5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thoughts, 2k1 vs 2002 Max, what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 01:47 PM
RussMaxManiac

Thoughts, 2k1 vs 2002 Max, what you think?

Man, I am having a hard time now trying to keep myself from getting the new 2002 6spd Max. I just want to get rid of the car payment and keep a car, but that 6spd 255hp sounds so nice!!

If someone got 23k for a 2k trade, I could at least get 22k. But still, I dunno if it is really worth it. I love my Max, hasn't given me any problems, got 12k of miles now, its fast for what it is, it gets me there, hate black color though, but its bad *** looking when its clean.

I soon to have HID 2k2 lights installed , and other goodies. I am just rambling on here, but can't decide what I want to do.

My 2k1 seats are much more supportive than the 2k2s (more sportier feeling), instead of luxury feeling like the new ones. I like my gauges better, and tail lights. Uggg help!

Old 11-18-2001, 02:02 PM

Re: Thoughts, 2k1 vs 2002 Max, what you think?

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Man, I am having a hard time now trying to keep myself from getting the new 2002 6spd Max. I just want to get rid of the car payment and keep a car, but that 6spd 255hp sounds so nice!!

If someone got 23k for a 2k trade, I could at least get 22k. But still, I dunno if it is really worth it. I love my Max, hasn't given me any problems, got 12k of miles now, its fast for what it is, it gets me there, hate black color though, but its bad *** looking when its clean.

I soon to have HID 2k2 lights installed , and other goodies. I am just rambling on here, but can't decide what I want to do.

My 2k1 seats are much more supportive than the 2k2s (more sportier feeling), instead of luxury feeling like the new ones. I like my gauges better, and tail lights. Uggg help!
eh, i hear u dude.. but my feeling is you're never gonna be satisfied with the car, there's always gonna be the latest and the greatest out there.. just keep what u got and keep with the mods. sure the bigger engine and hp sounds nice, what hey what do u really need it for??
Old 11-18-2001, 02:05 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Thoughts, 2k1 vs 2002 Max, what you think?

Originally posted by drudawg888

eh, i hear u dude.. but my feeling is you're never gonna be satisfied with the car, there's always gonna be the latest and the greatest out there.. just keep what u got and keep with the mods. sure the bigger engine and hp sounds nice, what hey what do u really need it for??
True, unless I plan on racing everyone out there! lol

Old 11-18-2001, 02:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Thoughts, 2k1 vs 2002 Max, what you think?

True, unless I plan on racing everyone out there! lol
yeah, wish we all had the time to do that.
Old 11-18-2001, 06:02 PM
Got Bent?

again?
Old 11-18-2001, 06:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Im Happy with my 2K1

I have a 2K1 also and I am very satisfied with the 222 horses under the hood. I can't think of a reason why I would need the extra horses since I only baby my car anyway. Don't get me wrong, I do step on the peddle every so often when needed, but I don't abuse it. When I do step on the peddle, I can't believe the power it delivers and scares the hell out of me to think what would happen if I lost control. -I have people with Hondas and Acuras pulling asside me racing their engines inviting me to race, but I just cruise my car. Supense kills those who wonder what my car can do, but my stock car was only made for me to cruise. -I already know what my car can do, so what is there to prove? I am mainly concerned on keeping my car clean and keeping that show room shine. Think about it..., If I race my car, I will probably get paint chips on the hood and that would hurt me deep inside to see my baby injured. Bottom line is, I LOVE MY CAR the way it is....!!!!!
Old 11-18-2001, 10:27 PM

Good point Tito. If you know the car will win, then no need to race. Same as when you know you can fight someone and win, then no need to fight. Besides, Mr. Miagi said fighting no good :-)

Still, knowing that I can win I still can't turn down invitations easily. Boys will be boys I guess.

RUSS: Keep the one you have. IT's nice!
Old 11-18-2001, 10:49 PM

A word of advice....all of us here at the dealership laugh every time we sell a new Maxima. We laugh because we know that the person who just drove off in that 2K2 will be kickin themselves in the pants when next year rolls around and the all new Max comes out. With the all new re-design and the major increase in power in the works, its a stupid mistake to go for the 2K2 when all you have to do is wait. If you got a 2K1, just keep it and mod it and be happy with it. Then, when the 2K3's come out, youll be the one grinning from ear to ear when you roll up next to last years model and the driver drools over your new toy. Save your money for a good down payment. Thats what Im doing.......
Old 11-19-2001, 07:53 AM

Be sure to take plenty of pics for me to drool to also Maxima-Ness, hehe. This is my first Maxima and my old car was going to pieces and the cost of ownership exceeded that of the car's worth, so I needed a car ASAP, I have always loved the 5th generation model, and it was nice that the 2k2 came out when I was ready to buy one, I've heard alot about the 03 model from the dealer, but im the collective type, im happy with the power, but even happier that I own the last model of the 5th gen with all the finalized stylings, and im sure the owner of the 2k maxima likes his since it was the FIRST of its kind body style. 2003 will be awesome, Im probably going to kick myself for not waiting, but Im getting an Infiniti in 2 more years so just enjoy your max whatever year it is, and save up for that new one which makes YOU happier.
Old 11-19-2001, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness

