5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Maxima Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 11:56 PM
ABS

2K2 Maxima Questions???

Hello everyone! Let me start by saying that this is a really great message board (although you all knew that already)! Anyhow, I just got my new 2002 Maxima SE 6 Spd in Grey Lustre last week and I've already got 550 miles on it. I've spent a lot of time reading posts and I have a broad variety of questions. Any help would really be appreciated:

1. Engine Oil
I'm planning on changing my oil tomorrow to Mobil 1 5-30 with a Wix filter (appears to be a top rated filter). I do not mind a longer break-in period and I am most concerned with reducing wear. I believe there is a reason why some of the most expensive cars in the world come from the factory with synthetic in the oil pan. Does everyone concur that this is the best step for me to take?

2. Manual Tranny Oil
I would also consider upgrading the tranny fluid to synthetic gear oil, but what impact can I expect on the synchro's? For example, in my old Honda, after I converted to synthetic in the tranny, I started to grind synchros (only on fast shifts due to less friction) although my fuel economy increased. I don't want to grind synchros in the Maxima.

3. RSB
My last car was a Honda Civic with a heavily modded suspension (f/r ST sway bars, Ground Control springs, Tokico struts, poly bushings, etc.). I feel that the Maxima RSB upgrade will yield a major improvement since there is too much understeer from the factory. Has anyone used both the Addco and the Stillen bars and can tell me which is stiffer (i.e. more oversteer) or other differences in the performance? I do not much care about looks but I have noticed that the Addco uses poly bushings on the trailing arms whereas the Stillen uses only metal clamps - what's the impact of this? Is one noisier than the other? Are they both adjustable and how necessary are the adjustments on the Maxima?

4. Bose Questions
I am an audiophile (I build my own custom Hi-Fi speakers for home use) and I want to upgrade the stock Bose system in the Maxima with high end components like Focal, Scan Speak or Dynaudio. I also really want to keep the factory Bose head unit. I like 6 disc in the dash, an operating trip computer and the stock look. I am really confused though. I realize that the car has a small stock amp in the trunk that drives all the Bose speakers, but can I use this amp with aftermarket 4 ohm drivers or only low impedance 1 ohm drivers?

Also, just in case I do need to upgrade the amp, can anyone tell me if the output from the 2K2 Bose head unit is "differential ground" and low voltage - as in the past? If both of these conditions are true, would my best bet for upgrading the amplifier be to use the Soundgate LOCB signal converter? I was told by Soundgate that this converter takes the pre-amp out from head units with differential grounds and low voltage output and converts it to standard +/- pre-amp outs for use with most Bose systems. I have been told that this is supposed to be far superior to using the output from the stock amp and then dropping speaker level output to pre-amp levels because it does not add any amplifier induced distortions and keeps a good S/N ratio etc. Here's the link: http://www.soundgate.com/adj-loc.html

Finally, what size tweeters will I be able to fit behind the stock grills in the A-Pillars?

5. Paint
I already have a chip on my hood and I don't want any more! Does anyone know if Expel, Stonegard or another supplier has the 3M paint protector covering available for the 2002 Maxima yet? Any recommendations - Stonegard vs. Expel?

6. VLSD/HLSD
I think that Nissan has cheated owners in the U.S. by not giving us the VLSD. The Canadian cars get it, so should we have (As a side note, they also get a full sized spare) . . . That said, how hard will it be to upgrade to the HLSD, or even the VLSD for that matter, after the parts become available? I really want an LSD to help improve bad weather performance and also for better handling/grip in the twisties.

7. Snow Tires
Can anyone provide me with recommendations for snow tires on the Maxima? Should I get skinny aftermarket rims with snows from TireRack, just put snows on the stock 17's or leave the OEM RE92 tires? Traditionally I have always used snow tires in the winter. I live in New York and will need a solution that will work in moderate to heavy snow.

I know this is a long post with lots of questions, but it's the culmination of all my reading/research on this board. Any help/input would really be appreciated. Thanks for everyone's input in advance!

Andy
Old 11-24-2001, 06:45 AM
Got Bent?

Congrats on your new maxima I'll take a stab at some of those questions:

1. You can change your oil not to synthetic if you want. There should be no problems with doing so. Waiting until you reach the first servicve interval to change oil and filter would be fine also. It's your call. Stick with Mobil 1 synthetic.

2. I hear redline fluid is good.

3. Definitely get RSB It is worth it.

5. I think 3M makes a product for hood protection...

7. The stock RE92's suck! If you plan on doing a lot of driving in snow or bad conditions, definitely get some snow tires with 15" steel rims for the winter...
Old 11-24-2001, 11:56 AM

do you mind if i ask how much you paid for yours?
Old 11-24-2001, 03:20 PM
ABS

Newman 96SE,

I do not mind at all. This is a fully loaded SE with all options except for NAV. I negotiated 500 over invoice (Edmunds pricing) with one dealer, but he could not find the car. I found another in Elmwood NJ who found the car, but talked me up another 150. Final price was about $28,153 if I remember correctly. Hope this helps!

Andy
Old 11-24-2001, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by ABS
Newman 96SE,

I do not mind at all. This is a fully loaded SE with all options except for NAV. I negotiated 500 over invoice (Edmunds pricing) with one dealer, but he could not find the car. I found another in Elmwood NJ who found the car, but talked me up another 150. Final price was about $28,153 if I remember correctly. Hope this helps!

Andy
Lots of happy motoring-I have 23,000 kilometers on my GLE2000 bought new, still love getting behind the wheel...