5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Would you consider buying a pnp harness for installing a UTEC into your 5.5 maxima?
I have a UTEC and want this PNP ASAP!!!!
6.67%
I'm looking at tunning options and if this becomes avalible ill get it and a UTEC
56.67%
I dont plan to run a tunning device
0.83%
I have/will hardwire my UTEC into my factory harness
1.67%
What is this??????????????
23.33%
I have another car with the same Grey ECU connector and might be intrested.
1.67%
I have a 5th gen But i want a patch harness for EMU and other installs.
9.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

UTEC Plug and Play harness for the 5.5 !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Play with my balls

Since mine is hardwired directly to the ecu using only the specific pinouts that I need, I shouldn't have any of these issues correct? I have not tuned it yet cause of the build, but will be here shortly.

Which pinout did you say was not connected again? I think there was only 1, and it might have been the Knock but not sure. Just want to verify that I didn't need it. Thanks D.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 AM

Good luck to this harness... I have a UTEC for sale when you guys are ready to PnP
Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Since mine is hardwired directly to the ecu using only the specific pinouts that I need, I shouldn't have any of these issues correct? I have not tuned it yet cause of the build, but will be here shortly.

Which pinout did you say was not connected again? I think there was only 1, and it might have been the Knock but not sure. Just want to verify that I didn't need it. Thanks D.
That is what I was wondering. My Utec is hardwired.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Deckdout2

P's yours is fine, we would of known if it wasn't the moment we cranked the car. And ya i think its the coolant temp wire, so in the utec dashboard you dont see the coolant temp. Its in Celsius anyway, i haven't figured how to change it, not that it really matters.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:11 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by SurraTT
There are a few, im mostly testing out the most economical harness design. But also some UTECs have different issues, like misfiring while the utec is exposed to cold temps, like overnight in the winter. Then when the utec warms up inside the car the misfires go away. If i wasn't testing this in depth, i would not of known about these issues in cold temps. That's another reason this is taking so long.

-Darren
I am at a point now that I have an inverter powering a heat pad for my UTEC. I keep it on a low setting, but it heats up pretty fast and stops the misfires. Lately I've been able to drive around without a SES because of it!

I'll let my car be the guinea pig if you want to try and troubleshoot

Also Paramy I'd probably hook up the coolant temp wire. I can see it on the new UTI 4.0 dashboard. It's not crucial but nice to know when your car is all the way up to temp when tuning.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM
NWP Engineering.com

P's yours is fine, we would of known if it wasn't the moment we cranked the car. And ya i think its the coolant temp wire, so in the utec dashboard you dont see the coolant temp. Its in Celsius anyway, i haven't figured how to change it, not that it really matters.
I haven't found a way to change it myself on the UTEC's dashboard. That's why I like using UTI-3 for all my logging. Then I go back to the UTEC Hyperterminal in order to alter the maps. I stopped messing around with UTI-ME since the autotune feature doesn't seem to work. It use to work for me, but when I updated to the latest version, it stopped working. So I've gotten use to working with hyperterminal.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I haven't found a way to change it myself on the UTEC's dashboard. That's why I like using UTI-3 for all my logging. Then I go back to the UTEC Hyperterminal in order to alter the maps. I stopped messing around with UTI-ME since the autotune feature doesn't seem to work. It use to work for me, but when I updated to the latest version, it stopped working. So I've gotten use to working with hyperterminal.
Yeah hyperterminal takes a while to get used to. I never could get autotune to work, maybe I started with the same version of ME that doesn't work for you.

It's taking a looong time to get my tune set up well. I'm trying to fill in my temperature correction tables as I drive around in different temperatures (filled in the 11-20c tables this past weekend) so I don't have to swap to winter/summer tunes, but can just run 1 tune that corrects for each.

Last edited by sparks03max; 02-23-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 AM

What is the lastest software update for utec though? Or are you guys using something else besides hyperterminal?

BTW I do not have any missfire issues in the cold and the temps have been around 30 degrees or less in my location
Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
What is the lastest software update for utec though? Or are you guys using something else besides hyperterminal?

BTW I do not have any missfire issues in the cold and the temps have been around 30 degrees or less in my location
We use UTI from jeffsoftware for datalogging. It shows colored tables/graphs as well as autologging that makes it much easier to tune with hyperterminal.