We laugh because we know that the person who just drove off in that 2K2 will be kickin themselves in the pants when next year rolls around and the all new Max comes out. With the all new re-design and the major increase in power in the works, its a stupid mistake to go for the 2K2 when all you have to do is wait. Then, when the 2K3's come out, youll be the one grinning from ear to ear when you roll up next to last years model and the driver drools over your new toy. Save your money for a good down payment. Thats what Im doing.......
i won't be kickin' MYself b/c i have to have the newest thing out, i think i can safely assume that very few people here that own a 2k or a 2k1 aren't buying a 2k2 b/c they want to get a 2k3; most people are just extremely happy with their 2k-2k1 (as i am with my 2k2)--and you may not like the new 2k3 design and if that's the case, i definitely wouldn't call your decision a stupid mistake--but...different strokes for different folks

matt
Old 11-19-2001, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by mattattax

i won't be kickin' MYself b/c i have to have the newest thing out, i think i can safely assume that very few people here that own a 2k or a 2k1 aren't buying a 2k2 b/c they want to get a 2k3; most people are just extremely happy with their 2k-2k1 (as i am with my 2k2)--and you may not like the new 2k3 design and if that's the case, i definitely wouldn't call your decision a stupid mistake--but...different strokes for different folks

matt
I LOVE MY 2K2 ALSO! The 2k3 styling might be iffy, but we'll all know soon enough. I wouldnt give up my 2k2 yet.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:24 AM

Russ

I'm in the same boat as you, but I am hoping Nissan will offer some special financing on the 2k2's after the new year. Then with a lower finance rate my payments will stay the same and I will have a better ride with 0 miles on it.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:26 AM

22K for a 2k max, unless it's loaded, that seems kind of high, wouldn't around 18K be more like it...?

Old 11-19-2001, 11:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts, 2k1 vs 2002 Max, what you think?

Originally posted by 02MaximaSE

I LOVE MY 2K2 ALSO! The 2k3 styling might be iffy, but we'll all know soon enough. I wouldnt give up my 2k2 yet.
Yeah, quite happy with my 2K2. I bought it because my last car was getting rather unreliable and elderly, and I bought a 2K2 rather than a 2K1 because I preferred the appearance as much as anything (although I certainly didn't object to the extra power).

The 2K3's still too much of an unknown as far as styling and price is concerned - all I know at this point is that it'll have more power. I knew this when I bought it (even discussed the 2K3 with the salesman when I had the 2K2 out for a test drive).

Maybe a dealer such as Maxima-Ness knows all this stuff by now. Good for him. I have to say I wouldn't buy a 2K2 *or* a 2K3 from a dealer that obviously holds customers who've just paid $25-$30K for a car in such contempt. Hell, I wouldn't even buy a bottle of touch-up paint from someone with that attitude.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just hold on to your 2K/2K1 until the design of the 2K3 goes public. Then, if you want to, trade for the 2K2 or wait for the 2K3. You're taking a financial bath either way, so why worry about the tub filling up a little more before making your decision.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:42 PM
PhatGuy

Russ I think you should get the 2K2 6spd for sure!

Old 11-19-2001, 01:20 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

russ...

I want to be your Nissan dealer. I want to open a dealership, stock it with cars, quit my job and work full time selling you cars... just you.. I will open "Russ' Nissan". Just tell me where you want the lot. Near the track? I'll even get you a pit crew. We'll write warranty papers right there and the track.. we'll set up at the end of the runout area. I'll follow you to work in the special Russ' Nissan Quick Warranty reponse van.

I live like a king..
Old 11-19-2001, 03:41 PM

A word of advice....all of us here at the dealership laugh every time we sell a new Maxima. We laugh because we know that the person who just drove off in that 2K2 will be kickin themselves in the pants when next year rolls around and the all new Max comes out. With the all new re-design and the major increase in power in the works, its a stupid mistake to go for the 2K2 when all you have to do is wait. If you got a 2K1, just keep it and mod it and be happy with it. Then, when the 2K3's come out, youll be the one grinning from ear to ear when you roll up next to last years model and the driver drools over your new toy. Save your money for a good down payment. Thats what Im doing.......
absolutely correct, why bother with the 2k2 when the 2k3 is
supposidly gonna have more power? Mod the 2k/2k1, be happy and enjoy the car...if your intentions are gonna be for a 2k3 anyways, stepping *on*the*gas*more*and*often is o.k...
Old 11-19-2001, 06:35 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: russ...

Originally posted by TimW
I want to be your Nissan dealer. I want to open a dealership, stock it with cars, quit my job and work full time selling you cars... just you.. I will open "Russ' Nissan". Just tell me where you want the lot. Near the track? I'll even get you a pit crew. We'll write warranty papers right there and the track.. we'll set up at the end of the runout area. I'll follow you to work in the special Russ' Nissan Quick Warranty reponse van.

I live like a king..
lol..nah I am keeping it. I just purchased 2k2 HID's, and a new grill. So I am defintely keeping it!

