5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replaced Fuel Filter, Car Won't Start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin319
Alright just got a Gold Duralast battery from Autozone. Car does not crank but instead makes that "brrrrr" sound ( refer to video 2 ). I am officially out of ideas and may have to have the car toll to a mechanic to fix.

$25 for fuel filter + $112 for battery + $150 ( tolling ) + $200 ( hopefully under ) to fix at mechanic. Looks like I have lost more money than I would have gain ...
...that reminds me to never change my fuel filter. Be sure to update when he figures out the problem.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:18 AM

Alright just got a Gold Duralast battery from Autozone. Car does not crank but instead makes that "brrrrr" sound ( refer to video 2 ). I am officially out of ideas and may have to have the car toll to a mechanic to fix.

$25 for fuel filter + $112 for battery + $150 ( tolling ) + $200 ( hopefully under ) to fix at mechanic. Looks like I have lost more money than I would have gain ...
What video?

Very interested to hear what the cause turns out to be. I changed mine at 65K for the first time and was done in about 30 minutes. Other than priming the fuel filter to refill it, I can't think of how the non-start issue is related. Probably unrelated to your filter work.

The other possibility is that the filter is on backward and not allowing fuel to flow to the engine.

Last edited by 2002 Maxima SE; 04-12-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 AM

Sorry, I moved the 2 links to my first post. I didnt know there was a certain way to reinstall the filter since it was not mention nor were there diagrams to show it.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Sorry, I moved the 2 links to my first post. I didnt know there was a certain way to reinstall the filter since it was not mention nor were there diagrams to show it.

Your car is a 2000 - 2001 right? (not the internal filter on the 2002 - 2003).

The filter will have an arrow somewhere on the hookup to show the direction. I'm betting this is the problem. Try and take the filter off and find the arrow and reinstall.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Kevin,

I had the same issue when I changed my filter and figured it out. Look at the old filter again, in particular the hole for the where the fuel goes into the filter. Check to see if there's a black rubber grommet in there. If so, that's your problem. Pull that black grommet out and put it into the new filter.

Pri
Old 04-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pri63
Kevin,

I had the same issue when I changed my filter and figured it out. Look at the old filter again, in particular the hole for the where the fuel goes into the filter. Check to see if there's a black rubber grommet in there. If so, that's your problem. Pull that black grommet out and put it into the new filter.

Pri
His car doesn't crank.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Alright I fixed the cranking problem, there seems to be corrosion of some sort on the battery terminal (which I thought was lubricant or powder) so I had to wipe it off. Upon inspection, I found out the gold cylinder thing (fuel pump?) is dead. I used my new battery, connected it with 2 wires onto the gold cylinder thing, and it would not spin. I will be getting that part tomorrow and hopefully that will be it.

Kevin,

Pri
I did not see the black rubber grommet on my old filter or my new one. Are you talking about the hose that was stuck on the old filter?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:54 PM

More specifically

http://spirilis.net/maxima.org/maxim...et-outside.jpg

This is the gold cylinder I was talking about. The mechanic said the thing is dead so it has to be replaced. My car also didnt come with the rubber grommet ...

EDIT: The gold cylinder is called the "strainer."

Last edited by Kevin319; 04-12-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:10 PM

Sorry for your loss (of $$$) but I'll say it again. If it ain't broke don't fix it, shoulda bought the Max with the lifetime filter, (like I did). But seriously, I hope you get it fixed real soon and get back on the road.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Yeah I learned my lesson. Total cost of all this work is $112 (battery) + $200 (strainer) + $200 (labor?) ... yeah totally not worth the $26 I spent on the oil filter. Now I am afraid of installing the muffler I bought from ebay
Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 AM

