General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

To anyone who has installed shifters....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 11:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

To anyone who has installed shifters....

I was at a Maxima meet tonight and was driving when suddenly my shifter felt a little different after shifting into 3rd. I pulled up the paneling so I could hear things better and it sounded like something was loose so I was going to check into it tomorrow.
On the way home I heard a clunk while driving on the highway. After that point I found myself in neutral and unable to shift into ANY gears. When I installed my STS I tightened all the bolts appropriately so I don't know why the bolt fell off, but I'm almost positive that's what my problem was. I really need to fix this ASAP so I was wondering if anyone knows the bolt size for the shifter. I may have also lost the "cylinder" that the bolt goes through so that would be helpful as well. I plan on calling Courtesy on Monday, but I'm trying to start figuring things out now.

Also when I installed the STS I reused the old "cylinder" and bolt because the shifter did not come with a new one. Would this cause any problems? Can anyone think of any other reasons why the bolt would have become loose? I really don't want this to happen again :P
Shifter Diagram
Everything I am talking about involves the bolt with the green arrow and the cylinder that it goes through.
Thanks in advance.
-hype
Old 03-24-2002, 07:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: To anyone who has installed shifters....

Does the stick now feel loose? You would think that if the bolt holding the stick and the linkage broke free, that the stick would now float free. If it is still partially intact and still keeping the two together but not enough to shift, it would feel loose and certainly if you wiggled the stick back and forth, front to back you would notice it rattling or something. Hopefully it is your shifter and not your tanny. To temporize before you get a proper bolt/cylinder, you can use a strong, long bolt and put large washers on the head and nut areas to keep it in place.

I have the Pacesetter which doesn't come with a new bolt/nut like SMC. I reused the old stock one with now problems. If you still have the stock one to use, maybe some lock tight compound will help it the next time. From pictures i've seen of the SMC unit, it uses the bolt/nut/washers method which I didn't think was as good as the cylinder bolt of the stock unit.
Old 03-24-2002, 07:44 AM

Re: Re: To anyone who has installed shifters....

Originally posted by Mishmosh

I have the Pacesetter which doesn't come with a new bolt/nut like SMC. I reused the old stock one with now problems. If you still have the stock one to use, maybe some lock tight compound will help it the next time. From pictures i've seen of the SMC unit, it uses the bolt/nut/washers method which I didn't think was as good as the cylinder bolt of the stock unit.
Thanks for the reply Mishmosh. I have the SMC but I didn't get the bolt so I reused the old one. The shifter floats free in that it isn't attached to anything when I move the shifter left-right, front-back, or up-down. I'm almost positive it's the aforementioned green bolt. If I could get a stock bolt/nut and put some washers on I'd be happy, but I don't know the bolt size or anything. Tomorrow I'm going to call Courtesy to see if they can give me a size or part #. I'm really surprised the nut worked itself free though. I only installed my shifter about 5 weeks ago and I always double check the bolts.
-hype
Old 03-24-2002, 01:51 PM

i wish i knew what to tell ya, i heard it and it didnt sound right, how did you make it back without being able to shift? if you need any help with the work id be glad to help, i myself closed my rear ds door today and the window fell, took off the door panel, found some broken plastic that goes along the guide sitting in the bottom, its going to the dealer in a few days
Old 03-24-2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by RedMax95
i wish i knew what to tell ya, i heard it and it didnt sound right, how did you make it back without being able to shift? if you need any help with the work id be glad to help, i myself closed my rear ds door today and the window fell, took off the door panel, found some broken plastic that goes along the guide sitting in the bottom, its going to the dealer in a few days
I didn't make it home Manoj helped me get my car off the shoulder of the highway and into a parking lot so I can work on it. Manoj also took me home. samabra offered me some help, but if anyone can let me borrow a jack and 2 jackstands that would be great. I also need a ride to my car a few times and maybe to the dealer :/ This week is going to be rough.
-hype
Old 03-24-2002, 02:18 PM

where you staying? i may be able to help, pending on time
Old 03-24-2002, 03:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: To anyone who has installed shifters....

Originally posted by xHypex

The shifter floats free in that it isn't attached to anything when I move the shifter left-right, front-back, or up-down. -hype
What green bolt are you referring to? If you can re-up that link to the diagram...

When the bolt holding the shifter rod to the shifter linkage is not there, the shift rod will not return to center and just fall to the side...

In any case, given that your car isn't that old and the install was fairly recent, you shouldn't have any problems. Check out the inside of your y-pipe's flex section while you have it in view...
Old 03-24-2002, 04:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: To anyone who has installed shifters....

What green bolt are you referring to? If you can re-up that link to the diagram...

When the bolt holding the shifter rod to the shifter linkage is not there, the shift rod will not return to center and just fall to the side...

In any case, given that your car isn't that old and the install was fairly recent, you shouldn't have any problems. Check out the inside of your y-pipe's flex section while you have it in view...
Sorry I didn't attach the diagram to this post
Shifter Diagram
I'm pretty sure it's the green bolt and the shifter isn't attached to the linkage. I can move the shifter up and down which means that it's not attached. I guess something happened since my install.
I bought a new nut, bolt, and washers today so hopefully it will all fit. If not I'll have to try again later during the week. I don't know if I have to unbolt my ypipe, but checking the flex section isn't a bad idea. At the track my best time was 15.196@91.55 with a a hybrid HAI, exhaust, and ypipe. Maybe I am missing power, but if it is my flex section that's the first I've heard of a flex section going bad on a Stillen ypipe.
-hype
Old 03-24-2002, 06:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To anyone who has installed shifters....

Originally posted by xHypex
I'm pretty sure it's the green bolt and the shifter isn't attached to the linkage.
OK. If the shifter doesn't return to the center and flops to the side, it is probably loose from the linkage. If it actually returns some to center, the other possibility is the shifter control arm bolt to the tranny. I think RussMax had loose shifter feel and found that this bolt was extremely loose...
Old 03-24-2002, 08:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To anyone who has installed shifters....

OK. If the shifter doesn't return to the center and flops to the side, it is probably loose from the linkage. If it actually returns some to center, the other possibility is the shifter control arm bolt to the tranny. I think RussMax had loose shifter feel and found that this bolt was extremely loose...
Ok if you look at the Shifter Diagram again the blue nuts were GONE! The shifter was still attached to the spring, but I could move the whole assebly up and down. It moved up far enough that the gears weren't engaging at all. I use some nuts from Home Depot, but I am going to put OEM nuts with Locktite when I get back to Dallas. Thanks for your input Mishmosh.
-hype
Old 03-24-2002, 08:46 PM

sweet dude, good to hear its working again, so the bolts just came loose and fell off somewhere? did u go to my home depot?
Old 03-24-2002, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by RedMax95
sweet dude, good to hear its working again, so the bolts just came loose and fell off somewhere? did u go to my home depot?
The both nuts fell off and the assembly came out of the holes and shifted up. I went to the Home Depot on 35@St. Johns since it's 24hours and was the only one open. I'm just really happy I guessed the nut size correctly. They only had 2 choices for me to choose from anyway, and I got the right size and thread pitch. I am really lucky they fit, and I plan on putting on OEM nuts when I get back to Dallas with Locktite to make sure this doesn't happen again.
-hype
Old 03-24-2002, 09:39 PM

Glad you got it going again. Pretty wild for those bolts to fail, but I guess when one does, that puts a lot of stress on the one remaining...
Old 03-25-2002, 12:16 PM

good to know you got it working again