5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Vacuum Bleeder Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Vacuum Bleeder Question

Can a vacuum bleeder be used to bleed the clutch lines? A couple of posts by some members say they have used it, but I have gotten contradictory statements. I just replaced my slave and master cylinder and I'm having real difficulty bleeding the lines the old fashioned way.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Anyone? I just bought a vacuum bleeder kit, but I want to be sure before I open it. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 PM

The dealer uses them to bleed brakes and the clutch. Im sick of bleeding mine the old fashion way. I need a pump.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 PM

To bleed brakes or clutch? Through my research, most say you need a pressure bleeder and not a vacuum as it allows air back through the bleeder. I can tell when I'm bleeding it the old fashioned way that air is going back through the nipple, as I don't have an air tight connection with the tube and nipple. I'm going to look into a pressure bleeder. Otherwise I just might try to get enough pressure to the clutch to get me to a mechanic to bleed it for me. *sigh*
Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Found this. Great for anyone looking to bleed clutch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf--...layer_embedded
Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Are you closing the slave bleeder when the pedal reaches the floor on every downstroke, AND before allowing the pedal to come up? If you don't you will never get the air out of the system. You do understand that the "old fashioned" bleeding procedure was a two man job? And of course the reservoir fluid level can never be allowed to get down to the bottom and may have to be topped up periodically during the bleeding. Shops use a pressure bleeder because of time, but you should be able to successfully bleed a hydraulic clutch system, or brakes for that matter, at home without a pressure bleeder.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
Are you closing the slave bleeder when the pedal reaches the floor on every downstroke, AND before allowing the pedal to come up? If you don't you will never get the air out of the system. You do understand that the "old fashioned" bleeding procedure was a two man job? And of course the reservoir fluid level can never be allowed to get down to the bottom and may have to be topped up periodically during the bleeding. Shops use a pressure bleeder because of time, but you should be able to successfully bleed a hydraulic clutch system, or brakes for that matter, at home without a pressure bleeder.
Yes, yes, and yes. What I finally realized was that due to the threaded bleeder, air was going back in before I had time to close the bleder off. I can't seem to get an air tight fit with the clear hose and bleeder. Besides, the pressure bleed methos just looks so much simpler. I'll update on the outcome.