Old 11-19-2001, 08:22 PM

Your attitude towards your customers REALLY sucks! My 2K2 is the best car I've ever owned and I see no reason to wait another year for a car that is likely heavier, with unknown styling and certainly will co$t more. I just hope you can keep those lofty payments up if you lose your job for lack of customer appreciation.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:39 PM

2003 Maxima

I don't get these guys talking about the NEW 2003 Maxima and how much better it will be.
Yes, it may have more power, but so do the Dodge Ram trucks, and I don't want one of those.
Keep in mind that with the newer, bigger Altima, the current Maxima will cease to exist as you know it. What will come in it's place is something with more power, but ALSO much more weight, softer suspension and higher price. The new Atima will be closer to the car you know now as the Maxima than the new Maxima will be.
Think : CADILLAC
No offense against Nissan, but this is where they have decided to take the Maxima - upscale and more luxury than sport based.
There is a good chance that it will be similar to a stripped down Q45 and base price around $30,000. Yes, that's a lot of power in the Q45, but I don't think that the idea of something that large and heavy appeals to most of us. It doesn't appeal to me. I would rather have a 2002 Maxima SE 6 spd than a Q45, even for the same price.
Don't think the new Maxima will be nice and light like the current model, but with independent suspension all the way around and 300+HP under the hood, base price still around $25,000.
NOT going to happen.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:33 PM

Again...

This thread is about someone with a 5th gen Maxima trading in for a 2002. Why not wait until the 2003 is announced, design and specs known, and then decide on the trade-in. The 2002's will still be on the lots and you will be making an informed decision based on the 2003 models.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:58 PM

Also...

With the new Maxima on the lots, rebates will probably be offered for the previous version.

Do we know for sure that the new Maxima will be a 2003 model year? The news releases I have read recently about the Smyrna, TN plant where they will make the new Maxima say that they do not expect the new Maxima to roll off the lines until January 2003, even though it was supposed to be earlier than that.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Rogo

Your attitude towards your customers REALLY sucks! My 2K2 is the best car I've ever owned and I see no reason to wait another year for a car that is likely heavier, with unknown styling and certainly will cost more. I just hope you can keep those lofty payments up if you lose your job for lack of customer appreciation.
You guys totally took what I said int he wrong way. Of course. We're not laughing directly "AT" them, we are laughing because most of these guys come in there and theyre just like us about these cars. They love them and want the most power they can get. The cars are sold before the person comes on the lot. All we have to do is fill out the paperwork. Just imagining them in a few months coming back to the dealership wanting the new one is what makes us laugh, because we know they will; I know I would. We don't lack in customer appreciation in any way shape or form. Its actually quite the opposite. You would know if you visited us.
But anyway, Im not saying anything bad about those who already have the 2K2, hell the power is more than I have and yours are stock. I have my reasons why I wouldnt buy one, and you have your reasons why you would. Needing a car ASAP really cuts down the amount of choice you have. I understand that after my car was totaled last year and I needed a new car. I got the 2000 Maxima, but I know if I could have waited I would have gotten the AE.

okay, everything cleared away? good....
Old 11-20-2001, 04:33 AM

just wait a little longer for the 2k4, no a little more for the 2k5, no actually the 2k6 is gonna be great with tons of power--just mocking in sarcasim
Old 11-20-2001, 07:10 AM

That is no different than a lot of the other things in the industry. Better computer comes out every year, or even more frequently than that. Digital camera are more advance and better bang for the bucks now than before. With cars, there will always be something better looking and faster. If you buy then you likely will loss $$ if you like to upgrade/change all the time. When you lease you get to change every 2-4 years. There will be a time when we all need to be content, and patient.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:57 AM

Has it even been said that 2003 will be the year of the redesign? I heard 2004...
Old 11-20-2001, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by mattattax
just wait a little longer for the 2k4, no a little more for the 2k5, no actually the 2k6 is gonna be great with tons of power--just mocking in sarcasim
Oh, come on...you know that the Max is due for a redesign in 2K3 so waiting to see that makes sense.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Michael98033

the Max is due for a redesign in 2K3
for me you just listed a reason to NOT wait on the 2k3--i am 100% satisfied with the (5th gen) 2k2 design

Oh, come on...you know that the Max is due for a redesign in 2K3 so waiting to see that makes sense.

unless you are extremely happy with the 2k2, can't afford to wait, or have some other reason--it really all depends on your situation (financial, automotive, and otherwise) so in reality the decision is based on your situation and circumstances; and until those are established no one can really say which would make more sense

it completely and undeniably depends on the person's circumstances--it looks like in his case waiting was the sensible thing to do
Old 11-20-2001, 10:25 AM
OG and counting...

Just hold on to your 2K/2K1 until the design of the 2K3 goes public. Then, if you want to, trade for the 2K2 or wait for the 2K3. You're taking a financial bath either way, so why worry about the tub filling up a little more before making your decision.
<-------knows the above statement does not apply to him.

'94 Max = No Car Note and the resale on her is still decent.
Old 11-24-2001, 05:44 PM

Michael198033

You've got a strong case....

2K GLE stock-loaded
Sterling Mist