5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link - Interest Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 AM

if they make this im buying one for sure
Old 06-05-2009, 10:51 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by pmohr
Well the engine compartments of the A33 and A33B are identical in shape and size, so it should fit without an issue (assuming of course the same bolt holes are there, but most likely they are).

If you want to send me a pic of the bolt locations you're using, I can get you some measurements for the A32.
I am guessing that it will work. But until I am able to test it myself, I am only able to advertise it for the 02-03 Maxima right now.

Thanks for your help. I don't want to rush into the 00-01 Maxima just yet. Once the product is released, I will personally test fit it in the 00-01 Maxima. If it fits to my liking, then I will release it for that vehicle.

Originally Posted by skidz88
I'm still not completely convinced. What mods does the test car have? Like I said, the idea is a good one and of course the bar works but I'm still sure there must be a con side to this.

I would like to see this on a 5.5 gen making 240+whp, and putting down at least low 13 second times. I wanna know the condition of the frame/chassis after 1-2 years, or like 50-100 passes. Instead of an engine tie down, I'd much prefer an engine damper that still allows for some movement or has a shock to absorb the movement.
It's ok. All I can do is test this as much as it possibly can be tested in the current test vehicle. And we also plan to test this further in much higher HP engines. But having no engine movement is best for performance as long as the mounting locations are strong enough, which is your main concern.

The 02 Maxima 6spd test vehicle is probably not laying down 240whp though. It has the following modifications:

Intake
NWP Spacers
Fidanza Flywheel
Testpipe
2.5" Catback Exhaust
350z HR Clutch
05 Sentra SpecV transmission gearset and final drive

It has been tested for several hundred hard driven miles on the street though. We plan to test this even further to make sure the Torque Link can hold up well with higher HP engines (350+HP). It won't be hard to find another test vehicle. But with all the testing we have conducted over the past several months, the only con would be a small increase in vibrations, which is expected. There have been absolutely no frame damage what so ever. And of course, I am keeping a close eye on this because I will always do everything I can to make sure every single customer is happy with the product and design quality.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
Hmm i am certainly liking it more after seeing where is attaches. One more question Aaron92SE. The old car I was speaking of was a 00-05 Celica btw, and the other problem the rod caused was while it wouldn't let the engine move forward or backward it would actually cause the engine and tranny to twist sideways in the engine bay. Is there a hint of this at all when installed on 5.5 gens?? Your right about the solid mounting point though, that area on the car is beefy.
Yeah, that mounting area is the most solid part I could find in the engine bay while making it still easy to install. The only time you may see the engine twisting in a sideways manner is if your engine and transmission mounts are all in horrible shape. That is why I do not want people thinking that this torque link can be a substitution for having good engine mounts. If your engine mounts are clearly broken or very weak, it would be best to replace those with polyurethane mounts first, then proceed with this mod.

On my 92 Maxima 3.5 Swap, my stock transmission mounts are filled with PU as well as the 4th gen Maxima engine mounts I am using. The front mount on the timing cover is a solid metal bracket. The engine does still twist and I need to design another torque link for my particular engine swap. The swap was completed just about a month ago. So I'm still working on tuning the engine. But as soon as I can, I will need to make some kind of torque link for my setup. My old VE has two different style torque links that worked great. One was a REALLY tight ratchet strap connecting the AC compressor mounting bracket to the front tow anchor point. And the other was a beefy strip of metal connecting the engine to a bolt on the crossmember. I have seen 3rd gen crossmembers break due to excessive torque and wheel hop, so that was not a good design for the 5.5 gen. That is why I decided to mount it straight to the engine bay frame. Must more solid!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
The 02 Maxima 6spd test vehicle is probably not laying down 240whp though. It has the following modifications:

Intake
NWP Spacers
Fidanza Flywheel
Testpipe
2.5" Catback Exhaust
350z HR Clutch
I know whose maxima that is
Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM

It's ok. All I can do is test this as much as it possibly can be tested in the current test vehicle. And we also plan to test this further in much higher HP engines. But having no engine movement is best for performance as long as the mounting locations are strong enough, which is your main concern.

Intake
NWP Spacers
Fidanza Flywheel
Testpipe
2.5" Catback Exhaust
350z HR Clutch

It has been tested for several hundred hard driven miles on the street though. We plan to test this even further to make sure the Torque Link can hold up well with higher HP engines (350+HP). It won't be hard to find another test vehicle. But with all the testing we have conducted over the past several months, the only con would be a small increase in vibrations, which is expected. There have been absolutely no frame damage what so ever. And of course, I am keeping a close eye on this because I will always do everything I can to make sure every single customer is happy with the product and design quality.
I have your thermal spacers on my car, so I know you make a very high quality product. Thanks for clearing up my questions. I'm definately in to see the test results on a higher HP car. In the end I know you wouldn't release a product that you could not stand behind.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I have your thermal spacers on my car, so I know you make a very high quality product. Thanks for clearing up my questions. I'm definately in to see the test results on a higher HP car. In the end I know you wouldn't release a product that you could not stand behind.
Thanks. I do not mind the questions. The main purposes of this thread was to determine if there was any interest in such a product and if you guys had any particular concerns or questions.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Most autos do not suffer from wheel hop, but they do still have traction issues.
If this torque link will reduce wheelspin, then I am definitely interested.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:46 PM

my interest is also growing
Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 PM

