5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Free STS - Improved version. Perfect parts list.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
wow necrobump but well deserved- this is an awesome mod. and a great way to break a drill bit
Yea sorry about that. I was just really impressed with this mod and for any new 02-03 6spd owners this is a must do!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:27 PM

I did this mod about a month ago. It is pretty awesome. It does take a little more effort from 2nd to 3rd but 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th are really quick.

BUMP for the best mod for our 6 speeds
Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM

I completely forgot about this but here is what I did for the side to side movement:

Stock "sleeve" with two replacements, one is slightly bigger and the other is slightly smaller, I had a third one of the same size, ended using that one

It goes between the lever and the bar itself, one picture away

And a close up

It helped a little bit but the spring itself had play (you can see a little bit of play in the upper part of the metal sleeve) and I could not bend it to eliminate it, but you can see on the first picture how the plastic sleeve was worn out, had I made the sleeve bigger to eliminate the play from the spring it would've been loose in the housing. I used some SS from work. the only thing now is that although it is shorter and stiff, it is also harder, not sure if I drilled too close to the pivot point of the tranny bracket or what, maybe it's time for some tranny fluid?

Anyway, cheers for a dead cheap super mod!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Just read through this. I think I'll do it this weekend if I have time.

Also, I can't believe that this many of you have trouble drilling through that. I think the drill speeds are a bit high.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by AWeb80
Just read through this. I think I'll do it this weekend if I have time.

Also, I can't believe that this many of you have trouble drilling through that. I think the drill speeds are a bit high.
Just make sure you drill SLOW and with good pressure, and keep it oiled, just take your time drilling.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bumping this for an awesome mod, did this with the clutch line dampner delete, wow what a difference!!! Holy crap!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:15 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

i have this free sts mod with ES bushings 1-piece SS clutch line from master to slave and it's ****ing awesome.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 PM

clutch line dampner delete?

I'll have to look that up.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yea just got rid of every inch of the old clutch line tubing from the master to the junction and all the dampner crap to the upper bleeder and then up to the rubber slave line, ran a 50" tube of brake line that i got from O'Reillys from the master to the rubber slave line. Cost= $6. Nice firm pedal... I likey
Old 07-01-2015, 08:21 PM

Hoping to do the sts clevis pin mod this coming 4th weekend
Will post my impressions after
Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Going to go ahead and necro this thread since it has lots of good info.

Im looking to do this mod sometime soon - Im not quite understanding how you figure out where exactly to drill the hole. I understand (i think?) that the side-to-side placement affects how much shorter the throw will be (ie; the more to the passenger side from the original post you move, the shorter the throw gets, if i understand correctly??) I am not understanding how you position the new post in terms of front-to-back though. I see people mentioning front/back placement is what determines how the stick will sit but I dont see the cause/effect. For example, will a post placed closer to the bumper result in the stick sitting further forward than stock, and a post placed closer to the firewall result in the stick sitting further back? Or does this work another way? Can anyone that has knowledge on this mod fill me in on how you get the hole for the new post in the correct position? I could probably eyeball it based on pictures but id prefer if what Im doing had some sort of scientific basis to it lol.

Hope these questions makes sense. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Slamrod; 02-14-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So, i got impatient and decided to go ahead and just wing it and see what happens rather than wait for precise instructions.

Heres the 5/16th hole i drilled. Its not an exact science - basically unlatch the shift cable from the arm, and youll notice that the cable can extend and retract. This is NOT what you want. You want to unlatch the cable, and pivot it toward the side without adjusting its length in/out at all. Itll move in a slight arc. Theres a tiny ledge/ridge on the arm (you can see the hole barely going through it) - i ended up using a punch to mark just at the bottom edge of that ridge. I used a 1/8th drillbit for a pilot hole, moved to i think to 7/32s, and then finally finished with 5/16th. As stated several times in this thread, TAKE YOUR TIME DRILLING. Nice and easy, use some sort of lube (wd40 worked for me) periodically on the drillbit. I would drill for a little, pull the bit out to clean debris, touch the bit to make sure its not overheating, and then continue. Total time drilling was ~15 mins tops. It is a tight space but you can shift the arm forward toward the bumper to have a better angle. Just make sure that when you are picking your spot to drill, that the car is in neutral and you dont adjust the in/out play of the cable at all, or else your shift stick will be cocked forward or backwards from center.

Here is the 5/16x2 clevis pin installed. It needs to be installed from the bottom, you dont need to go under the car but you need either small hands or long fingers to get it in. Youll need to fidget with the shift assembly and move it through the gears to get it in but once its in, its in.

Heres the end result. Once the clevis pin is through, you can attach the shift cable. While the pin is fairly snug in the hole, youll want to hold the bottom of it while you do this, or else it will simply fall out onto your floor. I was able to squeeze the cable end down just enough to get a cotter pin through the 2nd hole. In reality any hole will be fine, as long as the clevis pin is secured to the shift arm and the shift cable secured to the clevis pin - both by a cotter pin. Total time was about an hour, tops, and that was with me getting sidetracked with other stuff.

End result? AWESOME.
Easily one of the best “quality of life” mods you can do for these cars if you have a 6speed. As others stated it will reduce your shift lengths by roughly half. Such a HUGE improvement while driving, the stock shift length feels absolutely insanely long once you experience the short throw. One of the great things about this is that you can easily revert to stock if you wanted to - but you never will want to. The shifts are nice and tight and short, i was worried it would feel overly aggressive somehow but it just feels simply perfect, even for a daily driver. You will notice that theres a little more “oomph” when going into each gear, i guess it would be considered notchiness, but not in a bad sense. I sort of prefer it like this, because its feedback that confirms the gear is engaged. Takes a short bit to get used to because it kinda feels like youre not going fully into gear when you shift, but thats just the shortened throw in action.

Overall, 10/10 mod in my opinion, no exaggeration. Considering all it costs is the $2 for the clevis pin and a trip to home depot, plus how easy it is to do, this is a no brainer must-do.

Last edited by Slamrod; 02-16-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:39 PM

Atta boy. That's all I did, it's not a precision mod, you'll get used to it either way. I wonder what a stock shifter feels like...
Old 02-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by freezer
Atta boy. That's all I did, it's not a precision mod, you'll get used to it either way. I wonder what a stock shifter feels like...
i was keeping a mental note of the stock shift feel all this week. I was thinking its not bad at all - that is, until i experienced the short throw. With the stock setup, i was pretty much moving my whole arm from the shoulder to shift. Now, its basically just a flick of the wrist. SO much faster shifts, you can blast through the gears at lightening speed without any effort where as before it felt like you needed a relatively deliberate quickness with your movements when shifting. Now, you just casually shift and its just straight up money every time. There is literally zero chance of me ever going back to stock shift setup lol.

Last edited by Slamrod; 02-16-2019 at 01:57 PM.