5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VB Removal and Mod Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 05:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

VB Removal and Mod Install

Hey guys! I gotta few questions for those of you that have removed your own VB to get Don's or Level 10 recalibration done. I looked over the instructions Don's page and wanted to know if there were any hidden tricks I should know about. What tools will I need to do the job? Will I need to change the tranny fluid/filter when I do the VB swap? Are Don's instructions detailed enough so that I won't need to look for or find any additional info for the job? How long should it take for someone who isn't the most mechanically inclined but can follow directions pretty well? Any additional info you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:46 PM

Re: VB Removal and Mod Install

Originally posted by SC2K1
Hey guys! I gotta few questions for those of you that have removed your own VB to get Don's or Level 10 recalibration done. I looked over the instructions Don's page and wanted to know if there were any hidden tricks I should know about. What tools will I need to do the job? Will I need to change the tranny fluid/filter when I do the VB swap? Are Don's instructions detailed enough so that I won't need to look for or find any additional info for the job? How long should it take for someone who isn't the most mechanically inclined but can follow directions pretty well? Any additional info you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys.
I did it about a year ago and as some people can tell you (paul6speed, mingo, mdeal......), I am not very mechanically inclined at all. If you do it very carefully and are a complete novice like I am, the removal will take you about an hour. Don's instructions are perfect and are very clear once you get under the car and look. It's amazing what that will do for you. I studied Don's instructions for a couple of days and thought that there was no way I was ever going to be able to do it. Then I got under the car and looked and what the picture portrayed and it was VERY clear and straightforward. You will have to change the tranny fluid because it will all come out when you take the vb out so you might as well change it then. Don suggested to put back in regular Nissan to make sure everything works right when you put it back together and then after about 30 days, put in synthetic. That way if you screw up and you have to take the vb back out, you aren't throwing away $60 - $70 worth of tranny fluid. Tools will be a socket wrench with a 10mm socket and one big enough for the tranny drain bolt, but I don't remember what that was right now, a lot of cloths to clean up your mess, brake fluid cleaner to keep everything clean and a lot of patience. Only thing is to be careful when you remove the last bolt because the vb is heavy and you don't want to drop it! Otherwise, it's pretty simple and if I can do it, anyone can. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2001, 07:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the info!!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 AM
no more maxima...

...back from the dead
Does anyone here have a link to Don's page with the VB install write up? I have seen another write up by Jime, but I would like to see if there are any others out there. Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 AM

We Want The Write-up!!!