After all the posts and the picture I am in for one. I'm making this my next mod.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:54 PM

thank you aaron for answering not only my ?'s but everyones...as always you run your buisness in a very professional way... that being said... is there a total number being produced?or a running list or ..? either way... i guess ill start it.. if it doesnt belong here then mods can delete my post

1.Mist Max2000
Old 06-06-2009, 05:16 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by mist max2000
thank you aaron for answering not only my ?'s but everyones...as always you run your buisness in a very professional way... that being said... is there a total number being produced?or a running list or ..? either way... i guess ill start it.. if it doesnt belong here then mods can delete my post

1.Mist Max2000
Thank you. This will not be a group purchase or anything so there is no need to keep a list. We are simply going to start keeping these kits in stock and we will continue to try to keep them in stock on a regular basis.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 PM

1) I have had my engine in my 3rd gen (VE30DE) locked down 100% of the time for the past 5+ years. So if you like how it drives on the street, then yes, you can leave it connected.
2) For those people out there that really do not want increased vibrations, then you will probably need to disconnect the torque link on the street. But the test vehicle owner (SurraTT), was barely able to notice increased vibrations even when he really tightened the engine down. This was tested on an 02 Maxima 6spd.
3) Yes, full installation instructions with pictures will be included in every kit.
4) I will see if I can dig up a reference pic of the torque link installed. It will just be a very rough prototype, but it will give you an idea how it bolts up.
5) No modifications needed AT ALL. You simply bolt up and go.
This is why I like you and your products man. I have the spacers, have the block plate...put me down for ETL (yeah, I'm starting the acronym for the record...!) Looking forward to it.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 PM

a chain and a few bolts and washers work just as well! Less than $8....
Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 AM

i want one pending fitment on the 5th gen
Old 06-07-2009, 01:23 AM

i'm getting interested also.. glad to hear you're continuing to make mods for our cars
Old 06-07-2009, 05:15 AM

You know if you ever move your shop to florida and come back down this way, I'd be more then happy to be your test vehicle.

On a good note, like others have said its nice to see someone putting effort into our cars. Nice work. I'm still awaiting to get the block plate and spacers, not I'll await the word on these as well. The picture looks like thats a good spot to have that torque end link.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Play with my balls

I'm here. Done!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:23 PM

i'm definitely interested.. i just don't like the fact that idle vibration would be increased that's the only reason i don't have the ES motor mounts
Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 PM

yea i would like to see what the vibrations are like but im really interested, pending $$$ well just to add datdude20 is also interested, he just hasnt posted or logged in
Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Play with my balls

Vibrations with the ES mounts aren't as bad as people imagine. It is still stiff without this mod, but this would make the motor even more firm. Does it really matter though when all you have to do is undo 1 bolt to not have it attached? Track purposes is what my main use will be. If it's not devastating, then I'll probably run it permanently.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:44 AM

I would be in for this but I dont think I would have the room
Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 AM

The benefits of the ES mounts are undeniable.

Mine's a daily driver, so I'll just lurk here waiting for feedback on the ETL's effect on vibration. If the overall consensus describes vibration as a minor compromise, I'll be on-board too.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 AM

You realize you are talking about a difference of about 20 whp between a 240 whp car and the test vehicle...that is not going to change much of anything. If you were talking about 50+whp then maybe, 100+ whp then definitely, but 20 whp is not going to change anything..
Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by wyche89
i'm definitely interested.. i just don't like the fact that idle vibration would be increased that's the only reason i don't have the ES motor mounts
That's why we designed it so easy to unbolt. Takes only a few seconds. All you will need is a 19mm or 3/4" open ended wrench to loosen the lock nuts, remove tension on the torque link by turning it a few times, then remove the safety clip and then the pin holding the torque link to the bracket. It should only take about 20 seconds to remove the torque link.

Originally Posted by VQpwrdSpeC
I would be in for this but I dont think I would have the room
Haha. Sorry. I think you will have to fab up something on your own on that VQ35 Sentra!

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
You realize you are talking about a difference of about 20 whp between a 240 whp car and the test vehicle...that is not going to change much of anything. If you were talking about 50+whp then maybe, 100+ whp then definitely, but 20 whp is not going to change anything..
Yes, 20-50whp isn't going to make much of a difference. I would like to personally test this on a 400+whp turbocharged or nitrous 6spd. It's the harsh shifts into the next gear and when boost kicks in or when nitrous get sprayed when the engine wants to jump out of the engine bay!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Play with my balls

125 shot here......
Old 06-08-2009, 11:16 AM

That's why we designed it so easy to unbolt. Takes only a few seconds. All you will need is a 19mm or 3/4" open ended wrench to loosen the lock nuts, remove tension on the torque link by turning it a few times, then remove the safety clip and then the pin holding the torque link to the bracket. It should only take about 20 seconds to remove the torque link.