Yeah I learned my lesson. Total cost of all this work is $112 (battery) + $200 (strainer) + $200 (labor?) ... yeah totally not worth the $26 I spent on the oil filter. Now I am afraid of installing the muffler I bought from ebay
gottttdamn lol My suggestion for the muffler install...get a can WD-40. If the winters in Philly are anything like CT, you're gonna be up against some serious rust
Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Someone recommended PBlaster since it works better but thanks for the tip. How much would a regular exhaust shop charge me to install it if theres no work needed but bolts on?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 AM

Ah yes, PB Blaster is a champ lol. I had a rear section welded to the b-pipe (flange rusted out), and they charged me $70. So if it's only bolting and no welding, then I'd have to guess no more than 70.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 PM

Kevin,

Pri
You saved my life, I had to buy a new fuel pump because my old one was shorted (according to mechanic). We installed everything back together and it still wouldnt start. I remember what you said about the black rubber thing and I immediate took it out and place it in, started the car, and VROOOM it came back to life. Thanks alot!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 PM

You saved my life, I had to buy a new fuel pump because my old one was shorted (according to mechanic). We installed everything back together and it still wouldnt start. I remember what you said about the black rubber thing and I immediate took it out and place it in, started the car, and VROOOM it came back to life. Thanks alot!
Good to hear that the problem is now resolved! So is replacing teh fuel filter worthwhile, do you feel any more power/responsiveness/mpg increase/anything positive lol? Im curious about trying this too, is it rlly a 4 hour job though!?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:08 AM

I only found 2 guides to how to replace the fuel filter. One is for the 02-03 Max and the other is for 00-01 Max ( I think ). The process isn't really that hard but they did left out very important steps and precautions. Anyone who attempts this the first time will take 1 hr+ with no tool skills ( 4hours the first time ) to finish. I have taken the fuel system assembly out and apart at least 5x to make sure everything was intact and it feels like I am putting together a puzzle block. After you have taken it out one time, it will probably take you about 15-30 minutes to take it out the 2nd time.

One thing I HIGHLY suggest people to do is to unplug the negative terminal on the battery just in case electricity touches any gasoline. Second, having the tools doesn't guarantee you can take it apart. If too much pressure is applied, you can break the clips and/or tabs. I used my fingers and fingernails for the entire process to take apart the assembly but you can use tools (just remember that everything your touching is plastic so don't over do it). Third, don't do this at night (or inside your house at night (potentially dangerous )) because it's hard to see what you are doing especially if its your first time. When I attempted this, I started around 5pm and it was getting dark ... I left the dome light on (4hrs) and I guess the battery weared down and cranking 10x after didn't help either.

Final thoughts, the two guides here are simply to guide you and not teach you. Pay extra attention to every picture you see when your doing this especially on the assembly part. Any missing pieces (black rubber thing on top of the fuel pump) will cause the car to not start. Overall, (now that I have calculated everything) I have spend $100 + $200 (fuel pump + mechanic labor) + ($30) = $330 to fix a VERY little mistake. In terms of performance, I notice my car idles a lot smoother, haven't checked mpg yet since I have 1/4 gas left, and better throttle response but this is due to the fact that I replaced the fuel filter AND the fuel pump (denso). If you have any questions feel free to pm me
Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 AM

Kevin319 wrote:

<<You saved my life, I had to buy a new fuel pump because my old one was shorted (according to mechanic). We installed everything back together and it still wouldnt start. I remember what you said about the black rubber thing and I immediate took it out and place it in, started the car, and VROOOM it came back to life. Thanks alot!>>

Tks. for the follow-up, and I'm glad u have resolved the problem! To summarize, what was the issue - bad terminals, fatigued battery, bad pump, or the fact you were missing the black rubber grommet on the pump? From above, it seems the new pump was unnecessary....

U spent $$$ and it sucks, but u've learned a lot on the way. U prolly now feel you can do anything on your car, and yep it cost $$$ when it did not have to, but the bright side is u've accumulated some more exp. working on your car, u know how frustrating things can get, but in the future u'll be able to tackle other repairs/maint. with higher confidence.