thread...

2.5 Inch Exhaust
4,500 RPM 191.88 HP 223.94 Torque
5,000 RPM 216.38 HP 227.29 Torque
5,500 RPM 231.13 HP 220.72 Torque
6,000 RPM 237.81 HP 208.17 Torque
6,500 RPM 221.92 HP 179.33 Torque

3.0 Inch Exhaust
4,500 RPM 209.32 HP 244.30 Torque
5,000 RPM 232.01 HP 243.71 Torque
5,500 RPM 244.90 HP 233.87 Torque
6,000 RPM 244.15 HP 213.72 Torque
6,500 RPM 239.31 HP 193.39 Torque

some numbers for you as well

and to quote my friend pmohr (don't take any of it personal as it was directed at someone else)
I was intending to say besides yours. Since your dyno seems to be the only one that is actually a fair comparison, I was hoping there would be a sort of confirmation dyno by someone else. Two dynos are always better than one, and I would think that with the number of systems that have gone out that there would be something by now
Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brian, PM'd
Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Play with my balls

I'm bumping this thread to create more interest and orders to get this going. If I could buy one without you guys it would have been bought already. Need more peeps in on this deal!

Brian- What's our numbers look like now? How many do we have, and how many do we need to get this rolling.

Anyone out there with one already wanting to sell theirs, shoot me a message. New batch looks indefinite until we get more headcounts.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM

Not trying to bash on the product but it is too pricey for my budget. If I couldn't build my own, I would have jumped the gun on the group deal.

Bump for the thread to get more people in on it
Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 AM

Wasn't there suppose to be a before and after dyno the OP was suppose to do???

Quick Reply: Cattman 3" catback