The misfire issues are only due to the UTEC when it is cold. Aaron and I have the exact same symptoms. When it gets warm from the floor heater, the misfire goes away completely.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:43 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Yeah hyperterminal takes a while to get used to. I never could get autotune to work, maybe I started with the same version of ME that doesn't work for you.

It's taking a looong time to get my tune set up well. I'm trying to fill in my temperature correction tables as I drive around in different temperatures (filled in the 11-20c tables this past weekend) so I don't have to swap to winter/summer tunes, but can just run 1 tune that corrects for each.
I just do a 2nd gear pull and look at the UTI Report. Then I quickly mark down the rpm ranges that need AFR altered. Make a couple changes in each of those areas, do another pull and repeat as needed.

I haven't found anybody that has had good luck with the temperature correction. Plus, now that I'm so far away from my engine's knock threshold, I won't have to mess with timing for the summer. Knock probably will never become an issue, even while racing a hot engine in 100 degrees. I'll probably leave timing alone from here on out. And if I ever notice my AFR change when I get close to the summer months, I'll do a quick retune of the AFR to keep me around 13.0:1. But right now, I've driven in 20 to 60 degrees and haven't noticed any change in AFR.

Originally Posted by Shift_Max

I think the last UTEC update was several years ago. 2.8d is the version if I recall correctly. TurboXS has told me they will not release any new updates.

UTI3 and UTI-ME is software that will work along with the UTEC. But to actually make changes to your maps, you'll need to edit them directly using hyperterminal or just upload a full map from your PC.

http://www.jeffsoftware.com/index.php

As for the misfiring issues. I've only heard of two UTECs experiencing this problem, me and sparks03max.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Play with my balls

Also Paramy I'd probably hook up the coolant temp wire. I can see it on the new UTI 4.0 dashboard. It's not crucial but nice to know when your car is all the way up to temp when tuning.

Sounds good. Thanks for letting me know. I've actually picked up a Defi BF Water Temp gauge which should do me fine then.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Hay surratt this is 1wkdmax is it ready to order i have been down waiting for the harness and if it ready this is my email lynxcann@aol.com let me know so i can order it.I put on my headers and having some 02 sensor problem but i figured it out just waiting on the harness.email me anyway to let me know how long.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:04 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

FIRST POST UPDATED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:12 PM

OF COURSE this comes out right after I pick up a z adapter to make my own plug and play. Oh well, good luck and it looks great
Old 03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Gemner
OF COURSE this comes out right after I pick up a z adapter to make my own plug and play. Oh well, good luck and it looks great
Sorry!!

Z adapter??

let me know how it goes!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:12 PM

will do for sure. What i mean by z harness adapter is the autosport harness. Its just the male and female z connectors with like 8" of wire in the middle. Got it used so it was worth it, otherwise theyre like $200, major ripoff for what you get
Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Gemner
will do for sure. What i mean by z harness adapter is the autosport harness. Its just the male and female z connectors with like 8" of wire in the middle. Got it used so it was worth it, otherwise theyre like $200, major ripoff for what you get
ohh ya ive seen that patch harness, it actually sells for $295 bran new. i seen one a while back on my350z, that must be the one u got! haha.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 PM

could be. it was on there for a long time while i decided to get it or not. got it for quite a bit less than that $295, lol
Old 03-21-2010, 09:55 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Well looks like this is not going to happen, i will probably sell the UTEC and Pnp harness that is in my car soon.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well looks like this is not going to happen, i will probably sell the UTEC and Pnp harness that is in my car soon.
Why? Because of perceived interest based on price or because of the remaining issue?

I'm still interested.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:14 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
Why? Because of perceived interest based on price or because of the remaining issue?

I'm still interested.

Its a lot of different factors, between the quantity of order needed just to get a first batch going, the price of the harness, and the cold misfire issue. That all together about dooms this harness.

It would be a totally different deal if could order parts for a smaller amount of harnesses.

IF anyone is still interested in purchasing this UTEC pnp harness please post in this thread. If people are still interested i can make a purchasing thread and see how many paid orders i can get to get atleast one batch of harnesses out.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:54 PM

Its a lot of different factors, between the quantity of order needed just to get a first batch going, the price of the harness, and the cold misfire issue. That all together about dooms this harness.

