5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rough Idle...Motor mount??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Rough Idle...Motor mount??

The past few days i've been noticing that my engine idles a bit rough. you can really feel vibrations through the floor boards when the car idles. Once I put it into gear, the problem completely goes away, which is why I ruled out misfiring.

What I'm currently suspecting is that the front electric mount is bad when it loosens up. The mount does not make any noise when the car is off, so hopefully this means that it won't short out my ECU.

When I pop open the hood while the car is idleing, I do notice that it shakes around quite a bit, but once put in drive, the shaking stops and it runs like normal.

If it is the front mount that is bad, how much does it generally cost to replace it? Also how hard is it to replace, could I do it myself?

My last question is if there is an alternative mount avalible, more directly one that isn't electric so I don't have to worry about this ECU shortage in the future.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2009, 02:02 PM
No more Maximas...

You could swap in the 6MT mounts, they aren't electric.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:28 PM

okay I think I just need the front. Any idea what just the front non electric mount would cost?

also do you know of any installation instructions? I think i'm going to just do it myself.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:31 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Blitzfist
okay I think I just need the front. Any idea what just the front non electric mount would cost?

also do you know of any installation instructions? I think i'm going to just do it myself.
Search answers both.

For the front mount, depends if you want to get it from eBay, a parts store, Nissan, used, etc.

For installation instructions: http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=20

Though you shouldn't need to drop the crossmember just for the front mount. Undo the through bolt to the bracket on the block, then the two bolts holding it to the crossmember, and find a way to wiggle it out of there. It's a PITA, but doable.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM

I guess im terrible at searching because I can never find stuff lol. thanks for the help.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:51 PM

ive searched and i have still returned with nothing. I found the aftermarket electric mount and it seemed cheesy to me. Where is a good place to get an oem mount for a reasonable price. I tried contacting dave b but didnt have any luck.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:13 PM
No more Maximas...

ive searched and i have still returned with nothing. I found the aftermarket electric mount and it seemed cheesy to me. Where is a good place to get an oem mount for a reasonable price. I tried contacting dave b but didnt have any luck.
You can get them from eBay for relatively cheap.

How did you not have any luck contacting Dave B? Did you call the dealer?

Try again, or PM him, he'll be your best bet for an OEM mount straight from the dealer.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:14 PM

I sent him a pm 3 days ago and he never answered. I dont have his number and I'm not sure of his last name. All I know is that hes at South Point Nissan.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:42 PM
No more Maximas...

I sent him a pm 3 days ago and he never answered. I dont have his number and I'm not sure of his last name. All I know is that hes at South Point Nissan.
So you didn't search for his number? Hell, IIRC it's in the stickies...

Here.
Originally Posted by pruizgarcia
Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
It would be hard to call "Dave B" without a phone number or something.
1-888-254-6060

Pedro
Originally Posted by maximadave
Dave Burnette

South Point Nissan

1-888-254-6060

Mention Maxima.org

Whats been going on with ya lately Bernie?
Originally Posted by Jess
I don't think he is doing the sale anymore since this thread is from last year, but he still does his regular discount.

Here is his phone number.

1-888-254-6060

Great guy he's hooked me up plenty of times
Originally Posted by Jess
They have pop tabs that snap into place. When taking out your old door sills just pry them up by hand. Or if it's stuck on use a butter knife "flat with round edge" covered with cloth to pry it up.

Here is DaveB's number. 1-888-254-6060
Originally Posted by Colonel
Contact Dave Burnett 1-888-254-6060. AKA Dave B

Your Nissan dealer is lazy too.
Originally Posted by kpr10is
The most common places are Dave Burnette at SouthPoint Nissan in Texas, 1-888-254-6060 and tell him you are from the org. Or courtesyparts.com. Dave will probably be a couple bucks cheaper, and much better service. He is in the stickies in the generation-specific maxima forums above, but he works parts at SouthPoint Nissan in Austin and hooks up forum members with very good deals.
Originally Posted by irish44j
Call DaveB, he'll know what parts you need and give you the best price.

1-888-254-6060, I think...else check the stickies. Ask for Dave Burnette (there are two Dave B.'s workign there).
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr6
Anyone who needs coils, just call ( 1-888-254-6060 ) and ask for Dave B!
They're pretty pricey, but I hope once I'll get them installed, they will last a lot longer than the ones from eBay. I'm sick of dealing with coil issues!
Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

You could also consider ES polyeurethane mounts. They are just inserts though, so not sure if you would need to get extra parts if you have an automatic. Here is some more instructions though:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...tall-pics.html