Haha. Sorry. I think you will have to fab up something on your own on that VQ35 Sentra!

Yes, 20-50whp isn't going to make much of a difference. I would like to personally test this on a 400+whp turbocharged or nitrous 6spd. It's the harsh shifts into the next gear and when boost kicks in or when nitrous get sprayed when the engine wants to jump out of the engine bay!
Yeah, I know, I was more just clearing that idea up for skidz. These things are a great mod for any fwd car!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
125 shot here......
Are you going to be spraying that at MAXUS 09?

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
Yeah, I know, I was more just clearing that idea up for skidz. These things are a great mod for any fwd car!
Thank you.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Aaron,

Fellow orger fromm Las Vegas still subscribing....
I would love to check out your 3rd gen at Maxus. Won't be able to attend though.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Play with my balls

Are you going to be spraying that at MAXUS 09?
Booo

Unfortunately not. I won't be able to be there this year for numerous reasons. Car's not done, lease is up, and moving that weekend. Maybe we should do a Maxus 09.5......... Sorry, hope to see you there next year. I still need to come up and check out that beast of yours brotha!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Next year's should be in the West Coast.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Any chance this could possibly fit a 02-04 Altima? If so, I'm all in!

Took some pictures:

Guess not.

Last edited by 2002AltimateV6; 06-08-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Aaron,

Fellow orger fromm Las Vegas still subscribing....
I would love to check out your 3rd gen at Maxus. Won't be able to attend though.
Too bad! It would be a fun road trip for you.

Booo

Unfortunately not. I won't be able to be there this year for numerous reasons. Car's not done, lease is up, and moving that weekend. Maybe we should do a Maxus 09.5......... Sorry, hope to see you there next year. I still need to come up and check out that beast of yours brotha!
I hope to be hitting a couple different tracks this Fall or Winter to see how fast I can get this 3rd gen to move. If you want to drive out to Fayetteville for a mini-meet sometime this year, that would be fun.

Originally Posted by 2002AltimateV6
Any chance this could possibly fit a 02-04 Altima? If so, I'm all in!

Took some pictures:
IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/DarkLeathe/DSC01352.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/DarkLeathe/DSC01353.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/DarkLeathe/DSC01354.jpg[/IMG]

Guess not.
I'm sorry. This particular design will not fit the 02-06 Altima 3.5L. The front engine mount is a completely different style and according to your pictures, the bolt holes for the lower bracket aren't in the right position. But I could possibly put this project on the table for the future if you feel there may be demand.

Thanks for the pics though!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Play with my balls

I hope to be hitting a couple different tracks this Fall or Winter to see how fast I can get this 3rd gen to move. If you want to drive out to Fayetteville for a mini-meet sometime this year, that would be fun.
Absolutely, I look forward to it. Should be a good time. I'm sure I'll make it to The Rock this year. Hope to see you there.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Absolutely, I look forward to it. Should be a good time. I'm sure I'll make it to The Rock this year. Hope to see you there.
The Rock is a long ways from me. Unless it's a huge event, it will be tough for me to make the trip out there since I would have to get a hotel room.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Play with my balls

The Rock is a long ways from me. Unless it's a huge event, it will be tough for me to make the trip out there since I would have to get a hotel room.
Gotcha. Didn't know how far away you were from there. I'm about an hour and a half away myself. Either way, we'll make it work.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Too bad! It would be a fun road trip for you.

You're right.
Can't get out of work for that long though.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 PM

yeah, but the main reason i would get this is to have smooth shifting for daily driving, not just racing.. i guess i can't have the best of both worlds for everyday use... unless of course i get a BMW
Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by wyche89
yeah, but the main reason i would get this is to have smooth shifting for daily driving, not just racing.. i guess i can't have the best of both worlds for everyday use... unless of course i get a BMW
Are you motor mounts in good shape?

This Engine Torque Link will still help your shifts, especially when you want to shift quickly into the next gear.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 PM

It's kind of silly, I have been sketching some bracket to lock my 2k1 engine. Back in the old time we use to chain the engine so it doesn't moved and I was thinking of doing it for the max but the chain look hideous so I have started sketching some bracket in 3ds max. If your kit work for my 2k1, then count me in and my bolted bracket will never take life. Lol
Old 06-10-2009, 12:53 PM

This Engine Torque Link will still help your shifts, especially when you want to shift quickly into the next gear.
Why is that, please? Honestly, the STS mod sometimes makes it possible to shift too quickly. I'm not sure how much quicker I'd want to shift. So what's the connection between smoother shifting and an engine that's locked down?

I'm giving consideration to this ETL because of the improvements realized by solid poly mounts. More of that would be nice.

(I'm all for improved shifting... now if you could magically make the infamous 3rd-gear-crunch go away, then you'd really have something!)

Quick Reply: The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link - Interest Thread