It would be a totally different deal if could order parts for a smaller amount of harnesses.

IF anyone is still interested in purchasing this UTEC pnp harness please post in this thread. If people are still interested i can make a purchasing thread and see how many paid orders i can get to get atleast one batch of harnesses out.

IMO you're going to need to make a new thread to see real interest... But "interest" on these forums is a joke, anyway, since every other person will be sooo interested and "money ready" but when the time comes 2 people actually have it... lol

Also, this patch harness will probably work with the other square connector ECU's, right? You may want to test that, as you'll have a wider demographic if you can get the other 02-03 VQs on board.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:44 PM

IMO you're going to need to make a new thread to see real interest... But "interest" on these forums is a joke, anyway, since every other person will be sooo interested and "money ready" but when the time comes 2 people actually have it... lol

Also, this patch harness will probably work with the other square connector ECU's, right? You may want to test that, as you'll have a wider demographic if you can get the other 02-03 VQs on board.

Agreed. I would make a new thread. Maybe even cross reference it in the all motor section.

I think alot of guys just dumped money into 3" inch cat backs so it may take a little for them to jump on something else. (remember back in the day when everyone was saying catbacks made no power, and it wasn't worth tuning a NA car?)
Old 03-21-2010, 03:52 PM

remember back in the day when everyone was saying catbacks made no power, and it wasn't worth tuning a NA car?
Only on an import forum would such misconceptions last more than 5 minutes... and I still find it hard to believe that "everyone" actually said that.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:00 PM

Only on an import forum would such misconceptions last more than 5 minutes... and I still find it hard to believe that "everyone" actually said that.
Ok, maybe not everyone but it was the consensus.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 AM

That is a nice looking harness. I was initially interested in buying one but since you had issues with it, I ended up just doing it the hard way and hardwiring it in. I just could not wat for it to be released.
But hopefully you get enough people interested since the Utec is a decent tuning device.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Thanks for the input guys.

We will see how it goes!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM

I am very, very interested in this. When I say that, I mean I will send you money right away if you can make one of these for me. Please let me know if you are still going to go through with this.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Due to the circumstances with this harness im not going to put this into production. The harness is just so costly to make and the older ECU's are so finicky to work with. This is prolly the reason there is no tuning devices out there. If others want to make their own pnp harness or cut the utec up and wire it into their factory harness i will help much as i can.

In case you missed it THIS PNP harness will NOT go into production!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Well that sucks. But I do appreciate all the effort you put into to this!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:04 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Well that sucks. But I do appreciate all the effort you put into to this!

Yes i know! im sorry its came to this!

lol yessss i put a lot of effort into it! its been over a year! and countless hours, but in the end its all not wasted ive learned a TON!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:24 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

My understanding is that you have some connectors left, and that you may be willing to knock one out. Let me know. Not really into bsing, and willing to throw some extra on it if necessary to get one setup. Appreciate it. Sent a pm as well as text, as well as a visitor message....im kinda persistent...
Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 AM

yeah damn. i have cash in hand for one of these so i dont have to let one of the ****ty local shops cut into my harness. just got the utec
Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 AM

I know you said you were not going to do this, but I am in the same boat as Cant Get Ryte. If you were willing to do a couple of these I would be more than willing to pay. Please let me know ASAP.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Ok here is the deal,

I'm going to give the UTEC pnp harness ONE MORE SHOT. That is im making one more test harness, im using totally different wire on this last harness. I know i said i was done before, but i want to figure this utec pnp out really bad and this last harness will satisfy me that i tried everything i possibly know. I will be testing the utec at around 35 degrees. IF the cold misfires are gone the this harness just might go into production!

Im waiting on the supplies to arrive, should be a week or less. Once i get them i will be a few weeks before final word on testing.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:55 PM

cool. short list me. im ready whenever
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM

Im in as well
Old 05-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

No need to reiterate, its stated above and apparently theres an immediate market for 3.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

Old 06-02-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
No need to reiterate, its stated above and apparently theres an immediate market for 3.
yeah, this. i dont want to have to get it hardwired

Quick Reply: UTEC Plug and Play harness for the 5.5 !!!!